Day 7, first postpartum af

Etchnsketch

I have been nursing my 10mo old since day 1 and haven't had a period since Nov 2012. I was very irregular pre pregnancy and could go entire years without a period for no apparent reason. Unfortunately the price for few periods was that every time Aunt Flo reared her head, I was out for the count. I would have blackouts, severe cramping (to the point that I literally had to crawl to the bathroom), terrible break outs and an uncontrollable need to eat. Well, this morning, bright an early at 1am, I started my first postpartum period. It was a surprise, periods are never a surprise, I usually am feeling the cramps days in advance. It's now 9:30am and I haven't had one cramp and have been completely level. No dizziness no nothing. This is great :D. Is this how periods are supposed to be? Should I attribute my lack of discomfort to Whole30 eating (day 7)? Did Whole30 kick start my postpartum period to begin with? Oh an now it seems like my milk is gone... The baby was so hungry I had to give her formula :(

congrats on getting your period (and a relatively pleasant one as well)! That part is great, and yes, changes in hormones and resulting changes in menstruation are very common on the whole30, and it likely played some role. yay!

Now to the concerning part: there is nothing about the foods people eat during the whole30 that would cause someone to lose their milk. In fact, whole30 eating should be conducive to more and better milk production (whole foods, plenty of good fats, etc). AND YET over and over again we see people with reduced milk production on the whole30 and it breaks my heart every time.

This is what I suspect is going on: when eating the SAD diet, people have pretty small portions of veggies and meat, and they fill the rest of their plate with bread and pasta and grains. They supplement this diet with lots of fruit and juice and soda and sweetened tea (and sometimes chips and snacks and popcorn and ice cream and etc). When they come to the whole30, they often just take the portion of veggies and meat they used to eat and say that's it! I'm on a diet!* This is all I get. Now, I'm not saying you come from the most extreme SAD diet, but if this phenomena is happening for you, even a little, we have our answer: you need to eat way more food to support your milk production (maybe more water too). Nursing moms should be eating at least four template meals every single day+snacks as needed. Don't skimp on anything: plenty of starchy carbs, plenty of protein and fat and vegetables, and I suspect things will turn around for you.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

*I get that you might have baby weight you are trying to address, and please please trust me that eating enough is much more likely to lead to weight loss. You are trying to get hormones in balance to a place where your body is running optimally. That requires fuel.

I am trying to work more food into my meals a little at a time since I am having issues eating as much as the template says I should. But, I think my milk problem might be because of my sudden period but am not sure. I do eat 2 servings of fruit daily to provide fast burning carbs for my milk production to lessen the hit it might take from the diet itself. I just hope my milk picks back up in the next day or two, but we have formula just in case.

I am trying to work more food into my meals a little at a time since I am having issues eating as much as the template says I should. But, I think my milk problem might be because of my sudden period but am not sure. I do eat 2 servings of fruit daily to provide fast burning carbs for my milk production to lessen the hit it might take from the diet itself. I just hope my milk picks back up in the next day or two, but we have formula just in case.

oh honey, eat MORE. Two servings of fruit is hardly anything in this context. If you can't meet the template, add another meal of the same size or two or more meals of that size. You need nourishment, don't skimp.

Are you eating a lot of starchy vegetables? I don't understand all of the science exactly but you will get a better benefit from the starch in vegetables than the sugar in fruit. Not that having the fruit is bad. Keep working on increasing your portions until they fit the template and do add a 4th meal. If you want more specific feedback on how to tweek your meals for better milk supply support you could post a few days of your food log and we'd be happy to make suggestions.

I will post yesterday's and today's meals:

Saturday

M1: 2 eggs, 1 cup broccoli, 1 tbsp coconut oil, coffee (only after I can't possibly eat anymore)

M2: hand sized portion of chicken and salsa, 1 cup veggies (carrots, broccoli, potatoes) cooked in clarified butter

M3: hand sized portion of homemade shepherds pie

Snack: shared a banana with the baby

Sunday

M1: same as Saturday

M2: Palm sized portion of orange chicken (basically chicken cooked in fresh squeezed orange juice) and 1 cup broccoli cooked in clarified butter

M3: Palm sized portion of baked pork chop, tbsp mushrooms, 1/2 cup potatoes, cup veggies (cauliflower, carrots and broccoli) cooked in coconut oil

Snack: orange and a cup of watermelon

I realize potatoes are a no go on the whole30, but I loathe sweet potatoes and have never been a potato chip/fries person so the reason listed on the "why you can't have this" list seemed a bit arbitrary to me. I normally don't eat potatoes often, but yesterday was my big weekly cook up and I bought too many potatoes this week.

You are certainly not eating enough. For eggs you should eat as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping them when they are whole. Unless you are tiny that is probably going to be 3. You could eat 3 times as much vegetables as you are listing here and still only hit the minimum of the template. When eating fruit try to have it during your meals. If this is really all you can eat in a single sitting then I would add 2 or 3 more meals of the same size. What I have seen work for some people is making a template sized meal and eating until they can't anymore and than having the leftovers when they are hungry again.

If you don't like sweet potatoes you do not need to eat them. But you do need starchy vegetables. Beets, winter squash, parsnips, plantains, etc...there are lots to choose from. I know the potato rule seems arbitrary but it is a rule so please do refrain if you want to be fully compliant.

I think you could also increase your fat servings. Cooking fat usually stays in the pan so maybe up the portion on that.

Out of curiosity how different is this from the way you were eating pre-Whole30?

Pre-Whole30, I would eat bread a few times a week, I'd have homemade cookies or other homemade dessert for mid afternoon snacks, I didn't eat breakfast but instead had my coffee (still black). We are a lot of soy sauce since I did a lot of stir fries. Essentially my day would look like:

B: coffee

L: sandwich or left overs

D: stirfry and rice or stew/chili and crackers

S: cookies or any other sweet treat (usually homemade)

I would literally binge on ice cream whenever I felt stressed and at way more cookies in one sitting than any normal human being should. The majority of my daily calories came from my snacks.

I ate breakfast according to template today and I almost puked it all back up. 3 eggs and 3 cups of veggies drizzled in coconut oil and seasoned with pepper (I am a pepper addict). I am barely choking down my coffee 3 hrs later and am nursing a glass of water. I feel like I just had Thanksgiving and Christmas all in the same meal blegh. I don't think I can eat this much for 2 more meals today, but I will try. My milk is doing well this morning though, still not seeming to fill the baby up but I gave her some some of my veggies at breakfast in addition to her oatmeal and apple sauce, so she didn't seem to mind too much. It took 2 separate nursing sessions to fill her tummy up enough to take a nap, but she's down for now. Last night she was up every couple of hours and nursing like she was starving, poor thing, so breakfast was well received by her this morning.

...it's almost lunch time and I am still so full... I might have to put off lunch until 2 or 3 this afternoon, which will mess up my schedule for dinner blegh...

you are on the right track! hang in there!

Is there a reason you aren't trying for four or five meals like we suggest above? That is one way to get the volume you need in while avoiding that  "overstuffed" feeling.

I just wanted to see if I could possibly eat the template at one meal. And goodness that is a lot of food. I will start breaking it up into more meals so I don't feel so sick lol.

Isn't it wonderful to be period-free for so long? After my daughter I had no period for over 2 years. 6 weeks shy of 3 years without a period. Heaven.

As far as milk production goes, it's also possible that your baby is going through a growth spurt and is demanding more. Keep feeding her as often as she seems hungry, and your milk should go back up!!

Archived