Philadelphia Cow Share???

MrsPefy13

Is there anyone in the Philly area that has used Philadelphia Cow Share (phillycowshare.com)?  It looks like a great option to get grass fed beef and pastured pork at decent price (roughly 9.50/lb for various cuts), but I wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience or reviews before I take the plunge and convince my husband it's a good reason to buy a chest freezer! :)

If you haven't used them specifically, have you found any other affordable places for bulk meat in the philly/bucks county area (I'm in Warminster)?

• 1 month later...

Hi - I just saw this, sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I keep meaning to join PCS, and have talked to and met with some of their folks - they're terrific, and do pastured pork as well.  Some trial runs with chicken, but it's not on their website.

I just STILL haven't bought a stand-alone freezer to accommodate all the goodness.  :(

I wouldn't hesitate, once I buy the freezer!  :)

(Other expenses keep getting in the way.  grrr.)

Hi - I just saw this, sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I keep meaning to join PCS, and have talked to and met with some of their folks - they're terrific, and do pastured pork as well.  Some trial runs with chicken, but it's not on their website.

I just STILL haven't bought a stand-alone freezer to accommodate all the goodness.  :(

I wouldn't hesitate, once I buy the freezer!  :)

(Other expenses keep getting in the way.  grrr.)

I've been having the same problem!

It's just such large amount of money up front we've been having trouble really making the investment... I'll have to start saving up for it. :)

I'm not in Philly and don't know PCS, but, I did go pastured meats last year when I did my Whole30.  We bought one freezer and then another when we moved in the Fall.  We started with a chicken share, then pastured pork when a side of one of those little bacon seeds was ready in February, and now have made a deposit on 1/4 of a cow.  

Having the freezers down there helps me keep more prepared foods upstairs in my regular side-by-side freezer.  To me, any cooked food that I can store for a day when I run low on food for meals is like gold.  I'm a bit geek-y and have two milk-style crates in each one.  I have four different colored crates and I inventory what goes in each crate so that I can have a running list upstairs.  It also prevents me from losing food at the bottom or losing too much cold air when I go hunting for something.

Archived