Sour cream?

Joey

No, not the real stuff. I'm wondering if there's anything with a similar texture or tang in our realm. I know some people have had success culturing coconut cream, which would be ideal, but so far my attempts have met with failure. I used to make a cashew version that was good, though not anything like dairy sour cream, but I'm avoiding nuts at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas? Or anyone have any experience culturing coconut cream who could advise me?

• 2 weeks later...

Take a can of coconut milk..refrigerate over night. Then open the can and take the separated fat out (creamy stuff at top). Put in two teaspoons white vinegar or more if you want it stronger. You can use it right away or put it back in the refrig. It tastes awesome.

• 1 month later...

The above method worked amazingly well for me, too. Because coconut fat melts at such a low temperature it won't hold its texture on warm food but it still tastes awesome. We used it on chocolate chili. Yum.

I have not found much to do with the liquid left behind - we use the cream in our coffee & tea and go through about a can a week. If anyone does have a use for it I'd be glad to hear it!

I go for homemade mayo with a bit of lemon added. It gives it just the right bite.

I am having spag sauce over spaghetti squash tonight. I'm going to try the mayo with lemon trick. Can't wait. Not that I EVER put sour cream on spag, but it just sounds good to me right now. I'm a bit obsessed with my mayo these days. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely love to know how you do this

Sorry I took so long to reply!

I bought some dairy kefir grains from Cultures for Health and use them with canned coconut milk. I fill a quart jar with two cans of the good stuff and stir in the grains (which aren't grains, they are a culture that look like couscous.) Cover the jar with a paper towel and rubber band and let it sit at room temperature for 2-3 days. The longer it cultures, the thicker and tangier the kefir gets. I like 72 hours for maximum tangy deliciousness. I spoon it over berries for the most delicious dessert.

Archived