Austin Restaurants?

kcwoodhead

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in WF - they let me down when I saw they put sour cream and canola oil in their eggs and I've found approx 1 prepared chicken breast that is compliant.

I just can't help but assume the BBQ places are using sugar or a non-compliant oil/fat for their meat. Have you verified Whole30 compliant, or just basic Paleo?

Thanks for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Day 17 of my Whole30, and I've found some places around my part of town (NW Austin/Jollyville) that work:

Kerbey Lane (NW Austin location): Don't do any chicken, because it's all marinated in canola oil. I got a hamburger with fixings wrapped in lettuce with a salad on the side. It was okay, but hey, with Tuesdays being Kids Eat Free day, it's worth it to me. You can also get the tomato and watermelon gazpacho and the abogada sandwich (no bread) as is from the seasonal menu.

Whole Foods (Gateway): We got some stuff from the deli last week for dinner. Their rotisserie chicken is Whole30 compliant (chicken, salt, pepper), as is their grilled salmon from the cold case. You have to read labels for the prepared veggies and salads, but usually the green beans and asparagus are Whole30 compliant. I also got some roast beef and smoked turkey from the deli meat counter, and it was good to go. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find any bacon, ham, or hard sausages (salami, pepperoni, etc.) that don't have any sugar. I was able to find one brand of premade chicken sausages (Aidell's Chicken and Apple) that's sweetened with fruit juices, and the Applegate Farms hotdogs are Whole30 as well. You can find the sausages and hotdogs at HEB too. I haven't looked in the meat counter at the store-made sausages at WF, but that's my plan the next time I head to the store.

Monument Cafe (Georgetown): I was at the courthouse for jury summons yesterday, and I met my friend there for lunch. I did a pretty comprehensive Q&A session with one of the managers, and I was able to eat very well. All of their chicken is plain (not marinated), so any chicken is Whole30 compliant. The sauteed squash is sauteed in olive oil with onions and tomatoes, and it was tasty. I got the salad special (Market Salad), which was a half-head of grilled Romaine with roasted red pepper and cherry tomato. It comes with bleu cheese, but I swapped that out for chicken. I also got olive oil/balsamic vinegar instead of the maple vinaigrette. It was a bit plain, but my friend ordered a Cobb salad and gave me half of her avocado, and we got some fresh icebox pickles made with only apple cider vinegar and dill weed. Adding those to the salad really made it pop.

Sagiang Vietnamese (183/McNeil): I went here for lunch today and got a large pho with beef and had them sub the rice noodles for steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and sliced cabbage). I confirmed with the owner that they make their broth in-house and they don't use any sugar or soy in their pho preparations. It was fabulous. It scratched my Asian itch without having to worry about rice and/or soy. I did miss my hoisin sauce a little, but the cabbage lent so much sweetness to the broth that I almost liked it better!

Mama Fu's: After much discussion with my server and the manager, I found I could eat the chicken lettuce wraps with a bit of tweaking. Tell them to use only sesame oil, no sauce, and add cashews. I got some of the hot mustard for the sauce, and that is about the only thing on the menu that is Whole30 compliant.

I know for a fact Salt Lick won't work, because when I was at the airport last week looking for food, I assumed I could just get some brisket or chicken and be happy. Nope. They slather the meat with their sauce while it's smoking. I called Tino's Greek Cafe yesterday to get the info on their food, and it's a no go too. Their gyro meat comes from a company (and I assume it's full of yuckies), and while they do their chicken in house and use no sugar in the marinade, they use soy oil.

Last week at Alamo Drafthouse I got the spaghetti squash with chicken, but I did bring my own marinara (a technical no-no) because I called ahead and they put sugar in the marinara. My server was awesome once I explained. I also got the seasonal watermelon salad and had them sub out the cheese for cucumber slices. It was really really good, probably even better than the cheese version.

My big grocery store find: I got a few jars of the Central Market All-Natural pasta sauces on sale last week http://www.centralma...-New-Pasta.aspx, and they are my new best friend. I got them originally to take as my sauce for the Alamo Drafthouse visit, and they are fabo. Both the marinara and the alla normal are Whole30 compliant (alla norma has eggplant), but I didn't check the other flavors. I've used them to make quick and dirty chicken "parmesan" and they are great as a soup base. My afternoon snack at work is to get a coffee cup and fill it 1/3 up with the alla norma sauce, chunk up one of my chicken and apple sausages, and fill the rest of the cup with hot water. Nuke for a minute or so, and salt to taste. It is super yummy, and keeping the ingredients in the breakroom fridge means I also have a quick lunch if I forget to bring something and I just cannot make myself go to the cafeteria salad bar.

A lot of her stuff is good for general Paleo, but some of it isn't Whole30 compliant (for example, Kerbey Lane chicken and Alamo Drafthouse spaghetti squash and pretty much every salad dressing but olive oil/vinegar). She also lists a lot of restaurants that are South, so I had to do some scouting on my own in NW Austin.

Her blog is a great resource, though.

This is great info! Thanks! I'm on day 23 now and have eaten out at a few places, but for the most part have just cooked for myself because it seems easier. I did get a burger patty with guacamole on top at Abel's on the Lake and that was nice. I also had a salad at Waterloo with plain chicken and avocado - brought my own dressing, but honestly that was a bit boring. Galaxy Cafe told me they put nothing in their scrambled eggs and I had them Sunday, but they didn't look like my plain eggs so I'm not sure I trust them.

I've had the same experience at Whole foods as far as trying to find meat, etc. I did find Applegate Farms equivalent to little smokies and they have been great. Good news about Kerbey Lane though!

• 2 weeks later...

Richardson Farms (found at Austin, Tx local farmer's markets) has sugar free, hormone/nitrate/antibiotic free pork bacon! Local, cage free pastured pork - can't wait to get ours this week at the Farmer's Market (http://www.richardsonfarms.com/).

They sell it as pork belly (sliced) which can be prepared just like bacon, perfect for our Whole30!

Hope this helps Austinites :)

@Anne - np! We just had our first serving of the bacon... it was good, but not like the pseudo "bacon" we're used too... I reco seasoning while pan frying. Once we tried that - it was very tasty. The same farmer has whole 30 compliant chicken sausage with no sugar added. I'll let you know how that tastes:)

Also found applegate farms deli meat at central market deli counter that has no sugar, nitrates, hormones or additives.

And whole foods has "creamed coconut" from Lets go Organics across from the fish section (gateway whole foods). I use this in my coffee... It essentially hardens into a block once in the fridge, but there are no additives (like guar gum found in most canned coconut milks) and i scrape of a few pieces and add into my hot coffee - so tasty!

• 3 months later...

@ FusaroFTW

Thanks for the great info on Richardson Farms! I've seen them at Barton Creek Farmers Mkt on Saturdays and didn't bother to investigate because I didn't think they'd be whole30 friendly. Now that I know I'll be back this Saturday!!! I'm so excited because it's hard to find packaged sausages, even from WF or CM that are sugar-free without costing an arm and a leg. I have found that Sprouts has some whole30 great options. I might just be biased because I"m obsessed with Sprouts. Thanks from one Austinite to another:)

• 1 month later...

So far, I've eaten at Koriente, Bouldin Creek and 24 Diner. The most ambiguous thing I've only come across is cooking oil. Otherwise, those three places are great. Both Koriente and 24 Diner have a gluten-free menu, so it's pretty easy to make some choices.

Anyone want to meet up? I joined Austin Primal Living Group on MeetUp, but let me know if you're interested!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been doing Elevation Burger in North Austin, I am pretty sure if you don't get any of the dairy/fries it is whole 30 compliant, about to go there today. Nearly about to cry because I have nothing to eat at work and I am having personal drama, gotta love such a wonderful start to this program :(

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I got this email from the Flower Child (Austin - Domain) location. This is in regard to their meats which all appear complaint.

The chicken and steak both get marinated in the following:

Parsley

Oregano Leaves

Green Onions

Thyme Leaves

Garlic (rough chopped)

Chili Flakes

Kosher Salt

Grapeseed Oil

The salmon does not get marinated, but I believe they use some salt, pepper and grapeseed oil.  Please note that they can prepare the proteins without marinade, although it may take some extra time. 

• 1 month later...

Seems elevation burger closed since this thread was started.  I've got a few places i've eaten at that should be compliant i'll share options i've found in Austin though for those who find this thread later:

• Picnik The waitresses are aware of whole30 and have a special diets menu and can help you pick out items on it.  That and it's delicious.
  • Nancy's Sky Garden.  All the soups are made without dairy.  They give you a plate with protein in the middle and surrounded by vegetables.
  • Snap Kitchen.  They've got a lot of paleo options, and on some of them they even indicate that they're whole30 with bold text or a sticker.
  • Chipotle.  You can get salads with chorizo or carnitas.  Others meats are currently cooked in rice bran oil, so watch out
  • Inca Chicken.  They do peruvian roasted chicken and have many vegetable based sides.  Stay away from the mashed potatoes as they have dairy though.

I'm curious, has anyone managed to find a BBQ place with brisket they verified compliant yet?  I really want to go eat BBQ somewhere but I seem to be concluding most rubs include sugar, and of course most sauces do too.

@Lizz M

What did you end up eating at flower child?  I have only been eating out about once a week, so I understand grapeseed oil, canola oil etc is OK if you do it sparingly while eating out.

Archived