Falling Off the Wagon

Brenda Brailsford

I have started the Whole 30 about 4 times now...I am pretty sure I havent made it past 2 weeks. I follow the rules for every meal, where I am failing is sugar in between meals and usually bombing on the weekends. Cant really pin point why I cant seem to keep on track. Really hoping this isnt like smoking and it takes me 15 years to finally get it right!!

Thanks Dallas & Melissa for the forum, hoping to get some additional inspiration from others here.

I'm having a hard time too. I usually am fine for 7-10 days and then go into that huge craving phase... Luckily enough I'm doing it with my boyfriend and he helps me resisting everything (and endures my fantastic mood swings too). When I'm craving the fact that we are going through this together makes me stronger. Try to find someone near you that's willing to do it too, it becomes way easier! Good luck :)

Weekends are really hard for me too. I posted a thread about it in the log section. I really struggled with cravings, especially sugar, for the first week, but now I feel like I'm mostly past them. When I think about candy or bread, it doesn't even really sound good. Well, maybe some chocolate and peanut butter sounds okay. But I'm not craving the sugar or anything. It helps if I don't have it around. Or walk past it in the grocery store. Or look at pictures.

I walked by a melted Endangered Species dark chocolate bar in a zip lock bag on the sidewalk today (it must have fallen out of someone's bag) and my first thought was how sad they were going to be. I hadn't thought about chocolate for 18 days, but I can't get that melted, squished bar out of my mind. How crazy is that? I totally believe chocolate can be an addiction!

You're not alone. Hang in there. I also quit smoking 12 years ago. If we can that, we can this!

I don't know if this will help you, but during W30s I just decide that certain foods (sugar, wheat, dairy, white potatoes) are no longer food that I eat. I don't even let them into the realm of possibility; they are things I don't eat. There is no question. They become like crayons or coins or all those other things that I see and touch but don't eat.

I find that it's when I open up the question of maybe ("well, maybe I could just have one" or "if I say no to that food I might hurt her feelings" or "maybe they are all going to think I'm weird for asking for no cheese and subbing fruit for potatoes" or even "I'm feeling good, maybe I could eat tonight and then go back on-plan tomorrow") that's when I have trouble. I have to completely leave that box closed.

For instance, next Thursday night I have to go to a "taste of [my town]" event with lots of free food. I've already begun telling myself that I'm going to walk in and immediately get a cup of coffee (I'm hoping they have decaf! I may take hot tea just in case) and then I'll walk around with it in my hand and "show a presence" but I'm not eating. It's not a choice.

Here's another way to think: A friend who has a strong reaction to gluten once told me that in her mind, gluten is poison, no matter what it is attached to.

Keep trying! I really think eating real food is a life changing experience. I've been wondering more and more what our culture and world would be like if we weren't all so drugged and cravings-driven all the time.

I have started the Whole 30 about 4 times now...I am pretty sure I havent made it past 2 weeks. I follow the rules for every meal, where I am failing is sugar in between meals and usually bombing on the weekends. Cant really pin point why I cant seem to keep on track. Really hoping this isnt like smoking and it takes me 15 years to finally get it right!!

Thanks Dallas & Melissa for the forum, hoping to get some additional inspiration from others here.

Brenda - I wish you the very best. Sometimes it takes a couple of starts and stops before you find your rhythm. Hopefully having the support of the forum will be the difference that makes the difference for you this time around! Reach out and let us know how we can help!

Emily has some really great points here, and definitely stuff that I am going to put into practice now. I have trouble with getting about 2 weeks in and then suddenly giving in to something I shouldn't have. Then, I totally give up.

I have a dairy allergy and the reaction I get from dairy is horrible. It is just something I can never, ever have. I think I'm going to take up Emily's ideas of categorizing other foods in my mind to be the same way. I'm around cheese, ice cream, milk and cream all the time, but I never even consider partaking. The stuff just doesn't even matter to me anymore and it's probably because I've trained my mind to accept I can't have these things. I know I sure missed that stuff in the beginning, after it was discovered what was making me so sick. But, not anymore.

Thanks, Emily! Those are some great suggestions.

It's easiest for me to think of certain foods as being totally off-limits. My husband has relatives with celiac disease and so for them eating gluten is just not an option. The same goes for those with severe food allergies. My trigger/gateway foods need to be not an option for me mentally.

There are foods that I can't have "just a little" of. Sweets and starches are my kryptonite and are a big reason why I wound up nearly 60 pounds over an "ideal" weight. They've been gateway foods after my last two Whole30s; I have just a little of something and plan for it to be an occasional treat, and it ends up being an everyday thing and eventually just leads to abandoning good food choices entirely. Once I've derailed, I get into the mentality that it doesn't matter and I don't get back on track until I feel crummy and have regained weight that I was very happy to happen to lose.

So I'm going out on a limb here and will just be staying on Whole30 for the forseeable future. No big Day 31 changes to how I eat. As an example if I want to have a cupcake at our daughter's birthday in August, I will - but I won't be allowing myself to eat those gateway foods more than exceedingly rarely because for me they lead to self-sabotage.

I too have fallen off the wagon, but not in the gorging out kind of way. Most has to do with the monthly lady issue lol. BUT it doesn't happen all the time at all. I went by for 2 weeks and I was going really well too. I'm sticking it out. Lucky for me I don't crave chocolate or pastries, except apple pie......and what does my dad bring home from Costco? Yep, but it didn't look appetizing to me at all....

Archived