Smoker starting on July 7th- need advice

pjxenia

I've been eating paleo-ish on and off for a while and have decided to finally start the whole 30 on July 7th. But, I'm still not sure if cigarettes will be part of it. I want to improve my eating, but quitting smoking is not in the near future. Not eating certain foods, no alcohol and not weighing myself (this is a whole other addiction of its own) is one thing, but cold turkey on cigarettes is completely different for me. Everywhere on forums they say to start the whole 30 after you quit, but that is indefinite, and I really want to at least tackle my unhealthy relationship with food. I was wondering if other smokers have done the whole 30 while still smoking, and if they were able to gain from the experience even with smoking in the mix. 

• Moderators

I think success with improving your eating habits could help you stop smoking sooner rather than later. You would not experience the full benefits of the Whole30 while smoking because of the toxic effects of smoke, but you could do yourself a lot of good eating better. 

The voice of reason has already spoken on this, but I've been where you are (quit smoking 5 years ago) and I think its highly admirable that you are looking to make changes rather than using the fact that you still smoke as an excuse to hold off indefinitely. One small change begets bigger and better changes, right? Good luck on your whole 30 and whatever it brings with it.

R

Archived