Cabbage

wendelina

Even when I'm not W30'ing (like now), I'm trying to challenge myself to broaden my palate of vegetables.  The husband and I tend to get stuck in ruts.  W30 has helped a lot with this, since there's no way we could have made it through 30 days with snap/snow peas, broccoli, sweet peppers, and green beans.  :/  (I eat a lot of veggies and enjoy them ... but he merely tolerates my putting them on his plate because he knows he should eat them)

We now eat tons of veggies that we didn't before (I've found one kale recipe that he actually enjoys, instead of tolerating, we enjoy beets, sweet potatoes in most forms, rutabaga, turnip, and more squash than just souped, cauliflower, and summer squashes), which is great, but I feel as if I should keep trying new things.

So ... one thing I haven't yet tried is cabbage.  I can make cole slaw (which is no bad thing), but the hubs is once again "meh" on it (not into mayo, not into cabbage).

What are your favorite recipes which include cabbage?

Well, a long while back what I used to do is when I had Woodchuck that was about to go bad, I'd cook up the cabbage with a bottle of woodchuck on the stove, usually added apples, onions and spicy chicken sausage.  Seasonings depended upon how I felt that night.  Granted can't do that right now since I'm doing W30.

I would think though instead of using Woodchuck, a water and vinegar base might work.

Edit: additionally my ex loathed cabbage, but he was brave and determined he liked cabbage when I made it this way :)

Chopped cabbage salad.   I use green and savoy, green apples, purple onion, juice of one whole lemon.   I add fresh dill.  I make everything in thin slices not cubes.   If you need  a dressing, you can use coarse mustard with more lemon juice and oil of your choice - or add avocado slices.

I make a large bowl for the fridge.  I use it as a backbone for whatever I'm fixing.   Grilled fish, ribs, chicken, etc....I place my proteins on top.  If you want to get creative, you can add broccoli nips...just the smallest, tender part of broccoli, some shredded carrots, red peppers, even tiny bits of cauliflower and celery.   You can really throw everything in there and it last much longer than butter lettuce or leafy lettuces.   It's been my skeleton and backbone.    The lemon juice keeps everything from turning brown.  You can use all of the lemon but the seeds, the zest and pulp.    

I've added sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple and watermelon - separately or together.  You can really throw anything you want in there and it starts with sliced cabbage.   

• Moderators

It's good roasted. Here's a basic recipe.

Also, I made an Asian coleslaw that wasn't bad -- the recipe calls for honey, but it was way too sweet, so leaving it out probably wouldn't be a problem. If you want a bit of sweetness to it, maybe try chunks of pineapple or sub pineapple juice for the honey.

Edited to add: I mention the coleslaw recipe because it doesn't have mayo in it and therefore might be more appealing to your husband if he doesn't like mayo.

One thing I really enjoy is cabbage "goulash". I take a head of cabbage (chopped), some compliant tomato sauce, and a pound of ground meat. I let that simmer in the pot for about an hour or so, till its soft and its a great one pot meal. You can add peppers or onions if you want. 

Thanks, guys!  The husband is pretty brave and will eat anything I put in front of him, but I'd like him to be more into his food, and less "oh fine, it's here, I'm hungry, I guess I'll eat this."

I saw that cabbage showed up at the farmer's market this week, so I'll get on trying some of these!

One thing I really enjoy is cabbage "goulash". I take a head of cabbage (chopped), some compliant tomato sauce, and a pound of ground meat. I let that simmer in the pot for about an hour or so, till its soft and its a great one pot meal. You can add peppers or onions if you want. 

I make something like this at least once a week. I use compliant diced tomatoes instead of sauce sometimes & that works out well. It's great to throw chopped veggies in that are fading quick in the fridge. In winter, I add stock and make it into a hearty soup that warms you up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm Irish so cabbage is part of my raring too :) Boiled in the bacon (joint) water.

Now I prefer it roasted or fried in ghee.

Easy dinner is chicken thighs roasted on a bed of cabbage & halved baby potatoes.

I do stuffed cabbage.... Cook the leaves, prepare ground beef with some raw eggs, salt, pepper, cumin powder, and chop up the cooked heart of the cabbage into the mixture. Then I stuff my cabbage with it, turn it in arrow roots, sautéed it in a pan, and finish cooking it in the oven.

• 3 weeks later...

A simple cabbage side I like is sliced up like a slaw then just salt/pepper/coco oil/onion/sliced apple.  put in a lightly greased pan and mix up.

Put in oven around 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.  I stir the pan about 1/2 through.

Sorry I don't have measurements, etc.

I like this side as a meal 1 with ground pork too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I made last night. My 15 yr old daughter tried it and didn't hate it. Small victory!

Cider-Braised Red Cabbage:

2 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon caraway seeds

1 head red cabbage, thinly sliced

3/4 cup apple cider

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/schnitzel-biscuits-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Heat a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter until melted. Add the caraway seeds and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cabbage in batches until slightly wilted, 5 minutes. Add the cider and vinegar and simmer for 15 minutes until the cabbage is soft and supple. Season with salt and pepper.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/schnitzel-biscuits-recipe.html?oc=linkback

I love making "Mexi-Slaw" with it. Chop up a small head of cabbage and toss with lime juice; a few pinches of cumin, coriander, and chili powder; and a dash of cayenne and sea salt. Chop up some cilantro and avocado and stir those in. Let it sit for at least an hour if you have time - it gets better with age! ;) Keeps really well in the fridge for a few days. I like to make a big bowl and feast on it for days, as a side or with some sort of protein mixed in. Also makes a good filling for "tacos", using lettuce as the shell.

I do stuffed cabbage.... Cook the leaves, prepare ground beef with some raw eggs, salt, pepper, cumin powder, and chop up the cooked heart of the cabbage into the mixture. Then I stuff my cabbage with it, turn it in arrow roots, sautéed it in a pan, and finish cooking it in the oven.

You've been away for awhile.  I miss reading your posts.  :) 

Archived