Canned cod liver

Reposting this here because I'm not sure if moderators have the time to read all those logs:

I was having my delicious cod liver lunch (canned cod liver + coconutty pumpkin stuff) today and realized in the middle of melt-on-the-tongue creaminess induced bliss that it's actually really fatty. I checked and the nutrition facts say it's got 8g protein and 33g fat per 100g. Now, I'm not afraid of the good stuff aka fat at all but I wonder if that makes it unfit to be my "main protein" of the meal. Should I "calculate" cod liver as a fat source instead and use something else as my protein?

(Finished off a bag of dried anchovis for dessert, just to be on the "protein safe side" of things  ;) )

Thanks in advance! <3

• Moderators

You are raising an interesting issue.

I assume you are not eating cod liver more than occasionally, so it should not be a problem if you are eating more conventional protein sources at other times. Just be mindful that cod liver contributes little to your daily protein consumption and that you need your protein at other meals. So on a day when you eat cod liver, you might want to have a palm and a half or two palm-size portions of protein at another meal. 

Thanks, Tom!

Yeah, I'm maybe having it once or every other week or so. I absolutely love the taste and could have it every day but I'm trying to be an adult here and vary my protein sources a bit (and not rely too heavily on canned stuff). :)

Archived