Insomnia linked to lack of salt intake

Before starting my whole30, I was practically never adding any salt to anything due to my significant other's blood pressure situation, and I was a good sleeper, the type that would just put the head on the pillow and be asleep.

However, on day 13, I started to take several hours to fall asleep, and when I finally was, slept only a few hours. I was looking around in this forum for sleep related problems, but I only could see how people actually reported sleeping much better around that time in the program, and I also came across the notice about salt intake. But nothing was cross-referencing sleeping problems and lack of salt intake.

I was desperate, cranky, tired, when I came across this article on Mark's Daily Apple, "How to manufacture the best night of sleep in your life" (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-manufacture-the-best-night-of-sleep-in-your-life/#ixzz36J1OJyrE). Under "General Advice" it reads:

"Make sure to eat enough salt during the day, since a depletion of bodily sodium stores can trigger overtraining-like symptoms, raise blood pressure, and impair the quality of your sleep. I won’t give an absolute amount, because that will differ based on size, activity level, stress, and many other factors. Just salt your food until it tastes good. So much for total salt avoidance, eh?"

A light went on, and I realized by just cutting out the cheese and saucisson out my diet for 13 days, and adding too little salt to my food, I brought on insomnia. After one day, I already fell asleep faster, but it took me about three days until I was my old self again in the sleeping department.

I felt it was important to share this experience in the forum, in case other people experience problems sleeping that may be related to lack of salt intake.

On day 23, going strong.

• 2 weeks later...

My sleeping problems are back... Taking magnesium, increased salt intake. Is there anybody out there who can help me with this? I was such a good sleeper prior to my whole30, and I am in so much need of assistance. On day 36, and can't sleep. Nothing stresses me, I don't watch tv at night, exercise an hour a day...

Please, help me sleep!

What kind of magensium are you taking, and what delivery? I believe the absorption is better if you make your own spray with magnesium + distilled water. How much are you taking? Also, are you having hormonal issues? Progesterone as something that aids in sleep & relaxation. Valerian root does it for me better than melatonin or even ambien, by the way. About 400mg and I am OUT. You may not have had any stressors, but this lack of sleep sounds like it's become one. Maybe valerian root would get you past this nocturnal cycle?

Thanks clabbergirl. I am France and have no access to Ambien.... Lots of those supplements have alcohol in it here in France. I am taking 250 mg of "marine" based magnesium. No hormonal issues. I was sleeping fine before whole 30. Realized I was not consuming enough salt so I don't know how to be sure I consume enough salt. Will try valerian root then... Really desperate...

I started Whole30 last Monday, and have not had restful sleep since then. The last two nights I may have gotten 3-4 hours, when I typically get 7-8 hours. I am exhausted...but yet don't have the daily fatigue I used to...if that makes sense. I do take 150mg. of magnesium before bed, and have for sometime before starting the program. I do have some things going on in my family currently...so could be that too. I just find it interesting being restless/less sleep since starting the program.

Archived