My husband doesn't eat vegetables...

daholleys

My husband is very supportive and decided to do the whole 30 with me; however, he absolutely refuses to eat vegetables and fruits. It's something that was put into his brain as a child and he never grew out of it. I'm concerned that, eating just meat and occasionally nuts, that it will not have a good affect on him. We are supposed to start tomorrow July 9th, but like I said I don't think it's a good idea. If I'm just being crazy please let me know. And if he will be okay and even benefit from it, let me know.

And just as a note, he will NOT eat fruits and vegetables, so responding with "maybe he'll try them and like them" no he won't.

Thank you in advance!

-Desiree

You're right. Nutritionally and energy-wise, it's not a good way to go. He'll have zero carbs and will be missing all the fiber and nutrients that veggies and fruit provide. Would he be willing to experiment with new ways of preparing vegetables?

Will he eat potatoes? Could you try roasting a rutabaga/sweet potatoes/other root veggies with a compliant fat and garlic/salt/pepper it tastes somewhat similar, has the same texture. My boyfriend who doesn't like veggies ate some roasted broccoli and enjoyed it. 

Has your husband read It starts with food? You should maybe talk to him and say, even though I appreciate the support, I would rather not worry about your eating, so you don't have to do this right now, but by trying my vegetables and fruits and eating compliant dinners with me that would be enough support. If you decide that you really like vegetables than you can do it with me. Say you just don't want him to feel really crappy because he's not getting the adequate nutrition that following the meal template provides (if he refuses to eat vegetables)

Like I said it's a mental thing. His brain is telling him that he won't like it and him eating a piece of fruit or something, he almost vomits. He eats corn and that is it.

I've tried many different ways. He does not like them. He literally thinks he'll throw up when it touches his mouth. It's all mental. And he knows this, too, so I'm not bad-mouthing my hubby, he's sitting next to me as I write this. He really feels he can't get past this. He knows it's irrational because it's to the point where he won't eat a casserole if he doesn't know all of the ingredients.

Well, you could talk to him while he's sleeping.   I just thought about something!  

Belleruth Naparstek.  Look her up on Amazon.  A practicing psychotherapist, author of Staying Well with Guided Imagery and Invisible Heroes, etc.

She has guided imagery CD's that help veterans with PTSD and all kinds of things, smoking, food, etc.  I have some.  They're very relaxing.   It won't cost you an arm and a leg.  Affordable.   He could listen to them while he sleeps.   It might just work.   

2120b.gif   2149b.gif

• Moderators

I think you should focus on yourself and your w30 experience. Without eating to template, he wouldn't be doing a w30. It seems that his participation, though with the intention of being supportive, would be distracting. I'm envisioning you putting your energy into taking care of him rather than yourself.

So, I start today, just me. But he is doing his own part and cutting sugar and he has sort of agreed to at least try everything I make. Thank you for your advice, I was really worried about how an all meat diet would affect him and I couldn't think of anything to give him that he would enjoy. So hopefully he feels a good change after no sugar for 30 days!!

I agree - focus on yourself and stop worrying about him.  As long as he doesn't try to sabotage you, what he chooses to put into his own body is his own problem.  It will be hard enough for you to get through a whole30 without stressing over what he does.

Archived