Best info on making Clarified Butter

BevB

I put it in the slow cooker on low and cook it until the solids turn brown and drop to the bottom.  You need to take the lid off at some point or you get water retained.  Last time I put a kitchen towel under the lid and it soaked up the excess water.

• 2 weeks later...

This may seem like a dumb question, but does making your own clarified butter significantly reduce the amount of butter you end up with after the process? I am afraid I'll spend lots of money on $4/8oz of Kerrygold butter only to end up with 2 oz. 

• 1 month later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

I liked this site because it had pictures :)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

When I was looking for instructions some website had a comment from a reader about making sure the solids actually brown a bit before you consider it "done".  Once you do this... honest, it tastes like caramel to me!  You need to watch carefully at the end though because it goes from perfectly browned to burnt pretty quick :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may seem like a dumb question, but does making your own clarified butter significantly reduce the amount of butter you end up with after the process? I am afraid I'll spend lots of money on $4/8oz of Kerrygold butter only to end up with 2 oz. 

I know you posted 6 months ago and may have figured this out, but I bought Kerrygold butter at Costco for $6.99 and it was 24 oz. I felt like I hit the jackpot.

Archived