Eating correctly?

Ankinha

Hello fellow Whole30 community,

I am a little bit unsure about that fat portions I need to eat, even after reading the book/looking at the meal template. 

So here are the last meals I've eaten, just to give you an idea. All my veggies are normally oven roasted in about 1.5 table spoons of coconut oil or pan fried in olive oil. 

Day 1

B'fast: 2 eggs fried in olive oil, 1 portobello mushroom, some spinach, sliced carrot, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: handful of rocket, 1 apple chopped, 1/2 beet, a few hazelnuts, smoked salmon, olive oil

Dinner: 2 palms full of roast chicken, steamed broccoli, roasted carrots + butternut squash

Day 2 

B'fast: 1-2 palms full of roast chicken, left over roaster carrots/squash, 1 fried courgette, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: tin of sardines, left over roast carrots/squash, 1 courgette, 1 pepper and handful of olives

Dinner: chicken curry (home made with left over chicken, curry spices, apple and sultanas, tin tomatos) plus 2 cups of home made ratatouille

Day 3

B'fast: last night's chicken curry with ratatouille and some roasted sweet potatoes plus olives

Lunch: Same as for breakfast plus olives

Dinner: roasted sweet potato with beef, coconut milk, green beans, onions and peppers

Day 4

B'fast: 2 scrambled eggs (in coconut oil, with 1 slice of compliant prosciutto ham), handful of roasted sweet potatoes/carrots, 2 big spoons full of ratatouille and 1/2 avocado.

Lunch: last night's dinner, with some olives

Dinner: ratatouille and chicken curry leftovers with 1/2 avocado

Day 5

B'fast: 2 scrambled eggs (in coconut oil, with 1 slice of compliant prosciutto ham), 2 cups full of roasted butternut squash, courgettes and onions, 1/2 avocado

During the day I mainly drink water (in which I have some fruit to get it nicely flavored), about 2.5 litres a day. I haven't re-started exercise this week, but will do so as of Monday. 

QUESTION: am I eating enough fat and am I doing this Whole30 plan right? I am surely not supposed to eat all the fat that is listed on there? 

I am astonished that I am not hungry in between meals. I have breakfast around 9am'ish and would then have lunch between 1-1.30pm and dinner between 7.30-8pm. Normally I would be hungry in between meals etc. but I now manage not to snack!! I was on WeightWatchers before (hated it) and did calorie counting for the last year. Doing the Whole30 is so liberating as there is no counting, weighing etc. 

Many thanks for your comments!

Anke 

Guest WholeStanley

this looks pretty good to me - and tasty! isn't it fun to just eat three times a day and not actually be hungry in between!

• Moderators

Day 1: Eggs include fat, so adding more is optional. Two eggs is kind of small for your protein serving.

Lunch was probably good for fat with the hazelnuts and the salmon being a fatty fish, plus the olive oil as a dressing.

Dinner may not have had enough fat if you ate white meat and no dark meat because white meat is so lean and your cooking fats would not have added much to the overall meal. 

Other days look pretty perfect. You are definitely doing well!

You guys made me laugh. No, I didn't have sweets for lunch just "British arugula"  :) 

Still confused about the fat portions though. The meal template seems to suggest to make sure to eat all of the fat portions listed per meal, which can't be right unless I am simply not getting it.

If I eat white meat should I then add something like half an avocado but if I eat red meat or eggs then not? Sorry, but after month and month of counting calories and struggling with my weight I want to be sure to do the right thing and not pile on the pounds again. Can somebody please spell it out for me? Am on Day 6 and so far I am loving it! Thank you all. 

You only need to eat one source of fat at each meal - so olives, oil, avo or nuts. Just eat one serve (a thumb size amount) unless you're not staying full until your meal, then try adding another serve to your meals.

You only need to eat one source of fat at each meal - so olives, oil, avo or nuts. Just eat one serve (a thumb size amount) unless you're not staying full until your meal, then try adding another serve to your meals.

Yes, this is correct that the recommendation is 1-2 fat sources per meal.

The serving sizes vary on what they are. The 1-2 thumb sized portion is for oils, ghee/clarified butter, homemade mayo and nut butters. Olives: 1-2 open (heaping handfuls), Nuts: up to one closed handful. Avocado: 1/2 - whole avocado. This and other details are on the meal template

• Moderators

The meal template is a little confusing regarding the fat portions, but I think after the initial thought "Am I supposed to eat ALL of these fats at each meal?" one realizes this would be ridiculous in practice.

It wouldn't hurt to make that just a little more clear perhaps.

The meal template is a little confusing regarding the fat portions, but I think after the initial thought "Am I supposed to eat ALL of these fats at each meal?" one realizes this would be ridiculous in practice.

It wouldn't hurt to make that just a little more clear perhaps.

Thanks, that's what I meant. So I will now add one of those choices to my meals, even when I am having eggs etc. Fingers crossed that this will all work out. Will start exercise again as of Monday. 

Archived