Suggestion For The Site Admins

WholeAlaska

Hi Whole 30 Crew-

Was thinking it might be helpful, from a support perspective, if rather than just individual Whole 30 logs, there could be a monthly sub-group for each month. For instance, there are several folks that started July 1. If those folks had their own sub thread, ie, July 1, 2014 Group, then all those folks would have their own place to collaborate and provide support for one another. Folks (like me that started on June 24) could just jump in with the nearest month group that is appropriate. So 12 sub-groups per year, so that newcomers and repeat folks have a place to hang out with others undergoing the same journey at the same time as opposed to posting standalone log threads.

I only mention this as I make and support social websites for a living, and this model, albeit in different genres, has worked well to build and reinforce support and community. Just my humble 2 cents!

Happy 4th of July Everyone! Can anyone say "Guilt free, grass fed, fat left on, steaks on the BBQ!!" :D

People are free to create sub-groups or post on their own individual log: the forum has the flexibility to do either or both.  An an example, there is currently a July 1st group thread that has 5 pages of posts: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20173-july-1-support-thread/

From a moderation perspective, it's generally easier to review and provide support on individual threads vs. group threads - some of the more active group threads move very quickly.

• Moderators

The truth is that moderators cannot get to every post that is added to the Whole30 forum, so we need participants to share their knowledge and experience and to offer support to each other. I wish group threads were a good solution to making sure everyone got help, but I don't like group threads at all. 

What I see as a moderator is that groups of people new to the Whole30 often develop strong personalities that create their own rules and guidelines about what is acceptable during a Whole30.

It is in the group threads that we see people excusing eating off-plan foods as no big deal or a simple accident, and advise the eater to just keep going and to not worry about it. There are a few situations where a moderator may say something similar, but not in response to eating dairy, soy, MSG, carrageenan, etc. And not in response to, "I was bored with my food, so I ate x, y, z."  The Whole30 is not open to personal opinion. It is a strict elimination diet that cannot be modified and remain a Whole30. Group threads too often seem to confuse being supportive of people with telling them that their behavior is always okay.

It is in the group threads where we see meals that fail to meet Whole30 standards celebrated as good ideas and adopted by others. Monkey salad, paleo pancakes, and other such Sex With Your Pants On meals show up in these places. The Whole30 is not the wild, wild west of Paleo where anything you want can be made with "Paleo" ingredients and be acceptable. Yet when moderators try to rein this enthusiasm in in group threads, we are often ignored or told to butt out.

We don't stop people from creating and participating in group threads here, but the "lifeguards" in group threads may not be all that I want for participants.

• 3 weeks later...

The truth is that moderators cannot get to every post that is added to the Whole30 forum, so we need participants to share their knowledge and experience and to offer support to each other. I wish group threads were a good solution to making sure everyone got help, but I don't like group threads at all. 

What I see as a moderator is that groups of people new to the Whole30 often develop strong personalities that create their own rules and guidelines about what is acceptable during a Whole30.

It is in the group threads that we see people excusing eating off-plan foods as no big deal or a simple accident, and advise the eater to just keep going and to not worry about it. There are a few situations where a moderator may say something similar, but not in response to eating dairy, soy, MSG, carrageenan, etc. And not in response to, "I was bored with my food, so I ate x, y, z."  The Whole30 is not open to personal opinion. It is a strict elimination diet that cannot be modified and remain a Whole30. Group threads too often seem to confuse being supportive of people with telling them that their behavior is always okay.

It is in the group threads where we see meals that fail to meet Whole30 standards celebrated as good ideas and adopted by others. Monkey salad, paleo pancakes, and other such Sex With Your Pants On meals show up in these places. The Whole30 is not the wild, wild west of Paleo where anything you want can be made with "Paleo" ingredients and be acceptable. Yet when moderators try to rein this enthusiasm in in group threads, we are often ignored or told to butt out.

We don't stop people from creating and participating in group threads here, but the "lifeguards" in group threads may not be all that I want for participants.

The group support I have found here has been the number one best thing about the program. 

I've just been reading an aug 1st support group and amazed by all the references to icecream, sun butter, smoothies and lots of I don't care if I'm breaking the rules I'm doing it my way attitudes so I totally get Tom's point ... Sad how group think can mutate....

On the flip side I am still in touch with about 10 people I did a whole100 with last year and our group threads have been very supportive and compliant.... Most of us kept individual logs for peer review and assistance so the group log was more a cheering squad which worked well I think

I've just been reading an aug 1st support group and amazed by all the references to icecream, sun butter, smoothies and lots of I don't care if I'm breaking the rules I'm doing it my way attitudes so I totally get Tom's point ... Sad how group think can mutate....

On the flip side I am still in touch with about 10 people I did a whole100 with last year and our group threads have been very supportive and compliant.... Most of us kept individual logs for peer review and assistance so the group log was more a cheering squad which worked well I think

Please feel free to chime in on those things when you read them. I've personally found it super hard to wade through those group threads. You can also help us out by PMing your favorite moderator if you think something needs attention adding a link to the particular post.

I've just been reading an aug 1st support group and amazed by all the references to icecream, sun butter, smoothies and lots of I don't care if I'm breaking the rules I'm doing it my way attitudes

Ha, and today is August 2nd -- wow!  Good luck with your "Whole 30", folks!  Unbelievable.   :D

Guest Andria

Ha! I responded to someone in the August 1 thread who had a blatant " I don't care if this is SWYO" attitude.  Melbournegirl was probably reading the exchanges I was having with said person. It felt a bit confrontational, so I left. I wondered about notifying a moderator. I didn't know if reporting or flagging the post was overkill. Now I know.  

Archived