Perfect Storm

RedSparrow

I don't usually go around bragging, but today I feel like I could use some props. I decided to do Whole30 to repair my relationship with food: in spite of switching to a healthier diet (giving up sugar, reducing grains and dairy) a few years ago, I have remained a largely emotional eater and mostly just replaced the old unhealthy vices with newer, slightly healthier ones. Peanut butter... oh man. I used to sit in the kitchen when I got home from work and eat it by the spoonful. 

Anyway, in the last 7 days, here's what's happened: 
-Monday, day 1: my bike, which is my only form of transportation, got a flat which through a sitcom-esque series of snafus has still not been repaired

-Thursday, day 4: the guy I've been dating long distance for a year and a half sent me a text to tell me he met someone and wanted to put our relationship on hold to see where things with this new girl went

-Sunday, day 7: a wild period appears, a week early. Which explains the back pain (I had been attributing that to the increase in walking while the bike's been out of commission) and the crazy mood swings (previously blamed on Whole30 and heartbreak)

And... I haven't cheated! Even when all I wanted to do Thursday night was dissolve into a stereotype with a pint of ice cream and a sappy movie. I even went to the store and eyed the dried fruit- those dates and apricots were calling my name- but I left empty-handed. Friday, the 4th, I was craving a beer and a cookout; I had a grilled shrimp salad and lemon water instead. Last night all I wanted was to sit with a glass of wine and write, so I made a cup of tea. And today, I would give my left pinkie finger for some good dark chocolate and a glass of milk. But I made a commitment to change, and I'm sticking to it. Hurray!

Good for you for sticking to your resolve through all this emotional garbage! Stay strong! And my unsolicitated advice...kick the guy to the curb. You are worth more than that! Make sure he knows it.

I've got my pom poms out and I'm cheering for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived