Accidental non-compliant sushi=migraine?

So today is day 28 for me and at dinner my husband and I ate sushi. I made the sushi annoyed (and the rest of the staff laugh) with my requests, but I found a roll wrapped in cucumber that seemed to fit the bill. However, 30 minutes after eating I started feeling dizzy, a bit nauseous, and then a terrible headache on the right side of my head that is worse with movement. Migraine, right? So now I'm thinking, what was non-compliant? My best guess is that the crab meat was imitation crab. So my question: anyone know what is in that "crab" so I can avoid it? This migraine is awful.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Your best bet is to call the restaurant. Explain you had some sort of allergic reaction to what you ordered and ask if they could provide a detailed list of ingredients in the food (including the ingredients in the ingredients - like the crab) as you are trying to determine what it is you were sensitive to. Be super polite about it.

oh no. sorry this happened to you. Imitation crab is usually made with wheat/gluten, and might have had soy and/or MSG as well. Nasty stuff. I hope you feel better soon!

Here is the ingredient list for a fake crab product called Trans Ocean Crab Classic, which I think is pretty typical: Alaska Pollock, Water, Egg Whites, Wheat Starch, Sugar, Corn Starch, Sorbitol, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: King Crab Meat, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Extracts of Crab, Oyster, Scallop, Lobster and Fish (Salmon, Anchovy, Bonito, Cutlassfish), Refined Fish Oil (Adds a Trivial Amount of Fat) (Anchovy, Sardine), Rice Wine (Rice, Water, Koji, Yeast, Salt), Sea Salt,Modified Tapioca Starch, Carrageenan, Yam Flour, Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn, and Wheat Proteins, Potassium Chloride, Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Carmine, Paprika.

Archived