Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadow so interesting on all. Raw sweet potatoes, have never had but that salad looks delicious.  I bet they taste a bit like jicama. 

Back in my "Atkins" diet days I wouldn't have touched a sweet potato. 

Everyone's grilling stories are mouth watering. I live in an apartment but I'm on the ground floor and I have a back porchy kind of area so I want to get a little table top grill. My neighbor has a behemoth that he has offered to let me use but I'm reluctant (and that would mean the introvert would have to interact more with the neighbors!). I was looking around and there are some cute little things for around $100 bux. I would go charcoal and have had one before and loved it but that's not quite as convenient. 

Meadow wild west and state fairs I'm imagining you in Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona ...North Dakota? 

I think I'm going to have to start posting twice a day - there's so much to comment on here!

Meadow - how could you hold out on the sweet potato info for so long!  Rick and I finished our very last one today!  I also love that you are not experiencing cravings. Isn't it so nice to have this kind of peace?

Deb - I enjoyed the blogs you posted yesterday, and look forward to the one you posted today. It was pretty enlightening for me. I'm the extrovert (I know you are SHOCKED).  

This is my one comment for the exercise introverts: For a long time I was eating no sugar/no flour as part of my OA program. I was so self conscious about it or how to talk about. I worried constantly about what other people were thinking about me and how crazy I was (am). I finally discovered that no one really cares what I'm eating. Most people are so self absorbed, they are only thinking about what THEY are eating. I believe this is also true at the gym, although it may not feel that way. (And, to be fair, I've never exercised in LA.)  So find something you like to do and do it - and ignore the haters!

Higs - I can't wait to hear about the reunion. I loved your 1983 pic on Facebook!!

Cara - it's so hard to find time to exercise when the kids are little.  That's how I got started doing P90X.  We recently got the 30 minute version, and I can often do it before the kids are even up. So, something a little more extreme for a shorter time might be an option.

Dave - congrats on finishing your class! I have spent most of my adult life in grad school (I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge). What a great accomplishment! I also loved your pictures!

Miki - how are you holding up with the boss in town?  I'm so looking forward to hearing how the date goes! I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed blind dates. I looked at it as an opportunity to learn something new about another person.

Today was what my son would call "meh."  No excitement, which I should be grateful for. We went out to dinner, and the choices were very limited. It was ok, but eating out right now is just not that fulfilling because I feel so limited in my choices, condiments, etc.

I know, CRY ME A RIVER!! LOL

We were going to start swim training today. Originally we were going to start at the lake, and then I read Rick's post about not being an experienced swimmer. I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't go back to sleep because I was worried about it, and convinced him to start at the pool at the YMCA after work. We got there and we forgot his bathing suit. It seemed like nothing was going quite right. Not the end of the world, but not optimal.

Tomorrow we pick up the little kiddos and drive 8 hours to my mom's in PA. My 14 year old is there, and I've really been missing him. It will be a tough week - two days of 8 hour car rides, and eating at mom's house for four days. In the past I would arrive to tables of baked goods, but my mom seems to be really on track with our food plan, and in fact called me today to ask what she should buy for us.

I've rambled on for too long, but wanted everyone to know I'm reading along! HAPPY FRIDAY!!

Meadow, thanks for providing us with all the info on cooked vs raw Sweet Pots, etc.

CC - I too love blind dates. I've only had one that I regretted. The rest have been between fine and amazing...Sunday remains to be seen. Tomorrow is beach party. Both of my kids are going and one girlfriend so it will be so much fun. There will be about 75 of us. We see most of the kids and grandkids once a year so it is SO fun to get reacquainted, play games  and enjoy the beach.

Dave, As usual, you and your lovely Kelly are a beautiful couple, even more so because we know how you take care of each other.

My food is getting sloppy. I have to find a way to deal with "peer pressure"...there I said it.

Does anyone know how long the homemade may lasts in the refrig?

Hey Deb, I don't know why, but I am surprised you are an introvert. I would call my self a shy extrovert. I believe (although my counselor would argue with me) that with every pound I lose, I will gain confidence, she (counselor says if I become confident I lose pounds - Potato Pototo).

Nighty Nite,

Mix

Good Morning,

I've tried to attach my furry family members, Cho Dang , black, weighing in about 18 pounds and I'm afraid cho dang is weighing in in the 25 pound range...people now ask What is That, when they walk in the house. The boys came from what we in CA would call Rural Farm Land, (Paso Robles) and they are pretty rough and tumble. I'm slowly trying to put them on the W30. Cho loves tuna, chicken and olives...he's also a bit of a carb loader. In his younger days he would jump on the top of the refrig, eat throu the TWO layers of plastic and down a half a loaf of bread.

I know this is bad, but one day I was eating breakfast in bed and I had a piece of toast in my mouth to take a bite and he walked up to the other side of the toast and took a huge bite...he's part human, part dog and a loe companion.

Getting ready for my picnic. I'm not browbeating myself, I decided. No alcohol for me (but that's not work for me)  I don't want to eat the pizza or sandwiches. I know we'll have a fruit platter and veggies so that is exciting and easy and I can dip them in the guac. I decided I need to say no to chips unless I make them. So if I decided I want root chips, I'll slice them thin, brush oil on them, bake them in a hot oven and eat them with a protein for proper hormonal balance.

I've dropped a couple of pounds the last week which feels better. I'm not obsessing so much about food. I need to find a way to move into my next whole 30 where my stomach is shrunk where I can eat 3 meals a day without overeating in fear I might have a hunger pang (OH NO) before the next meal. I think the snacking addiction is one worth working on for me!

Miki, have fun at your picnic! Have a sausage along with your fruits, veggies and gaucamole.

I am having a fantastic time seeing old old friends, some of whom I haven't seen in almost 30 years. We had quite the jovial fun loving, pogo dancing, creative spirited group of misfits back then. I was at a picnic yesterday and felt so good, confident, outgoing. That would not have been the case a month ago, my friends! I would have been drinking beer to ease my nervousness and would have felt totally socially awkward. Not so now. I was happy to have water in my hand, ate some fantastic salads and had brought myself a compliant sausage. There must have been 50 or 60 people there and I got to reconnect with most of them. And -- all that socializing is exhausting! After the picnic a bunch of my crew went out to the bars, but a dear old friend and I decided to go to a coffee shop, drink kombucha and catch up in a calmer setting. It was the right call because I popped awake today ready to hike before it gets hot, and I'll have time for a hike before band practice (!) for my impromptu stage appearance at the concert tonight with the Techno Peasants!

I'm barely keeping up with your posts but hope to have more time to respond to you all later this weekend.

Much love to all!

I've never made kombucha but I like the GT brand. I had a different brand last night that was pear ginger flavored but it had cane sugar in it. My first sugar since June 8! I didn't sleep well last night but it was probably because I was excited and overstimulated from seeing the old gang. Or, I could blame the sugar. I didn't need it and haven't missed it.

Miki Mik enjoy your picnic!!!! It sounds wonderful! 

Those cats! I would be all over them! Post pics! 

I had a 20 lb foster last year, his name was Mojo, he was so sweet. I love big fat cats. I know obesity is just as dangerous for them though. 

Did you say you had read "My Life with Ed" ? I think you'd find it very interesting. CC thank you so much for that recommendation. 

Still so impressed that you have the mental fortitude to date. Unlike you and CC I would say I have been on about 100 blind dates, pre and post marriage, maybe more, and no longer have that energy for that process. I have so many stories. The Scientologist, the guy with the brain injury, the guy who said he felt he was really a woman inside, the guy who talked about his ex wife all night, the guys who are surely gay but don't know it, the guy who randomly lived in my building, awkward, angry guy, weirdo guy, am I jaded, yes I am lol. SO I am sending hope and love your way!!! 

Yes, I am a very shy person who has learned not to be. Only child who wanted to hide in her locker and read books rather than play with the other kids. I still love being in the shelter of my house. That said, I also love to travel and meet new people. So, gosh. I guess I am a woman of many paradoxes! 

Higs I am just love love loving your post. Yes! Video!! So so happy you are having such a good time and feeling so good in your skin!!!

Dave, gorgeous pics! 

Meadow, like Higs I have sometimes struggled with the sugar in the kombucha. It makes me very cranky :-( 

The brand I found was super pure, its called Kombucha Dog. Might just be a CA brand.

But I do know peeps who make it at home very successfully. 

I tried to make my own coconut cheese and had mold issues as well. 

I finally found some coconut kefir at the health food store but it cost me a sack of gold bullion. Still it was nice to have something yoghurt-y. 

LOL Bob Ross

Back to work today but watching kids bake is pretty crazy fun. Talk about extroverts! Imagine baking on tv when you were 10 years old?! 

Here's a pic of big Mojo, my ex foster cat. He got adopted. Le Grand Orange beat out all the other fosters to be adopted by me. 

Meadow. Loving the energy and the Hawaii vibe! Can you take a trip? 

I have another wise cat pic. When I was in Costa Rica last year I went to see a shamanic healer. The pic is her cat "shaman cat". 

He SO looks like a wise fellow. 

Meadow - I love your Bob Ross quotes!

Miki - how was the picnic? I'm glad you're looking forward to your date. I hope you have a terrific time!

Higs - VIDEO!! I'm stalking your FB page for updates.  I love the pics you shared there! You look so happy and comfortable!

Deb - so glad you're enjoying the book. I liked that it was broken down into short easy to read chapters.

We made it to mom's house in 8 hours as planned. I packed lots of snacks, most of which went uneaten. I'm having some frustration with eating food outside the house. If it's a really nice restaurant, they'll make exceptions. But when you're on the road there are few choices, and by the time you take off all the yummy stuff it's just... meh.  I think in the future I'll pack whole meals, not just snacks. When did I get so PERSNICKETY?

When we arrived, my mom was having a pool party for the church youth group. All of a sudden we're surrounded by pizza, various chips and cookies galore. I made a salad with chicken for Rick and I, which was fine. But then it's over and IT'S ALL LYING AROUND!! That's a dangerous time for me - post party. While I didn't even want to touch it, I put everything away. I'm amazed at how many times I went to reach in a bowl, just out of habit. I'm not hungry or craving or missing these foods. It's just what I've always done. That also applies to the BLTs (bites, licks and tastes). I have to be very conscious of it all the time.

Miki and Deb - I'm trying to get Rick to schedule his 4th quarter coaching meeting in LA. If it works I'll let you know and maybe we could hang out one day?

Dave - Rick and I drive through MD every month, so we'd love to see you and Kelly for dinner sometime!

Cara and Rose - I'm REALLY looking for an excuse to come visit you!!

Let's all get together for a luau with Meadow :)

Sweet dreams!

Archived