Dizzy on Day 6

Hi!  I'm at Day 6 of my first Whole30, and I've been cruising along with no real issues.  In fact, I've been feeling quite good, and sleeping like someone hit me over the head with a heavy rock.  It's been awesome.

Suddenly, last night (day 5) about two hours after dinner I felt extremely dizzy.  The why-is-the-room-spinning kind of dizzy, the kind that makes me mis-judge doorways and afraid to drive.  Otherwise I felt just fine.  The dizzyness was gone when I got up this morning, but now, an hour after lunch, it's back.

Could this be my particular brand of detox?  Has anyone else experienced this?

For reference:

I'm a 51 year old female with no real health issues.

Day 5 Meal 1:

2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with black olives, four slices bacon, 1 cup green beans, 1 cup sweet potatoes.

Day 5 Meal 2:

Salad (spinach, red leaf, romaine, green leaf), tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, with olive oil and apple cider vinegar, grilled salmon (2 palms).

Day 5, Meal 3:

Roasted pork (2 palms), asparagus, sweet potatoes, macadamia nuts.

Day 6, Meal 1:

2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with black olives and chicken, 1 cup asparagus, 1 cup sweet potatoes.

I'm so curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.  I didn't have the classic hangover symptoms from the Timeline, and my KILL EVERYTHING phase was extremely minor -- like, half a day of irritability on Day 4.  This dizzy thing has caught me totally off guard!

• Moderators

Being dizzy like you describe is not normal. Your food looks pretty good.

Are you drinking enough water? Our recommendation is 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. So if you weighed 128 pounds, you would need to drink one gallon of water per day.

The other question is about salt given you are six days into the Whole30. Some people avoid salt and if you do that while eating only fresh, whole foods, you may not be getting enough salt and that can make you dizzy. The problem in modern life is the abundance of salt in processed foods. Absent processed foods, you really need to add salt when you cook.

Hi Tom, and thank you for your reply (and for moving me to the correct forum!). 

I don't salt the food until it's on my plate, but once it's there I salt -- well, just about everything (my husband calls me "the salt monster"), and I've been loving the pink Himalyan Sea Salt.  Perhaps this is an iodine issue?  I'm not sure if the Himalyan salt has it.

And I'm drinking right around 100 ounces of water a day (weighed 159 before starting Day 1).

Thank you, Mary, for the excellent suggestion. 

The dizziness has not reappeared today, but I did go in this morning to have my blood pressure checked, and it's on the low end of normal (103/60).  They told me to come back in if the dizziness comes back.  Maybe this is just part of my detox -- dizzyness instead of headache?  I don't know, but I'm optimistic that day 7 will be better.  :)

• Moderators

I don't salt the food until it's on my plate, but once it's there I salt -- well, just about everything (my husband calls me "the salt monster"), and I've been loving the pink Himalyan Sea Salt.  Perhaps this is an iodine issue?  I'm not sure if the Himalyan salt has it.

Pink Himalyan salt is unlikely to have any iodine in it as a trace mineral. I take a kelp supplement every day to make sure I get enough iodine, although I do use iodized salt much of the time. I don't believe that lack of iodine would lead to dizziness. 

Archived