Breakfast + Morning Exercise

starxlr8

I'm starting to work out (walk/run treadmill) MWF at 8am. I get up around 6:30 and normally eat breakfast between 7 and 8, depending on the day. 

This morning I tried to follow the meal template for work outs and had one fried egg 45 minutes before and a chicken breast and sweet potato 30 minutes after. It was fine but don't think I'll normally have that kind of time. I don't plan on eating again before lunch. Today, around 2pm. 

I've read through a lot of threads about breakfast and the WO meals, but none seemed to fit my profile of having more than 100 pounds to lose with PCOS and hypothyroid. I'm exercising essentially for the first time in 6 years. 

My question relates to meal planning. I'm thinking nuts or hard boiled egg around 7 and then a post-WO breakfast around 9. However, I'm assuming that post-Whole30 that I'll need to be more mindful about my starchy carbs and extra fat portions (i.e. 2T coconut oil AND whole avocado in same meal) to continue weight loss. One of my favorite breakfasts is scrambled eggs in coconut oil with kale, coconut aminos, and a few sesame seeds on top. 

Does that sound OK for a post-WO breakfast as long as I'm not ravenous by lunch? Do I still include a fat portion with breakfast since it will be beyond 30 minutes past exercise?

Can you eat a regular breakfast before this workout without feeling sick?

If so, considering your context, I would recommend skipping pre- and post-workout food and just having breakfast within 30 minutes of waking instead. If you start doing strength training, you might add the post-workout protein on top of that, but I think eating a full template meal within 30 minutes of waking might be more important at this stage.

Thank you missmary. I will try this on Friday and see how it goes. 

Right now it's more being able to eat that soon upon waking. I am slowly recovering from chronic a.m. sour stomach, I assume from drinking Diet Coke all day long pre-Whole30.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you missmary. I will try this on Friday and see how it goes. 

Right now it's more being able to eat that soon upon waking. I am slowly recovering from chronic a.m. sour stomach, I assume from drinking Diet Coke all day long pre-Whole30.

If that is the case I would prepare a template sized meal 1. Eat what you can before your workout and the rest after. Really start training your body to eat within an hour of waking and it will eventually respond.

I used to be unable to eat in the mornings. Physibeth's strategy worked for me.

I actually found one of the things which gives me a sour stomach early in the morning is not eating protein with breakfast.

Peppermint tea helps settle my stomach down, but it can taste weird with breakfast ;)

I am wanting to start the whole 30 as despite a physically active lifestyle I am unable to get my weight under 150lbs.  I am starting to notice that more fat is collecting around my midsection and less on my thighs as has been the tradition with my body.  The belly fat scares me and despite my efforts to eat less calories I am not losing tummy fat.

My question also pertains to this topic because I exercise every day with about 4 days a week being extended cardio and the rest of the week is weights and or calisthenics.  I noticed that I cannot eat and drink much prior to a 2 to 3 mile morning run without feeling bloaty, sick and exhausted mid run.  Traditionally I drink 8oz. of water when I wake up and then go for a run 30 minutes later.  About 15 minutes after I get back, I feel well enough to eat a full meal.  By this time I am extremely hungry and I know I could eat 4 eggs scrambled with vegetables quite easily.

Will I mess up the whole30 program if I don't eat prior to running?

For as long as I can remember, I have never been hungry first thing in the morning, always about an hour after waking.

I am wanting to start the whole 30 as despite a physically active lifestyle I am unable to get my weight under 150lbs.  I am starting to notice that more fat is collecting around my midsection and less on my thighs as has been the tradition with my body.  The belly fat scares me and despite my efforts to eat less calories I am not losing tummy fat.

My question also pertains to this topic because I exercise every day with about 4 days a week being extended cardio and the rest of the week is weights and or calisthenics.  I noticed that I cannot eat and drink much prior to a 2 to 3 mile morning run without feeling bloaty, sick and exhausted mid run.  Traditionally I drink 8oz. of water when I wake up and then go for a run 30 minutes later.  About 15 minutes after I get back, I feel well enough to eat a full meal.  By this time I am extremely hungry and I know I could eat 4 eggs scrambled with vegetables quite easily.

Will I mess up the whole30 program if I don't eat prior to running?

For as long as I can remember, I have never been hungry first thing in the morning, always about an hour after waking.

I'm sorry, because I am sure you don't want to hear this, but yours is a very common problem and the answer is NOT to do the whole30 without breakfast and go for a run first thing in the morning. The belly fat, the lack of hunger in the morning, the inability to lose weight despite being active, they all point to an imbalance of hormones, especially cortisol. Your health and your hormones would probably be much better served skipping the run and having breakfast within an hour of waking instead. You could go for a walk after breakfast if you like. Would you consider trying this for 30 days along with the dietary changes?

This might be a tough change for me although the walk alone might be ok.  I need my hour of quiet time in the morning before the rest of the house wakes up and the chaos begins.  Maybe it is stress and cortisol spikes but I do feel that it can be difficult to get some alone time with a needy household.  I have taken that quiet time in the morning to myself as a way to get ready to face the day.  I could try to skip the morning run for 30 days but I am afraid of losing the stamina and extra energy that exercise gives me.

I think I would try anything to get rid of that 1400 slump where I feel like I need a nap or a cup of coffee to get through the day.

I think I would try anything to get rid of that 1400 slump where I feel like I need a nap or a cup of coffee to get through the day.

Yeah, this sounds like a cortisol issue for sure. Even cutting back the runs to one or two per week and doing a walk the other days would be a good first step. 

Archived