Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

Quick update here. I'm at the airport getting ready to head to Idaho for a weekend of compliant punk rockery. I feel so much better after having a full day to grieve and settle in to a different sort of farm camaraderie and know the does are fine and not freaking out anymore. Thanks for all your support. I knew even in the midst of my panic and grief that I was being irrational but that's a hard demon to squash once it gets going.

I too have been thinking of incorporating fitness in a much bigger way in my next W30. I've been walking almost daily and hiking a lot. I really need to do Deb's daily yoga challenge because I am Tight!!! And yes, introverted exerciser here, too.

Dave, 100 push-ups! I am so relieved your shoulder is OK. Rotator cuff surgery is brutal so I'm glad you dodged that bullet.

Rose, so sorry to hear about your brother's friend. What a tough thing - it makes sense that he's tormented. I've known too many people that have succumbed to drugs or alcohol but they are still loved and had lives and deserve to be honored and get a respectful send-off, as you say. I'll be thinking about you and your family.

CC, you go! You're our resident jock. Dang girl, that is an impressive goal. I'm still trying to run 3 miles.

Meadow, I have a bowflex and a stationary bike and I've used each of them probably fewer than 10 times. You hit the nail on the head again. As for sweet potatoes: interesting points you raise. I've been eating th somewhat regularly, but usually roasted or baked, never fried. About a half cup is the right amount for me. I also found that a quarter avocado isn't enough so I eat a half to tide me over until the next meal. So interesting figuring out portions and what keeps me satiated. I don't miss white potatoes at all so won't reintro them anyway.

Boarding momentarily, so I'll sign off. Happy day to all!

Cara - a half shirt is a shirt that shows your midsection. Don't worry about the 100 push ups......I'm doing them one handed...hahahahaha!

Since I work with many aeronautical engineers and most are introverts....here's my introvert joke: how can you tell that an aero engineer is an extravert? He's the one staring at YOUR shoes!

Had class tonight and Hello....Final Exam! Done....blasted out of the park....chock up another Grad class under my belt....only a few more and I will be out of the 3rd grade!

Deb - the aircraft is the T-45 Goshawk which is a dual seat advanced jet trainer designed for carrier arrestments. It is made by British Aerospace and Boeing. It's a very successful aircraft that has been flying for almost 20 years.

Rick and CC - wow! Good for you both....that is an awesome undertaking and I am sure you both will do wonderful. Good luck and keep us posted.

Higs - enjoy your trip. Any Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics in your past?

Anybody else having Miki withdrawals?

Sweet dreams Dirty 30 club!

Dave

Deb - the aircraft is the T-45 Goshawk which is a dual seat advanced jet trainer designed for carrier arrestments. It is made by British Aerospace and Boeing. It's a very successful aircraft that has been flying for almost 20 years.

Anybody else having Miki withdrawals?

Dave do you get to fly those planes? 

And yes - Me!

Congrats on your class!

Hi Gang,

Boss is in town for a couple of weeks, so you know what that means!...very little time. So much to write and just don't have time to do it right.

Rosann, thank you for coming back and spending time with us, we're so grateful. Happy Birthday girlfriend.

Meadow, your picture is gorgeous...I think I eat too many friend sweet pots..good advice.

Deb, you sound amazing as usual.

Wyinap...missing you

Dave, loved the plane, glad you're getting back up to speed!

Higs...HAVE AN AMAZING WEEKEND, you so deserve it.

miki

CC&R, YOU TWO are off the charts. I really need to get back on the exercise bandwagon and quick. I'm probably at 87 percent with my hip which is a lot to be grateful for!

Hey CARA...it seems like just yesterday someone got CHASTISED for eating a white potato. It sounds like you have a good routine for you.

Meadow what does your daily food intake look like?

CC...those flip flops are SO CUTE.

Miki

Oh Deb, That swim suit is too cool. Shall we chip in for one and send it to Dave for vacation?

I'm committed to find a rhythm in this program that allows my body to catch up with my mind and heart.

Night kids.

m

Dear friends,

Rosann! Welcome back Cotter. Don't you go disappearing again, we missed you kid.

Meadow? I know what the grocery store lady's problem is now that I have seen your photo. You are very beautiful and she hates you for it. 

David, this is my stern voice: Ease up on that shoulder, you crazy cat. 

Interesting thoughts about sweet potatoes and white potatoes. I do eat both, but not very often. I didn't eat any white potatoes on the w30, but I have had them a couple of times since because I cooked them for everyone else. They're quite nutrient dense and I'm not watching my weight now. I lost enough with the eating plan and the daily exercise, my current project is in accepting the way I am at 37 with 3 kids instead of casting back to a former life (who doesn't look crazy hot when they are 24? ridiculous). I quit smoking five years ago, and was quite the nicotine overachiever too Dave. Don't miss it for a moment, not ever. I do sometimes have dreams where I am still a secret smoker and I wake up feeling guilty. I still have dreams about late college papers too though, and I graduated 7 years ago. The mind is a very screwy place.

Higsy-belle, I'm delighted that you are going to that punkrock reunion. I was once a mohawk-sporting pogoing frenzy too. In the mid-nineties when it was a bit of a sad thing to be because lets face it, punk was kinda over by then. I also had plenty of flannel shirts and Sonic Youth albums though, so I kept a foot in my own times too.

CC, love those flipflops, I need me a pair of those, and good for you on the triathlon, Rick too. I buggered my knee (ACL tear) and my hip (children) and can't really run anymore, which is sad for me because it was always my release. I used to solve all of my problems on runs.

Deb, I get you on the exercise front, but I come from a different angle, I'm too competitive for gyms. Total strangers will be doing their  own things near me and I am mentally racing them to beat their time. This is not good gym etiquette but I do recommend it as an excellent way to injure yourself. I also get very internally judgy about women who are clearly not pushing too hard because they don't want to get their outfit sweaty and smear their carefully applied makeup. What gives with makeup at the gym? Yeesh.

Today is looking like a long, difficult day. I am doing gluten reintro today because I want to know how it affects me, but I pretty much know its not something I want in my body, so I suspect I will react psychosomatically anyway. The funeral is later on this morning, and I'll be going it alone because my brother has decided to give it a miss. He does live on the other side of the country and I think he thought he'd have more time to gather himself before the ceremony, but these things are dealt with quickly here, usually within 2-3 days. Its going to be a very sad day, Christian was only 39. 

Going to get my workout in and shower so that I don't gross anyone out in the church (Oh yeah, I've been doing daily interval training since I announced my intention to you guys. I'm on day 23 and have only missed sundays-can't really do it with everybody in the house, ducking their heads into the living room to ask me what I'm doing and "Is that hard? It looks hard." Too annoying).

Hope you all have a lovely Friday and I look forward to checking in with you all tomorrow.

Love,

Rose 

Rose - I agree with you about the make-up at gyms and have decided to stop wearing it. It's time for a change and I don't think I was catching anyone's attention with the yoga pants either. Shoulder is doing very well and I am being careful not to move it into the upward range where it will get aggravated...thanks for the concern Nurse Ratchet! Sorry about your family friend, hope the funeral brings some closure and relief.

Miki - thanks for finding time for us today!

Deb - no, I'm not a pilot.....hope I didn't crush any sick fantasy you had going on hahaha! I have flown in them but I was a Jet Engine mechanic and not a pilot. I plan on starting my pilot's license once I finish my Masters (next spring). Sadly I'm just a suit and tie nerd Program Manager now............but my wife prefers me in suits more than dirty coveralls that stink of jet fuel.

Lots of interesting potato discussions.....all it does is remind me of the joke about the two guys on the beach. One guy says, "I am depressed because I can never find a girl and you always have dates....what gives?" His partner says, "The trick is to put a potato in your bathing suit to impress the girls." A few weeks go by and they run into each other again and the first guy looks more depressed than before. The second guy says, "what's wrong?" His friend says, "I tried your trick and I still can't get a girl!" His buddy says, "well here's the problem.....you are supposed to put the potato in the front!"

Heading to the island....................peace out!

Dave

Good Morning My Dirty 30's,

Rose, Interval training - I may need to come out there...where is there again?...and go to Rose boot camp.  Heck no...leave the kids with the hubby and come out and you, Deb and I will do interval training on the beach, fun - huh?

Dave - have too much fun on the island and give it a kiss for me. I'm totally ready to start having some water fun. I would love to go snorkeling and swimming with dolphins and spear fishing (okay, maybe not spear fishing - but I'll hang out on the beach and eat the fish after you clean it and cook it with ghee, lemon and capers!)

Deb...how's it going "working" at home. You deserve the time kiddo, the way they work you. I think I've convinced my boss to go to Farmstand next week, I can't wait. We went to the Tin Roof for lunch yesterday. I had a ceasar salad with shrimp and a bite (or two or... of the brussels sprouts which include butter and then a bite or two of the bosses tomato soup and I also mindlessly ate a couple of croutons. Today I have sinus issues, and I'm itchy and my eyes are runny...

I think I am slowly (picture me being dragged kicking and screaming) that in order to feel better I have to be whole 30 compliant and if I want to feel amazing, I have to eat autoimmune w30 or at least paleo, which I have never tried. I started reading "it starts with food" again last night and was reminded about why the seed oils are bad for our "gut" and how the "gut and the mind" work together (for or against us). Oh yeah, and I had nuts yesterday (can you say NOT doing reintro properly?). I was sitting in a meeting eating my fruit and then next thing I know (after a heated debate, SOMEONE had put nuts on my plate and was shoving them in my mouth like it was my last day on earth).

One of my adopta-daughters comes to clean my house today (oh gawd I love that). She has been "around the family" for many years. She comes from addicted parents and is putting herself through college and really fighting the urge to use drugs and alcohol as a crutch. So, she makes money and I come home on friday to a clean house, life is good.

I have lunch out again today, picnic tomorrow, date with a new guy on Sunday (I'm such a big, brave girl) and then another week with the boss. Luckily I adore the woman, probably one of my best friends so although it is busy and stressful, it's also rewarding, fun and inspiring (maybe I am gay...)

Deb, have you read a book called "The Untethered Soul"? I'm really enjoying it. I want to order those two other books you were talking about.

I am playing with the idea of starting another whole 30 on August 11. I am going on vacation (hopefully)  on September 9th or so, so that would free me up to relax on vacation. I honestly think I would have to not eat at restaurants that whole month. I guess I just resent paying $20 for steamed fish and plain broccoli. I need to start looking for timeshares and decide what I want to do with a whole week to myself. Part of me wants to try for something like Cabo, part of me wants to try for a walk city like Portland or Seattle. Part of me wants to Kayak, snorkel and...hmmm, well maybe we'll save that for later.

Very late, gotta go. Going to work early this am so I can "make hay before the sunshines".

Rick and CC ....thinking of you training.

Cara - hope you're doing well.

Morning Meadow, would love to know what your daily diet looks like...and anyone else that hasn't shared yet.

Having Brussels Sprouts with eggs for breakfast...too yummy a combo. Lunch is a restaurant, sigh.

Rose, what's on your cooking show for the day. Have you figured out how to make "Dirty 30 Macs"? What is in a mac....egg whites, coconut, sugar.....I wonder if we could put date puree? I guess that would make them brown - hmmm. I want to dabble a little in Paleo desserts (go figure) before I get strict again. I got the cook book...I just need to find/make the time.

Okay...no more.

Good morning to all I missed. I'll try to be better today, but lots of meetings.

MIKI

We have to drive to Miami this morning.  Steve is getting his final bone marrow biopsy before his transplant.  Doctor wants to check the progression of his disease.  We probably won't find out the results until next Thursday when he has an appointment with the transplant team.

Rosann - Welcome back.  You belong with us. Not sure why you left but I hope you are here to stay!  Hope you have a very happy birthday.

Rose - I am so sorry about the loss of your brother's friend.

Meadow - beautiful picture!

Dave - you are just too funny.  I need some humor in my days and you always give me a good supply.

Deb and Miki - I wish I could hang out with the 2 of you.  Well, I wish I could hang out with everyone on here. 

I will be back later this afternoon to post more. 

Oh my gosh Meadow...no wonder you're doing so well, what an amazing meal plan. I'm going to try the cabbage, that sounds OFF THE CHARTS yummy.

Laurie, there you are. We'll send positive vibes for all your tests. Keep taking care of yourself! It would be fun to have you here in SoCal...remind me where you are?

Feeling thin & energetic today, inspite of my sinus, etc.

M

Deb - no, I'm not a pilot.....hope I didn't crush any sick fantasy you had going on hahaha! 

Dave this made me cackle out loud and startle the cat. But a grease smeared mechanic is just as hot! LOL

Have so much fun on the island!!!

Rose, laughing at the makeup at the gym thing, on my forays into gym going ($1000s down the drain over the years) I would think "how do people look this good when they are here?" I'd be red faced, hair askew, etc. And then some couples say they met at the gym! That astonishes me. I'm imagining you sneaking glances at the person next to you and ramping up faster and faster to beat them. Sounds like me in my car. Awesome work on the interval training, wow.  I hope the funeral goes well and Christian gets a good send off. 

Miks I too would like  to do some more water frolicking. When I was at the beach the other day I was looking jealously at the dudes in their board shorts and surf shirts in the water vs women in bikinis and I was like well if I was wearing that instead of having to be basically naked in front of 1000 strangers, baring my deepest insecurities, I'd be swimming too. That got me thinking and so I went online and ordered women's board shorts and a surf top. I won't have the board, but I'll be swimming without pain LOL. People will just think my board is waiting on the beach for me :D Heck, maybe I'll get a boogie board and go all out!!!  I am soooooo enjoying being at home although there is a twinge of - what am I missing - bcs there are people who aren't working from home. All in all, I guess I'd rather have the home time so I am trying to let go of needing to know everything that's happening (politically speaking). I'm indulging in having my cleaning folks come in and give the place a work over today, much needed. I love to cook, I hate to clean. Sorry Dave.

Miki we almost ordered from Tin Roof - it looks good. Also Paul Martin Grill had a steak that I was eyeing up but I got the smackdown that it was too pricey for a crew meal!!

I saw you were reading Untethered Soul and I have heard of it and would like to read it.

I started reading the book CC recommended about "Ed" - CC I am so enjoying it - I have been told to relate to illness /diagnosis in the exact same way (speak directly to it) so I am very curious to get deeper into it. 

MIKI A DATE FOR YOU ON SUNDAY. Very impressed with that. You go. Are you online? Or someone from the real world?!

ALSO in that new blog that I am now obsessed with, she said that it wasn't til 5-6 months of really pure AIP that she and her husband started to really see results. I have now read her entire 6 months worth of posts and it is very interesting - she's a researcher by nature, doing AIP bcs her husband is very sick but she is totally healthy - anyways she feels that she has now achieved peak health through it and is in a state of emotional and physical amazingness most of the time. Fascinating to me. 

http://petra8paleo.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/biohacking-for-career-leverage/

Laurie - thinking of you and Steve today. 

Meadow, Sophie is also super cute. That cabbage does sound SUPER yummy. It doesn't look like you're eating much fat? I have been a bit tortured by how much fat we're encouraged to eat. Thoughts?

When I first moved to the US I also thought the restroom was funny. We don't do that in New Zealand either (or didn't when I was growing up). My Kiwi friends and I also thought it was hilarious that it was referred to as the restroom, the bathroom, or even things like, the sandbox!!! We refer to it as the toilet. Oh you crazy euphemistic Americans. 

Allright have to sign off for now. Higs, hope you're having fun, pink mohawk and all!

Archived