Replacement Foods/Emotional Eating

Pre-Whole 30, I would drink wine a few days per week.  I really enjoy wine- trying new varietals, visiting local wineries, etc.  Of course, I also enjoyed the feeling of relaxation that came along with a couple of glasses, especially after a hard day at work.  I noticed that my emotional pull towards wine was getting stronger, so that was one of the catalysts for me to do a Whole30- I want to break that cycle and go back to being more of a connoisseur than someone who will just have a glass, just because. 

I'm now 15 days in to my Whole30, and have only had a couple of days where I really, really missed wine.  I've turned to kombucha as my nightly beverage when I feel like I need something other than water (maybe once or twice per week).  At social gatherings over the holiday weekend, I drank kombucha out of a wine glass and didn't feel deprived at all.

But yesterday, I noticed something.

I was setting up my very first kombucha home-brew system, when something went wrong and I got stressed out.  My immediate response was "I need a glass of kombucha!" just like in my pre-Whole30 days I would have reached for a glass of wine.  After drinking my kombucha, I also got a case of the munchies...just like wine used to do to me!  My emotional dependence on wine seems to have transferred over to kombucha.  Has anyone had that happen before?  I know reaching for kombucha is healthier than reaching for wine, but I don't want my emotional eating to transfer along for the ride.

This certainly can happen. I would say that any food or beverage consumed for reasons other than nourishment are cause for concern. I would make a list of non-food/drink things you can do when you are stressed or emotional. Post that list somewhere in your kitchen. Think of things that make you feel relaxed and calm. 

I am a bit concerned that your kombucha triggered the munchies. Are you certain there is no sugar added post fermentation in the brand you are currently drinking? 

Archived