Angela's Journey (starting 7-8-14)

AngelaC

Very excited to be starting my own journey tomorrow. My weekend was so jam packed that I was just unable to start today as I didn't have prep time. Off to trader joes tonight to do some shopping!

A little about me..

Ive struggled with my weight for most of my life (I am now 32). Last year, I started a journey with HCG injections (287lbs). I lost 55lbs (232lbs) in 100 days and learned a lot about my body. I felt great and looked great. Some emotional struggles came about in the new year and I have been unable to focus. The loss of my now husbands mother unexpectedly and the planning of my own wedding put a tremendous amount of stress on me. Since January, I packed on about 20lbs back on my body. My body holds onto water and inflammation worse than the average person, so it may really not be 20lbs of fat! Im around 252-55 right now. Either way, I need to get things under control before all my hard work goes to waste. Now that my wedding came and went ( I am a newlywed now..only about 2 weeks into my marriage) I am ready. I will be weighing myself everyday as I will be doing some food exclusions and I need to see how my body reacts to certain foods. I have foods that will give me a 10lbs jump on the scale for eating it! I am trying to figure out which foods I am sensitive too.

I have been tossing around the idea of going Paleo for a while and was excited when I came across whole 30. I immediately purchased the book and I am still currently reading it. The "Program" is pretty similar to phase 3 in the HCG diet which I am familiar with. i used the HCG diet to give me a jump start and now would like to focus more on a lifestyle that can be a little more easier to do with my lifestyle.

My goals are to learn to love natural foods and rid processed crap for good. Losing weight will be nice, but really I just want to be healthy and change my eating habits.

Im not starting this at the most ideal time as I have trips scheduled for the next three weekends, but I did not want to keep pushing things off. I guess my first go around may be a little bit rouge jsut to start to get into the groove of clean eating. After my trips, I plan to be super strict up until we go on our honeymoon at the end of August. Obviously, my main goal is to make positive decisions during my weekend trips...if I can do that, I feel there will be no need to "re-start". This for me is more focused on the entire lifestyle change rather then the whole detox element of it. The month of August will be focused on the detox part and a strict 30 days.

I plan to be very active in this journal and would love some encouragement and company along my journey. Maybe even some recipe swaps. Looking forward to clean eating as I know I will feel amazing!

Welcome to the Whole30! I think this program will benefit you a lot but you need to decide if you are in or out. Here comes some tough love. The scale is not negotiable if you want to actually do a Whole30. If you want to experiment with this type of eating while still weighing daily by all means do that, but it won't be a Whole30. The no weighing rule is not arbitrary at all. It was the rule I struggled with the most and the reason I took my time transitioning to paleo before committing to my own first Whole30. I promise that giving up the scale will give you a tremendous amount of freedom. Freedom to focus on truly nourishing your body and focusing on how you feel not on a number that can be based on hundreds of factors. Honestly as you are coming from the HCG diet you will probably gain some weight initially doing Whole30. HCG diets severely undernourish the body. I briefly read about Phase 3 and really it isn't at all like Whole30. Whole30 is not meant to be low carb or low calorie. We want you to eat until you are full and eat for energy and vibrant life. The meal template will help you get the best results from this program. 

I'm not saying any of this to be mean or judgmental. This might not be the correct time to start Whole30 for you. If it isn't focus on making the changes you can so when you are ready you will have a smooth start out of the gate. Every step towards your greater health is a good one! 

I'll be following along and happy to offer any help and advice I can.

Welcome to the Whole30! I think this program will benefit you a lot but you need to decide if you are in or out. Here comes some tough love. The scale is not negotiable if you want to actually do a Whole30. If you want to experiment with this type of eating while still weighing daily by all means do that, but it won't be a Whole30. The no weighing rule is not arbitrary at all. It was the rule I struggled with the most and the reason I took my time transitioning to paleo before committing to my own first Whole30. I promise that giving up the scale will give you a tremendous amount of freedom. Freedom to focus on truly nourishing your body and focusing on how you feel not on a number that can be based on hundreds of factors. Honestly as you are coming from the HCG diet you will probably gain some weight initially doing Whole30. HCG diets severely undernourish the body. I briefly read about Phase 3 and really it isn't at all like Whole30. Whole30 is not meant to be low carb or low calorie. We want you to eat until you are full and eat for energy and vibrant life. The meal template will help you get the best results from this program. 

I'm not saying any of this to be mean or judgmental. This might not be the correct time to start Whole30 for you. If it isn't focus on making the changes you can so when you are ready you will have a smooth start out of the gate. Every step towards your greater health is a good one! 

I'll be following along and happy to offer any help and advice I can.

I get it..it wont be a true Whole30 when i start but as you said, I would like to experiment a bit while transitioning into a Whole30 at the start of August. I know that now is not the best time for me, but I just didnt want to make excuses anymore and wanted to just start something. I figure eating clean 5-6 days a week is better than pushing it off another few weeks. The reason I had compared it to Phase 3 on the HCG diet is because you DONT count calories, but yes, you are eating good healthy fats, meats and vegetables. HCG does allow dairy, but you are slowly supposed to reintroduce this stuff back in. Either way, I am done with the super restrictive diets. I got my jumpstart and am ready to change the way and just feel better both physically and even emotionally when It comes to food.

I guess my goal over the next few weeks is to slowly work my way into the Whole30 by starting to eat better and cut out certain things. This way, it may not be as such a shock and the journey may go a little smoother. i dont plan on weighing when I truly start at the beginiing of August, but will be watching things for right now to see how certain foods affect me. Believe me, I cant wait to give up the scale for good. it was very tough on HCG as you had to weight religiously every single day...it was emotionally draining!

Sounds like you are in a good place! Freedom from the scale and calorie counting are two of the greatest gifts Whole30 has given me personally and I hope you find that same freedom as you move forward! Best of luck!

Angela, welcome. I am on day 20 of whole 30, and changed my way of eating while on a recent trip in May, while staying with my daughter, who had finished her whole30 a few weeks before my visit and eats paleo now. I had no choice, really, because her house was free of anything that is banned, so yes, I think you can call this your transition into whole30, where it's better to make immediate good food choices than defer those.

When I came home, I started to read labels when I went shopping, and no longer purchased what was banned. I went thru my pantry, removing pasta, legumes, and any spices that had either no ingredient labels, or msg, or sugar, etc. yet I did not jump right away on the whole30 horse. I wanted to be over my jetlag by the time I started this journey, and wanted to be out of cheese. On June 18, for supper, I had my last bite of cheese, and on June 19th, I started to call my encounters with food meal 1, 2, and 3.

I love the fact that I can dedicate myself to this program with heart and soul, with no travel, no interference, and I admire people who are dealing with so many things at once, birthdays, parties, school reunions, work, weddings, while strictly adhering to whole30 rules and philosophy.

Last but not least... You can live without the scale! Yes, and this comes from somebody who stepped on it every day. I know the program works, have seen it with my children first hand, so I know as long as I eat what the template says, I don't need the scale...

Angela, welcome. I am on day 20 of whole 30, and changed my way of eating while on a recent trip in May, while staying with my daughter, who had finished her whole30 a few weeks before my visit and eats paleo now. I had no choice, really, because her house was free of anything that is banned, so yes, I think you can call this your transition into whole30, where it's better to make immediate good food choices than defer those.

When I came home, I started to read labels when I went shopping, and no longer purchased what was banned. I went thru my pantry, removing pasta, legumes, and any spices that had either no ingredient labels, or msg, or sugar, etc. yet I did not jump right away on the whole30 horse. I wanted to be over my jetlag by the time I started this journey, and wanted to be out of cheese. On June 18, for supper, I had my last bite of cheese, and on June 19th, I started to call my encounters with food meal 1, 2, and 3.

I love the fact that I can dedicate myself to this program with heart and soul, with no travel, no interference, and I admire people who are dealing with so many things at once, birthdays, parties, school reunions, work, weddings, while strictly adhering to whole30 rules and philosophy.

Last but not least... You can live without the scale! Yes, and this comes from somebody who stepped on it every day. I know the program works, have seen it with my children first hand, so I know as long as I eat what the template says, I don't need the scale...

Transitioning myself slowly is what I think will work better for me. I want it to be a permanent lifestyle change..not just for 30 days. I have noticed in the past when i have done different "diets" or different ways of eating and just picking a day to start, its just harder on me mentally. This is why I want to experiment with foods for the next three weeks before I am all in. The fact that I know I will also be out of town the next three weekends also makes no sense for me to be all in at this time. i stepped on the scale today and its not pretty considering where I was in January. Many things could have affected my weight like the loss of my mother in law in January and planning for my wedding that happened 3 weeks ago. Now its time to get back on track.

During the week should be easy for me, but knowing that I will be away for every weekend this month will make things challenging for me. I plan to just make better decisions on those weekends. 

I started the day today with 2 hardboiled eggs, some watermelon and kale chips made in my dehydrator with olive oil and sea salt. Last night i went to trader joes and came across some plantain chips that I am hoping will help with my snacking. Working at a desk all day does bad things for my eating, and even my energy level by the time I am home at night. Right now, my goal is to be clean 5 days a week until my weekend trips are over and then fully transition as August is an open month for me.

Yesterday was my first day of eating clean. Just to give an idea of how my body holds onto inflammation: One day of clean eating gave me a loss of 6lbs overnight. I felt great yesterday. Lots of energy which is much different from my usual days. By the time I am driving home from work, all I would thin about is getting home to lay down. Yesterday, I went shopping and did a bunch of housework. I didn't lay down until bedtime. I also slept great.

Despite eating perfect yesterday, I did notice issues that I really need to work on. The main being portion control. While I am using these next three weeks to get used to the foods first, I know that portion control needs to happen also. I am such a snacker at work, but once I leave i am fine as long as I keep busy. last night for dinner I made a yummy filet with portobello mushrooms and onions sauteed in olive oil. I snacked on some melon as a snack later on. I also drank a TON of water. Now its time to dodge the three dozen bagels that just got delivered to my work!

Angela - sounds like you are doing great and I am happy you are already finding new energy! May I suggest, hide the scale!

Women especially can fluctuate 3-5 pounds (or more) on a daily basis. It is not a good indicator of health or weight loss. Use your energy as a guide - see how your clothes are fitting, measure waist, hips, etc at the beginning and at the end of your w30. Take a picture of yourself to compare beginning and end. (Some of these are amazing - even when the weight stays exactly the same).

I also hold onto "water weight". My legs also swell when I work nights, my feel swell when I travel. When it is hot out, my hands swell. When I get into foods I should have (allergies and intolerances), everything swells :)

I used to weigh myself daily - well, sometimes multiple times a day. Losing the scale has been both the hardest and the most freeing thing about this program!

Good luck to you on your journey!

The scale will be given up once I am fully on board. With upcoming travel over the next few weeks I am just getting myself prepared with food choice and portion control and then the scale will be gone. I like to see my fluctuations and how different foods affect me. It has helped me to identify things that cause me major inflammation. Believe me, I cant wait to give up the scale completly!

Angela - sounds like you are doing great and I am happy you are already finding new energy! May I suggest, hide the scale!

Women especially can fluctuate 3-5 pounds (or more) on a daily basis. It is not a good indicator of health or weight loss. Use your energy as a guide - see how your clothes are fitting, measure waist, hips, etc at the beginning and at the end of your w30. Take a picture of yourself to compare beginning and end. (Some of these are amazing - even when the weight stays exactly the same).

I also hold onto "water weight". My legs also swell when I work nights, my feel swell when I travel. When it is hot out, my hands swell. When I get into foods I should have (allergies and intolerances), everything swells :)

I used to weigh myself daily - well, sometimes multiple times a day. Losing the scale has been both the hardest and the most freeing thing about this program!

Good luck to you on your journey!

I should probably change the title of my thread..but I dont know if I can. Im just using this time to prepare, as I find when I am just thrown into things it can get overwhelming. Preparation is always key for me and if I can get used to these meals first, I think it will help me a lot in the long run!

I missed that line in the beginning where you said you weren't beginning until August!  Sorry!  I look forward to reading about your journey!

Technically we should probably move your log to the Post W30 section, but I think for you what would be good is if you label each entry with something like Day -10 or what not...make it a countdown to your W30. Does that make sense? 

I do believe you can change your thread title, but if you can't figure out how send me a PM with what you would like it changed to and I can do that for you I think.

Yes, makes sense to count days like that! However, I anticipated all of my entries to be here in my "journal" so everything is easy to find in one place. I did not plan on opening up a new thread for every time I journal/log. That didnt make sense to me. Is that what you were thinking when you said to label each entry? Wouldn't that just clog up the boards?

Technically we should probably move your log to the Post W30 section, but I think for you what would be good is if you label each entry with something like Day -10 or what not...make it a countdown to your W30. Does that make sense? 

I do believe you can change your thread title, but if you can't figure out how send me a PM with what you would like it changed to and I can do that for you I think.

Hmm.. I dont see an option to title my posts. I just see a "Reply to this topic" buttton and thats how I reply. I dont see a "header" type line to name anything in the reply area...

There isn't a way to title a post. Look at this post from my 2nd Whole30 log to see what I'm talking about. Just a bold one line at the beginning of the post to make sure people reading it know where you are at.

Archived