Start Date 7.7.14

JennM

Hello,

My name is Jenn. I'm 48. Married with 3 teenage sons. My coworker did the Whole 30 back in March. I thought at first she was crazy (no beans, no sugar, no dairy, no grains...what?!). But everyday she would show up with amazing food for lunch so it peaked my interest. She lent me "It Starts with Food" and I read it cover to cover. I was convinced I should give it a try. I have tried various diets over the past 25 years (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Nutrisystem). They have worked, to a point. When I was in my 20's, 30's I would lose weight fairly easily. However, recently, I have tried Weight Watchers and South Beach and no matter how carefully I planned my meals or how little I ate, I couldn't lose weight. I was left feeling frustrated and starving all the time. On those other diets, I was still eating grains, sugar, legumes, processed foods, and dairy - and felt icky all the time. I am viewing Whole 30, not as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. I want to lose weight, yes. But more importantly, I want to feel better (more energy, better sleep, less allergies, less blah).

I have spent the last two weeks getting ready (more trips to Frazier Farms, less to Vons). I stopped buying snacks and junk food, more veggies and fruit. No more red wine with dinner. I am collecting Whole 30 recipes, making a meal plan, and beginning a log of my journey here. I plan on starting Day 1 on Monday, July 7. I'm excited!

My dilemma...my family! My husband has Type 2 Diabetes yet his favorite meal is a gigantic bowl of cereal with milk. My kids and husband go through 5 gallons of milk a week. Two of my sons are athletes. My husband and 2 of my sons are hesitantly open to Whole 30. 1 of my sons is downright against it (my 18 year old athlete). Two of my sons are very picky eaters and my husband insists he can't live without milk.

My plan is as I am the primary shopper and chef, they have no choice but to go Whole 30 with me as there won't be grains, dairy, sugar, etc. in the house anymore. However, I am concerned that my athletic sons won't have enough food to keep them going. I can't afford 3 pounds of high quality, grass-fed meats at every meal.

I would love to hear from others with a similar problem. How did you approach a family that is resistant or have a family with 3 very hungry teenagers?

Thanks everyone. Jenn

PS My personal hurdle is my coffee. I LOVE coffee with lots of cream and sugar. I tried drinking it with coconut milk and it seemed like the milk curdled and the chunks made it very unappealing. Any suggestions on yummy, creamy coffee that is Whole 30 friendly?

Welcome Jenn!

I don't have children, but I have some points for you to consider.

1. Whole30 does not require you to have grass fed meat at every meal. To shop on a budget, take a look at this article of tips: http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

2. On the coconut milk in your coffee, first was it compliant coconut milk in a can, vs. a box (no sugar, sweeteners, carrageenan or sulfites)?  As far as blending coconut milk into coffee, ideally use an immersion blender to emulsify it (stirring it in with a spoon doesn't quite work).  My personal favorite is Trader Joe's coconut cream blended in this way into coffee - yum!

3. If you are able to get your sons on board, recognize their athletic performance may drop or stall initially, until they become fully fat adapted (might take a few weeks eating Whole30 style for this to occur).

Thanks, Chris.

I will check out the article. The coconut milk was Thai Kitchen unsweetened in a can. Ingredients Coconut milk and guar gum. I just bought a new brand that does not contain guar gum. I will give the TJ's coconut cream and immersion blender a try! Jenn

The milk problem was me.   I was drinking 1 1/2 cups cream aday.   I'm completely familiar with the Type 2 diabetes issues, too.

My motherinlaw, grandfather, 2 uncles, 2 aunts, 1 cousin and friend have all died of Type 2 diabetes.  One was in their 30's.

My motherinlaw drank a large quantity of milk every day of her life.  She would not quit, even with serious complications of Type 2 diabetes.  She was hooked since birth on milk,  she refused to get it under control.   

I drank 12 cups of coffee with cream every day for 14 years.  I gained weight and was headed for the marble orchards.   I've stopped that after 30 days.  

Yummy coffee.... I'm choosing to reduce my coffee from 2 large cups down to 1 per day.   I no longer add cream.   I use 1 teaspoon of Macadamia Nut oil for each cup with spices.   Nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and sometimes black pepper/red pepper.

Wish you well with your family.   Lead by example and they'll come along.  It's happening for me.   My husband wasn't interested but is now eating 1 or 2 of my meals.  

Thanks, Chris.

I will check out the article. The coconut milk was Thai Kitchen unsweetened in a can. Ingredients Coconut milk and guar gum. I just bought a new brand that does not contain guar gum. I will give the TJ's coconut cream and immersion blender a try! Jenn

Thai Kitchen is compliant. Guar gum is ok on a Whole30.

Hope you enjoy the coconut cream!

Archived