Can we pick it out?

Nessaldc

I was wondering if we were allowed to eat things that had a non-compliant ingredient and just pick it out. Yesterday my mom made a chicken and potato mixture for tostadas. I almost just picked out the potatoes so I could eat the chicken with lettuce but decided not to. Tomorrow my mother in law is making pozole for a cousin who is visiting from Texas. I was wondering if I could just take out the hominy and eat the broth and chicken. Not looking for loop holes, just love chicken with broth, but I'm on day 16 so I don't need a reset lol I've stayed away from most of my wonderful Mexican meals so far. Just thought maybe this one could work somehow

Potato would have been ok to pick around, as it's non-compliant for more psychological reasons than dietary ones. I'm not sure about the hominy though.

My instinct is to agree with this. Could you ask your mother to make a small batch without the hominy? Are you sure the broth she is using is compliant as well?

yeah, the think with hominy is that it serves to thicken the broth: you couldn't pick it out because it is actually in the broth itself. Assuming your mother-in-law is using compliant broth, I think Bethany's suggestion is a good one: ask her to set some chicken and broth aside before adding the hominy so you can eat that portion.

Archived