Why does everything have added sugar?!?!?

Sonochick1994

Official start today, made it through feeling really great physically but mentally I cannot get over the added sugar in EVERYTHING!!! I don't have any specialty grocery stores in my area so I really have to be careful with mainstream products. It makes me MAD to know they add sugar to so many products; canned tomatoes, seasoning salt/ spice mixes, etc....it blows my mind!!!!

Sugar is added to make sub-par foods taste better - essentially, to cover up that they aren't very good.  And yes, it's in EVERYTHING.

Also watch out for soy.  My brain may or may not have exploded a little bit when I discovered that tuna packed in water contains soy.

I eat a lot of canned tuna canned in water. Would soy be listed in the ingredients? Mine just lists tuna, water.

If you found a brand with just tuna and water, that's great!!  I can't find any where I live.

My chicken of the sea tuna in water contains "tuna, chicken broth, water" ... and apparently the chicken broth has soy in it.

I'm glad I didn't eat any during my W30.  I hate throwing away food (and honestly, I'd feel too guilty about foisting it on poor people via food pantry / donation), so I'm going to try to eat it before starting a 2nd W30 later this summer.

But ... UGH!

I was at my boyfriend's house and needed to eat something.  He had like 100 cans of tuna in his pantry but nothing else whole30 compliant.  I checked the label just in case and while soy wasn't listed as an ingredient the label had a little side not saying that there was soy in the broth.  I never leave the house without good food any more.  Ever!

You feel guilty giving it to poor people/food bank because of the chicken broth/soy, so you are going to eat it yourself???

I think it would be better for you if you donated it rather than eating. If you can afford to replace it, that is.

Regardless, good luck with your next whole30!

I'd feel guilty foisting off food I wouldn't eat myself on people who can't afford any good sources of food.  This is probably one of the worst sources of food in my house, at this point.  I admit, I'm weird.  I also have a very hard-core "do NOT throw away perfectly good food" mentality (thanks, Mom), so I can't cope with the idea of throwing away the cans either.

Yes, I know it's better for me if I throw it away or give it away to the unfortunate, but ... my mental hangups are weird, it's only a few more cans, and then I'll shop better (I bought them well before I did a W30).

This is hard for me as well. I live in a small city, NO Trader Joe's or Whole Foods anywhere close. No coconut aminos, coconut cream, coconut milk without added cane sugar. I literally had a yelling fit when I read soy as an ingredient on the tuna can, because I feel tuna is crucial to my whole 30. If you don't have access to the bigger, natural markets, the parameters of the Whole 30 are much harder, IMO. I am going to make the 80 minute trek to Trader Joe's ASAP.

• Moderators

This is hard for me as well. I live in a small city, NO Trader Joe's or Whole Foods anywhere close. No coconut aminos, coconut cream, coconut milk without added cane sugar. I literally had a yelling fit when I read soy as an ingredient on the tuna can, because I feel tuna is crucial to my whole 30. If you don't have access to the bigger, natural markets, the parameters of the Whole 30 are much harder, IMO. I am going to make the 80 minute trek to Trader Joe's ASAP.

I don't know how you feel about online shopping, but many things can be purchased through Amazon. I'm not nearly as far from Whole Foods as you are from Trader Joe's, but I still find buying some things online to be much less hassle than going to get them, although since I refuse to pay for faster shipping, it does mean planning ahead.

Also, look for small, independent health food stores in your area, I knew we had one here, but didn't really go there much until my first W30. I've found coconut aminos and coconut oil and other ingredients there. Plus, they seem to be getting more and more food in that is Paleo friendly, which is nice.

And, if you can figure out what brand of something is compliant, you may be able to get your local grocery store to carry it -- you just have to know what to ask for.

Archived