post w30 robot party

robotarmy

Starting up a post-Whole30 log, as I move toward #5 in August. It's a busy, busy month for me, but I'm hoping to check in regularly with how things are going, as well as look forward to the next one!

This is an exercise in discipline and accountability for me. It may not be very interesting for anyone to read, but it will be tremendously helpful to me.

Today's exercises in discipline and overcoming simple discomfort include: going to CrossFit for the first time in almost 6 months, continuing to develop my work project for next month, and working on my presentations for the upcoming weeks. Go!

2 things.

1. When I work out in the morning, I like to go a little heavier on calories/carbs at dinner. It means I don't have to worry about a big breakfast in the morning, and I can easily get through my workout. This is a personal tweak in my life that I've made, and it has been immensely helpful.

2. I'm going out of town on Saturday, so the goal this week is to eat as many leftovers adn perishables as possible, then freeze the rest.

Therefore. Dinner last night: trout, roasted fingerling potatoes, split pea soup.

Pre workout, I felt great. Not super hungry, but wanted to put something in my stomach just in case. Looking around the house: not too much...so...Larabar. Not ideal, but also easy on the ol' tummy before some weight lifting in a hot, humid gym.

Workout time. Warm-up: strict presses, push-ups, ball slams. Strength: heavy push-presses. Condition: fast ball slams, heavy bench press, and box jumps. I didn't do the box jumps today; my trainer wanted me to skip those after my absence and focus on the other two. Also, it turns out that in the last week we de-affiliated with CF, and will be focusing much more on pure lifting and strengthening, and less on the fast conditioning stuff. I like it. It's a much more autonomous atmosphere. I do worry that the trainer will not be with us forever (he's young and on the upward slope in his career), so I hope I won't be looking for a new gym soon.

Post workout: sardines, sliced cucumber, yellow mustard.

Lunch: green salad (lettuce, arugula, carrot, tomato), salmon, tahini dressing (oil, vinegar, tahini).

Dinner (here's where it gets weird): leftover shrimp taco, leftover broccoli & potatoes, leftover rice & beans, salmon cake. It sounds like a lot, yeah, but the leftovers were very small portions. It all added up to a regular-sized meal. There was cheese on the leftover taco, but I scraped mine off and gave it to the boyfriend. Cheese is not my friend. I love it, but it's not my friend.

Diet/exercise goal for July: go hard with lifts, eat consistently.

Just woke up, am having some iced tea. I have about an hour before I leave for the gym, so this is time to wake up, enjoy some journaling, have a small snack, and get ready at my own pace. That's the other nice thing about the new gym schedule: there are no classes, it's just open gym time. There's still a workout posted, but we all get to do it at our own paces.

So I'm watching some Doctor Who, considering what to have as a small pre-workout snack, and enjoying some time to myself.

Pre-workout snack: a few nuts and some dried fruit.

Workout: snatches and back squats. Ouch.

Post-workout: salmon cakes (salmon, egg, onion, bacon, S&P) 

My goal was to eat as close to w30 as possible before tackling #5 in August. But. Both the boyfriend and I are down to our last dollars, so I'm having to make biscuits to stretch meals. It's really, really not ideal. But we gotta eat, you know? The good news is, I found a little cash in my penny jar, so I can go get some meat, cabbage, and rice. That will be better than biscuits. My body doesn't react to rice so much, but with the wheat in the biscuits I'm bloated a bit.

Taking the morning off from the gym, as I can't move. Have a gym plan for the next two weeks when I'm out of town, so that's good.

Got a ton of work to do today, and may hit up yoga with a friend tonight. Happy Wednesday!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so it's been 10 days since I posted. I've been busy. A lot has happened. A lot of good.

I'm travelling for work right now, and am enjoying the change of pace. Doing laundry, just had a good breakfast, and about to shower and prepare for some work this afternoon. Gearing up for the August Whole30, and excited to be really getting back to where I want to be. I was just doing some offline journaling (what's that, lol) and reflecting on the last couple of years. There has been a lot of turmoil emotionally, and it's taken some huge changes in my life to get myself in control of that aspect of mental health, because the anxiety and depression were killing me.

I got myself physically healthy in 2012-2013, but physical health is nothing without mental health. So, while managing my mental health, I've gained back like 40 pounds. I was initially really upset at myself. Look at all the hard work that had gone to waste! Look at how I didn't fit into my clothes anymore! Look how I couldn't complete a half marathon! Look at how I couldn't do this or that! And I was beating myself up like this, while I was trying to help my mental and emotional health. Good plan, right? So I've had this realization that I'm so much more in charge of my mental health than I've ever been, and that's killer. Yeah, putting on some weight isn't the best thing, but I've made such strides and had such victories in the mental battles, that I don't even care. It's time to start getting that weight back off, and be happy and at peace with myself right now, in these moments. Because the second I start beating myself up about things that have already happened, I stop working toward future change.

Of yeah and so sr robotarmy and I got engaged, that's also a thing that happened :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Moderators

Great insights about mental/physical health and beating yourself up. Also, congrats on getting engaged!! Big life changes require extra vigilance with self care. Good for you for being all over that!

Great insights about mental/physical health and beating yourself up. Also, congrats on getting engaged!! Big life changes require extra vigilance with self care. Good for you for being all over that!

Thank you so much! And you are absolutely right: extra vigilance is extremely important. I didn't even think of that, but now that you mention it, I can see how that's necessary. In moments of stress, it's easy enough to say "forget it" and just seek the comfort of instant indulgence, food or otherwise. In the upcoming months, I hope I can remember your words of advice when the going gets tough!

• 2 weeks later...

Home from my work trip, and enjoying a few days vacation before I head back to the office. I'm terrifically excited for the August Whole30, and I can't wait to start that!

sr robotarmy and I are officially planning our wedding now, and that's so exciting! We have a lot to manage, but we have over a year to do it.

Trying to plan a nice relaxing evening. sr robotarmy and I are both in a little bit of sleep debt, so it's going to be an early night. Trying to figure out something good to go along with smashed potatoes and summer squash. Thinking pork, but I dunno. Trying to be economical. Food is something I love. I grew up eating well; even in the leanest of times, we had something that tasted good. So I'd like to really make that my goal for this August. Simple, economical.

Anyway, I'm off do do chores and run errands. I assume nobody's reading this, but if you are, have a great day! :)

Archived