What can I put on my burger?

Today is my first day on Whole30 and I brought some burgers with me for lunch that we grilled over the weekend. I normally would eat these with Ketchup..Is there anything that I buy from Kwik Trip(gas station) I know they will be dry other wise. 

Thanks for any help...

I'm going to the grocery store after work to stock up on more whole foods as I just decided this weekend to start. :)

Here are two ketchup recipes

Simple Ketchup              yield: 1.5 c
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Refrigerate overnight to let flavors develop.

Rich, Deep-flavored Ketchup          yield: 2 c
1 lb fresh plum tomatoes + 1 lb canned plum tomatoes or 2 lb fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 fennel bulb, chopped
1 celery stick, cut in cubes
Chopped fresh piece of ginger, thumsized
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 red chili, seeded and chopped finely
Large bunch fresh basil, pick leaves and chop stalks
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
3/4 c + 2 tbl red wine, balsamic or apple cider vinegar
Sea salt to taste

Place onion, fennel and celery in a large pan with some olive oil, ginger, garlic, chopped chili, basil stalks, coriander seeds and garlic cloves and season with salt and the 1 tsp black pepper.
Over a low heat, cook for about 12 min, until veg soften, stir occasionally.
Add 1 1/2 c water and the tomatoes. Let simmer gently until the liquid is reduced by half.
Add basil leaves, pour in blender or food processor and process until very smooth.
Strain sauce through a sieve into a new or cleaned pan and add vinegar.
Simmer again until it reaches the desired ketchup consistency. Adjust seasoning.
Cool in fridge and enjoy. This ketchup recipe can be bottled in sterilized jars and kept for up to 6 months in a cool dark place.

Source:

paleoleap.com/homemade-paleo-condiments/

• Moderators

Probably too late for today, but you can usually find compliant mustard. French's yellow (just the plain stuff) is compliant, and I think Heinz yellow mustard is too (always read the labels in case they've changed their recipes), and some stone ground types are, just read the ingredients. Avoid any with wine, which dijon usually has. At a Kwik Trip, they probably have packets of mustard with their hot dogs -- it would be worth checking if you're in that situation again.  

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Homemade mayo! It's great. And I NEVER ate mayo before Whole30.

Mustard - read labels. Lots of compliant ones can be found.

Compliant Prosciutto is tasty on a burger. I crisp mine up in a pan a little first sometimes.

Even better than what you can put on it, what you can put it ON!

Grilled portabello mushrooms or grilled red bell pepper halves are great. A sturdy lettuce leaves also make a crisp, juicy "bun" with way better flavor and texture than some old stale soft bread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roasted tomatoes, purple onions, yellow and orange peppers, garlic, mushrooms diced small & tossed with olive oil, spread on a baking sheet evenly and topped with a salt free seasoning of your choice before baking.  Lay down on top of a bed of sauteed spinach with a side of spaghetti squash.  Top with homemade guacamole and salsa.  Sprinkle with diced green onion.  Eat. Enjoy. Repeat often.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hi Falquaid, there are quite a few mayo recipes online.  One of the favourites is from Clothes Make the Girl and of course in the It Starts With Food book. 

You'll find a lot of resources by googling "Whole30 + mayo" or whatever your item in question is. Chances are it's been asked, answered and discussed previously so you get all the benefit of the info without having to wait for people to respond!  :)

Archived