Do you try and rectify off template decision in you next meal?

Guest WholeStanley

Guest WholeStanley

So I didn't make the best food choices for myself today (I am trying to avoid saying I made a 'bad' food choice - I just know I didn't handle the situation very well and in future I could have made a better call).

I was having a frustrating day at work and felt grumpy, unproductive and a bit anxious, and I returned to my old ways of thinking - 'food will make me feel better!'

So even though I had lunch and wasn't hungry I went to the supermarket and bought and ate a whole bag of macadamia nuts (nearly 1 cup i reckon), some smoked salmon and loads of melon (over 2 cups).

This wasn't me having a mini-meal to bide me over between lunch and dinner, this was just me giving into a tired/fed up craving - infact I think a lot of this was just because I was thirsty, especially the melon overload!

So I was just wondering how other people manage when they eat food for the sake of it and not within the template. Because I ate a lot of fat (the nuts) would you have less/no fat in your M3? OR do you just put this down to a suboptimal afternoon, put it in the past and carry on as normal?

Thanks for any input in advance!

So I didn't make the best food choices for myself today (I am trying to avoid saying I made a 'bad' food choice - I just know I didn't handle the situation very well and in future I could have made a better call).

I was having a frustrating day at work and felt grumpy, unproductive and a bit anxious, and I returned to my old ways of thinking - 'food will make me feel better!'

So even though I had lunch and wasn't hungry I went to the supermarket and bought and ate a whole bag of macadamia nuts (nearly 1 cup i reckon), some smoked salmon and loads of melon (over 2 cups).

This wasn't me having a mini-meal to bide me over between lunch and dinner, this was just me giving into a tired/fed up craving - infact I think a lot of this was just because I was thirsty, especially the melon overload!

So I was just wondering how other people manage when they eat food for the sake of it and not within the template. Because I ate a lot of fat (the nuts) would you have less/no fat in your M3? OR do you just put this down to a suboptimal afternoon, put it in the past and carry on as normal?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Whole Stanley,   I enjoy your honesty so much.    :) 

Guest WholeStanley

Whole Stanley,   I enjoy your honesty so much.    :) 

Haha I enjoy that I can be honest on this forum - nice to know that when ur not sure of the answer you can just put it on here and get some feedback

its stops me going over thinking things/getting worked up, i just download any issues on here and wait to hear what others have to say - i love that you can range of questions you can find answers for, from 'what should i have to dinner/do with chicken livers?' to 'im feeling really ill/tired/depressed - what shall i do?' hah

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely wouldn't limit fat in my next meal. I think that might get you into a tricky area of eating less satiating food, leading to more not great food choices. Plus it feels like self-flagellation, which could have all kinds of psychological repercussions.

I've been making some not great choices myself and the best thing is getting right back on template eating.

Agree with Beets and others.  Punishing yourself by going "off template" for going "off template" sounds to me to be the start of a vicious circle.  The "template" should be your normal way of eating --- not punishment or reward for not having made good choices.  (My opinion)

When I'm not on a whole 30, I will somewhat rectify food choices, but not as a punishment. For instance, if I eat too little fat at a meal, I'll try to eat a bit more at the next meal. If one meal is really carb heavy and low protein, I'll have more protein and less carbs at the next one. If I'm on a W30, I'll obviously eat template at every meal, but I don't see how what I described above is a problem if you aren't on the W30. I'm just understanding my body, and most of the time...I crave what I didn't get at the meal prior. The meal after a veggie-light meal I'll want lots of veggies. I crave fat if I didn't get any previously (like at lunch today - my breakfast was Chex and almond milk...by the time lunch came around I was light headed, so I had a spoon of nut butter while making my plate). The trick for me off-W30 is to not fall face-first into Glutino sandwich cookies with peanut butter on top.

So if it isn't punishment (and I promise, it's not for me) - why would trying to balance out your meals over the course of a day be a bad thing?

Archived