Starting July 9th Vegetarian version for me and family

ironmom

Hello,

I'm starting the Whole30 for the first time tomorrow.  My family is going to join me in the adventure.  I'm a little concerned about being able to get enough protein.  I've been a vegetarian that eats, dairy, eggs, and seafood for the past 19 years.  This diet won't be a huge change for us but taking out dairy an limiting grains and legumes will be a little challenging for us.  I'm an avid runner.  I'm hoping my energy doesn't drop.

Happy eating!

~Ironmom

I've been a vegetarian that eats, dairy, eggs, and seafood for the past 19 years.

Ironmom, although Tina is correct: there is a separate totally vegetarian plan, it is intended for people who do not consume seafood. Since you do, I would encourage you to try the regular whole30 using eggs and seafood for your protein. Although the vegetarian plan is better than the standard american diet, it really is a compromise. The regular whole30 is a better choice if you can make it work.

• 1 year later...

Ironmom, I am one day behind you starting on July 10.  I have been vegetarian for 4 years (also celiac) so I am used to living without many foods.  This was a stressfull year and my eating habits declined (I feel like a junkatarian) so I am an embarking on the Whole30 as a reset button to get back on track.  I also run and lead a pretty active life so I have a few concerns about protein.  Just heading out for a run and thinking..."what the heck am I going to eat as my post wo meal that is portable" since I usually hang out with the ladies at the coffee shop for a bit after?  Also, although I am willing to include some seafood, I would prefer not to eat it more than 3 days a week.  I've always followed Brendan Brazier's THRIVE recipes as he is a respectable vegan athlete....but this plan contradicts so much of his ideals.  Still not sure if this is  for me but I can do anything for 30 days and at least this is making me think about healthy cooking and eating again.  Good luck with your journey!

• 2 weeks later...

Ironmom, I am one day behind you starting on July 10.  I have been vegetarian for 4 years (also celiac) so I am used to living without many foods.  This was a stressfull year and my eating habits declined (I feel like a junkatarian) so I am an embarking on the Whole30 as a reset button to get back on track.  I also run and lead a pretty active life so I have a few concerns about protein.  Just heading out for a run and thinking..."what the heck am I going to eat as my post wo meal that is portable" since I usually hang out with the ladies at the coffee shop for a bit after?  Also, although I am willing to include some seafood, I would prefer not to eat it more than 3 days a week.  I've always followed Brendan Brazier's THRIVE recipes as he is a respectable vegan athlete....but this plan contradicts so much of his ideals.  Still not sure if this is  for me but I can do anything for 30 days and at least this is making me think about healthy cooking and eating again.  Good luck with your journey!

How is yours going? I am just starting my plan today and eating eggs & seafood (using the Omnivore plan)

Archived