One week in and what a week it has been. Started my whole 30 last Monday, on Wednesday my 21 day old grandson was hospitalized with strep B-a very bad bug esp. in newborns...scared us silly.....leaving me to bring home the older three, ages 7, 5, and 2. Wow, Fear, stress, feeling helpless... But at the core of it all I know real life Will Happen every day, and I stayed committed to the whole 30. Having my sister as companion in my journey helped me stay accountable, too....The baby is doing great but had to suffer through a spinal tap, catheterization, multiple blood draws... Thank God the bacteria had not entered into his blood stream or spinal fluid.. Actually it started as a "weird" diaper rash my daughter did not like the looks of... Mother's intuition... And it is turning into a 10 day hospital stay. So I feel like a champ having nearly succumbed to coming home and cracking open a bottle of wine... And I think that is what So far I have missed this past week- booze! A glass of wine; beer or two on the 4th of July. But since I am being honest with myself, it is never a glass of wine. it is always half the bottle. It is always three pale ales or chocolate stouts. I will miss you beer, now that I am giving up grains ..... I just got the Nom Nom paleo app with tons of whole 30 recipes, have ordered well fed 1 and 2, and liked several paleo sites on facebook for recipes and inspiration. I like to cook but not so great at the clean up part.... I am not much of a grocery shopper either, and this is forcing me to get back to what is important!,,,I thought after raising and cooking for four kids, their buddies, & my husband all those years I could coast... But cooking and feeding yourself is a life-long thing....and I need to rekindle some kind of passion for it.... Hoping the inspiring things ordered will help. Right now, I've got nothing!

Sending healing thoughts to your grandson.  Don't try to do so much with the cooking right now.  Simple template meals that you can put together easily will do.  Ground beef or a chicken thigh, a good bunch of leafy greens (maybe wilted, like chard or kale), some avocado.  Dinner.  Not fancy, not elegant, not a recipe, but compliant. 

More healing thoughts going to your grandson, and kudos to you and your sister for hanging in there with Whole30.  Go easy, eat well, and let your imagination take over later, when you have time and less stress.  :wub:

Thanks for the support, Amy ; five more days until the gang can go home, and I can be my number one priority....Until the next crisis! Because there will always be something ! And all I can control is my response, take it as it comes, and keep on keepin on! Have a great day!

Nancy, I'm so impressed that you have stayed on plan this week. It will be so worth it in another week when you start feeling amazing! My husband is doing Whole 30 with me, which has been a great help (today is day 29!!).

I just bought Well Fed and it was really helpful in giving tips about how to put some easy dinners together.  Do you have a regular group in the forums? June 30 or July 1? That was really what helped me through these challenging weeks!  Feel free to friend me or send me a message if I can help in any way.

Praying for that little grandbaby of yours. And for you - 3 little ones are TOUGH!!!

CC! Thanks for taking the time to respond! I am sitting now with my wee boy so his mom could go home and do mom things with the other three for awhile! He is doing very well, thank you. My week has been so busy I did not get on the forums till last night to familiarize myself with the site, so I appreciate the heads up about the June 30 forum. I will check in there now! Many thanks for the prayers as well. Five more days will feel super long I have a feeling, Saturday is a loooong way away, and another daughter and her family arrive then to stay with us for a week. , The nest empties, the nest fills up again!,, In the book it starts with food, I took it to heart when it said no matter the stress stay with it.

Thanks again.

Archived