safe coconut milk?!

• Moderators

Many canned coconut milks are okay. Guar gum is an acceptable additive. No coconut milk that comes in a carton in the refrigerated section of a store is likely to be okay - off plan ingredients are the problem with the stuff that comes in cartons. 

There's a lot of brands that are "clean" - even some cheap-o supermarket "home-brands". You just have to look around a bit and I'm sure you're gonna find one. For some reason, most supermarkets over here "hide" their variety of coconut milk by distributing them in different aisles (weird!)...

If you have an Asia shop near you that's probably your best (and cheapest) bet. They usually have many many brands to choose from. Mine also sells Aroy-d and it's quite cheap (while on Amazon that brand is rather expensive, as far as I remember).

I've been trying to find a cleaner coconut milk for a while.  Unfortunately neither Whole Foods nor any of the local coops seem to have anything, so I've been buying SO unsweetended coconut milk.  Can you help me determine what ingredients in here I should be avoiding?  

Here's the ingredients:

Organic coconut milk, calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, guar gum, xanthan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-2, LSelenomethionine (selinum), zinc oxide, folic acid, Vitamin B12

Here's a link to the product page.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-beverages/unsweetened

Thanks!

I've been trying to find a cleaner coconut milk for a while.  Unfortunately neither Whole Foods nor any of the local coops seem to have anything, so I've been buying SO unsweetended coconut milk.  Can you help me determine what ingredients in here I should be avoiding?  

Here's the ingredients:

Organic coconut milk, calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, guar gum, xanthan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-2, LSelenomethionine (selinum), zinc oxide, folic acid, Vitamin B12

Thanks!

Hmm when I look at the ingredient list on the website I see carageenan.  That is an off-plan ingredient.  

HELP! I like coconut milk in my morning coffee and I've been using the kind with carageenan, so I purchased Aroy-D 100% coconut milk from Amazon in prep for my W30 start next week. When it arrived I found a sticker on the side that reads: "Once opened shelf life is max 2 days in refrigerator."

2 days!! It's a 33.8 oz box. Is it really only 2 days in the fridge? If so, how do should I store it if I only need a couple of spoonfuls in my coffee? I guess I could freeze in ice trays, but is there a better way?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm when I look at the ingredient list on the website I see carageenan.  That is an off-plan ingredient.  

Interesting.  It does list carageenan on the website, but it doesn't on the carton I have.  I wasn't sure about the xanthan gum and the other additives so I didn't drink it.  I picked up some of the Aryo-D canned coconut milk at the local grocery store but found it to be a little too thick for my taste so I'm diluting it 2:1 and it's great.

For future reference Is xanthan gum okay?  How about guar gum or lactic acid?

Yes shelf life is sometimes a bit wonky with coconut milk.  If it is left in the can in the refrigerator it goes bad quickly.  If I use what I want and then empty the balance into a clean glass jar it lasts much longer.  (I have had it last for 2 weeks)

Coconut Milk is very reminiscent of sour milk if it goes "off".  I just keep on testing/using until it no longer tastes good.

you need to get the canned coconut milk, I prefer native forest organic.  Coconut milk in the can is located in thai/asian food section of your grocery store. Skip the carton stuff it's gross.  Just jar what you don't use, lasts about a week. Shake well

• 3 months later...

Golden Star is just coconut & water, no guar gum. This brand may be available locally in areas where Aroy-D isn't.  And it is a thicker texture than Aroy-D as well, which may be a factor, depending on your intended use.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, (I tweeted Whole30 for confirmation on this one) the SO Delicious unsweetened is OK, as is their new culinary coconut milk, which makes an awesome coffee lightener! I've finished my first Whole30 (60, really), but still mostly using the coconut milk in my coffee. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the ingredients:

Thanks!

I use the 365 brand from Whole Foods and it is compliant.  Coconut,water, guar gum.

Archived