July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

We've got a couple of July 14 start threads, so I thought I'd start a main one that we can use for support and such. I know it's not July 14 yet, but does anyone want to talk prepping?

I bought It Starts With Food for my Kindle and plan to read it this weekemd. Tomorrow is my kid's birthday party (pizza and cupcakes!), but Sunday I'll be hitting the supermarket for meats and veggies. I've already got some homemade compliant sausage in the fridge to go with my eggs. And I've got a garden bursting with tomatoes and lettuce. Freezer is stocked with chicken, seafood, and beef, too. Really I only need to grab a few things--carrots and greens/spinach and avocado--and I'll be ready. Maybe some chicken backs for bone broth, too...

Who else is prepping for July 14?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking bout starting July 14....waiting to see if my daughter will start with me. July is super hectic, so I'm contemplating starting August 1. On the one hand I'm ready for change, but then on the other, I am worried about the affects of detoxing from sugar, caffeine, gluten...I am definitely looking for some support on the forum!

Hi all! I'm starting on 7/14,too. Today I'm doing some prepping: bone broth in the crockpot to make some acorn squash soup and meatballs (from Nom Nom Paleo). Then I'm going to make some breakfast egg cups and get some greens/salad chopped and ready.

I've been paleo for almost a year, but I want to tune up a bit and try some new things, so I don't get in a rut.

I'm looking forward to taking this journey with you all. :)

I had to bring my 3 kids to the supermarket with me, so I wasn't able to concentrate as much as I'd like. But I did find compliant pickles, which is a total score, because pickles give me that salt/crunch thing I crave.

I pulled some bone broth out of my freezer and it's thawing in the fridge. I also had some compliant meatballs in the freezer that I'll make tomorrow. I love meatballs for an easy lunch or meal.

I made my zoodles and they're in my fridge. Four zuchinni's worth. Throughout this week I'll just pull out what I need for things like "spaghetti" and "pasta" salad.

Even when I'm not eating paleo, I plan my meals a week in advance: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It just makes my life easier.

I put together a shopping list for my hubby (who is an awesome stay at home dad). He is going to pick everything tomorrow since we just finished a 21 hour drive over two days today! So probably will just do a quick omelet for breakfast and salad for lunch. Good luck everyone!

My name is Karen and I am starting today July 14 2014.  I weigh 156 lbs and have not been exercising or taking care of myself.  Today is the day that I will take care of myself and plan to do this program everyday for 30 days.   I wish all of you success as well.  Karen

You can add me to the July 14th group starting!  Whoo hoo, I am exctied, I did a W30 last July and I had a great experience.  I have been probably 70% paleo since that time, but I want to focus again and remove all of the snacky foods that do nothing for me.

Here is to a great 30 days!

my plan for today:

B- eggs and bacon

L - salad with chicken and avocado

D - meatloaf with cauliflower and spinach

I had to bring my 3 kids to the supermarket with me, so I wasn't able to concentrate as much as I'd like. But I did find compliant pickles, which is a total score, because pickles give me that salt/crunch thing I crave.

I pulled some bone broth out of my freezer and it's thawing in the fridge. I also had some compliant meatballs in the freezer that I'll make tomorrow. I love meatballs for an easy lunch or meal.

I made my zoodles and they're in my fridge. Four zuchinni's worth. Throughout this week I'll just pull out what I need for things like "spaghetti" and "pasta" salad.

Even when I'm not eating paleo, I plan my meals a week in advance: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It just makes my life easier.

Just curious what brand of pickles and meat balls? Been looking but I can't find too many. 

My name is Cody and I'm starting today, the 14th as well. I've spent the last year reading about Paleo and how foods affect us, but I've had no clear idea how to start. I stumbled across Whole30 about five days ago and instantly felt like this was the plan for me. I'm not looking to simply change things for 30 days and stop, I'm looking to radically shift my life.

I ordered "It Starts With Food" and just got it in the mail a couple days ago so I haven't had time to read it all yet, but I've used the rules on the website to get prepared for this amazing adventure. Yesterday I got a ton of veggies, some eggs, chicken breast (unfortunately I couldn't find any sausage where I'd gone to shop), and spent a couple hours chopping, roasting, and organizing for the next couple days until I can get back to the store for more.

Initially, I was telling myself I couldn't do this. It's too much too fast and that's a lot to take on, but then while reading the rules, Dallas and Melissa's tough love about not saying this is hard because beating cancer is hard, birthing a baby is hard, and losing a parent is hard, but drinking your coffee black is not hard struck me. I realized I've been making excuses my whole life about why I can't do things instead of believing in myself and really giving it my full effort. So, I decided to do it. And COMMIT to it 100%. I can't wait to start this incredible journey with all of you!

-Cody

This is my 2 Whole30. I did my first in one in Feb. I was supposed to continue but I didn’t. I have tried to restart at least twice but I am such a carboholic that I kept cheating. I am determined to get this going again and to be successful. I have Leakey Gut, I am not feeling great, and am getting numbness back in my hands from inflammation in my neck.

I really looked at the goals that I had set the last time and redid them. This time I did it right on the worksheet. I realized that my goals the last time where more mental and less attainable. This time I am keeping them very doable.

Here are what my goals are: 

1. Nutrition: Do my food log every day and how I feel after I eat. Also noting down if I am having bad sugar cravings. This way I make sure I am still not feeding the sugar dragon and I can track any additional foods that make me feel sick and I need to omit.

2. Sleep: I will get into bed by 9 pm if not 8:30 pm as many nights as I can. I have to at least get 4 in.

3. Stress Management: When I feel or realized I am stressed I am going to stop and find a way to relax by taking 5 min break, taking deep breaths, taking a short walk, or just telling myself it is ok.

4. Exercise: continue to do my morning routine 6/per week and get in 3-4 20-30 min walks per week.

I have also re-subscribed to the Daily Newsletter. That was very helpful for me the first time. If anyone else wants to share please do.

I did a lot of food prep yesterday. I made a bone stock for when I am nauseous this week. I made Turkey veggie soup, turkey lettuce cups, cooked chicken and chicken curry for my salads this week.

I do need to eat more than what the book says because I am hypoglycemic so in my food log you will notice a lot of food. I also eat smaller portions too. Here is what I am going to eat today:

Turkey sausage with sautéed zucchini & basil

½ portions ground spiced meat & cucumbers

Curry chicken salad with a vinaigrette

½ portions ground spiced meat with celery sticks and kim chi

Grilled lamb chops, steamed veggies

Hi everyone!! I am so excited to see that there are a number of other people who started today as well. I'm a little nervous, to be honest, as I have tried to complete a whole 30 a number of times already. Now that I am out of work for the summer thought, I think this will be a fantastic time to take care of myself and finally slay my sugar dragon (who I've decided has grown far too large ..... I am considering naming her Daenerys .... ).

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "hello." I'm really excited for the next 30 days. :)

Good morning!  I am starting my second Whole30 (well really Whole60) today.  My name is Jamie.  I'm married to a wonderful guy and have two older teenagers.  No one else in my house is interested in Whole30.  Last time I did this (not long ago), I made two meals all the time so they would not have to do it.  This time, they can eat what I eat.  :D  

I was not fully satisfied with my results last time -- actually was downright disappointed.  Lost 4 pounds and seemingly no size.  After doing the Whole30 once though, and then reflecting on it some -- and going totally off plan and on a vacation --  I have come to the conclusion or realization that I will be whatever size I am.  So be it.  BUT -- I can FEEL much better than I do now.  So I'm doing a Whole60 to give more time to undo 43 years of bad eating and a 15 year stint of moderate to heavy drinking (which I did stop about 6 years ago).  I started today.

Breakfast was 3 eggs with onions, yellow squash, sweet potato and green beans.  I cooked the veggies in ghee first.  Salt and pepper.

From my past experience with Whole30, one of the biggest keys to staying on plan is to always be prepared.  Spend time on a day off chopping, cooking etc.  The time it is most difficult to stick with it is when you are already starving and nothing is prepped.  And keep a stash of whole30 compliant items at work or in car or purse or whatever -- so its handy in case your schedule gets derailed for some unknown reason.

Here's to more healthy living and feeling awesome!

Jamie

Just curious what brand of pickles and meat balls? Been looking but I can't find too many. 

The meatballs are homemade. I basically just ball up some ground meat, spices, and herbs. I freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet, then when they're solid, I toss 'em in a ziptop bag and keep them frozen. Then I just pull out what I need and bake in a little bone broth for added moisture.

The pickles are called Natural's Kitchen, but I think they might be regional.

I also make my own refrigerator pickles. Super easy. Slice 6-8 mini cukes in spears. Put a bunch of fresh dill and some minced garlic in a wide-mouth quart mason jar. Pack cuke spears in jar. Mix a brine of 1&1/2 cups water, 1&1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, and 3 tabplespoons white vinegar. Pour brine over cukes. Screw on lid. Keep in fridge. In two days, yummy pickles!

Good morning!  I am starting my second Whole30 (well really Whole60) today.  My name is Jamie.  I'm married to a wonderful guy and have two older teenagers.  No one else in my house is interested in Whole30.  Last time I did this (not long ago), I made two meals all the time so they would not have to do it.  This time, they can eat what I eat.  :D  

I was not fully satisfied with my results last time -- actually was downright disappointed.  Lost 4 pounds and seemingly no size.  After doing the Whole30 once though, and then reflecting on it some -- and going totally off plan and on a vacation --  I have come to the conclusion or realization that I will be whatever size I am.  So be it.  BUT -- I can FEEL much better than I do now.  So I'm doing a Whole60 to give more time to undo 43 years of bad eating and a 15 year stint of moderate to heavy drinking (which I did stop about 6 years ago).  I started today.

Breakfast was 3 eggs with onions, yellow squash, sweet potato and green beans.  I cooked the veggies in ghee first.  Salt and pepper.

From my past experience with Whole30, one of the biggest keys to staying on plan is to always be prepared.  Spend time on a day off chopping, cooking etc.  The time it is most difficult to stick with it is when you are already starving and nothing is prepped.  And keep a stash of whole30 compliant items at work or in car or purse or whatever -- so its handy in case your schedule gets derailed for some unknown reason.

Here's to more healthy living and feeling awesome!

Jamie

Jamie - I applaud you for deciding to make only one meal in your household! I did the same when I started basic Paleo (just my husband and myself at home, though) and while there was some whining about the lack of bread with meals or no pizza and pasta, he did get over it and now he's nearly grain-free and admits he feels much healthier than before. In the early phases I told him he could have the non-compliant foods, but he had to purchase them (and keep them out of my direct line of sight). He did a little bit, but then he slowly let it go. Your family may not be onboard yet, but they probably will be by osmosis in the end. :)

High-five to preparationg - key to success!

Now I REALLY am starting with you all because I had a mojito last night out with friends. I kinda/sorta had a mindset for Monday anyway, so other than the mojito, at least I was eating healthy.....but TODAY is REALLY day 1! I cooked up the weeks food that was recommended on www.theclothesmakethe girl.com - have you guys discovered that site yet? Have a bunch of meat and veggies all ready to go and have done well (other than what I confessed). I need to make a sauce or two though....finding the meat a bit dry. Also, need to make a salad dressing. Rice vinegar won't cut it for very long! If anyone has a fav recipe, feel free to share! My motives aren't weight related. In fact I'm one of those people who hopes I don't lose weight, but I have horrible knees from years of being addicted to running (and other sports) and am hopeful for some joint relief as well as a difference in my attitude toward food.

I scale this down and make this for my salad dressing: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/absolutely-fabulous-greekhouse-dressing/

My favorite way to eat it is with a zoodle greek salad: zoodles, juilienned carrots, chopped cukes, chopped tomatoes, diced onion, sliced kalamata olives, and anything else I want to throw in (sometimes chopped peppers or chopped mushrooms). Toss with this dressing and it's yummers!

Glad to see so many people on board this week.

My biggest problem is hunger. I'm an active, nursing mom, and I get HUNGRY. When I eat Whole30, I almost always need a snack during the day. I don't "workout" per say, but I am active (dance around living room with the kids, gardening outside, stopping sometimes to do push-ups and planks and squats, etc.). So I kind of feel I need a snack or two.

Breakfast today was fried eggs over sauteed baby spinach (in "Primal Fat," which is a combo of ghee and coconut oil).

Lunch was my meatballs and a bowl of the aforementioned greek zoodle salad.

I had to have a snack, so I had some fried up pork belly and chopped tomatoes wrapped in lettuce leaves... a mock BLT.

My plan for dinner is a taco salad: taco seasoned meat on top of lettuce from my garden, tossed with some chopped avocado, diced tomato, and diced onion.

I am feeling pretty good today, which I guess is typical. :)

Hi, my name is Terese and I started the Whole30 this morning! I had a delicious vegetable omelet cooked with ghee, which I discovered while reading 'It starts with food.' I had a peach and a few almonds around lunchtime, but then I wasn't hungry for lunch, so I didn't eat any. I think that was a mistake, as it's 5pm and I'm starving. For dinner, I planned a small steak with tons of veggies, which I'm fixing now. I tend to skip meals when I'm not hungry but think I'll make a menu plan for tomorrow. Day 1 - yes!

I am focusing on progress, rather than perfection, and on how far I've come, rather than on how far I have left to go.

Hi Terese!  I was like you - I only had a salad with olives and tomatoes for lunch today.  For some reason, it didn't even dawn on me until it was lunchtime that I needed some protein for it, so I skipped it.  Then while shopping at Costco for produce, I suddenly became intensely hungry.  When I got home, I grabbed a handful of cashews and some fresh juice.  That will hold me over till dinner, but lesson learned for me. Everyone says to prep and plan.  Guess I got my first taste of why they all say that. :)

Today was interesting! Made a ground turkey & broccoli frittata for breakfast which carried me successfully to lunch. Had a salad with chicken for lunch (no dressing)which was not enough! So I ended up getting the unsalted trail mix feom the vending machine but didn't eat the peanuts so still good! Dinner was curry sliders with home made pickled vegetables. I have a dull headache tonight which I am sure is due to no coffee or soda today. I did drink some kambucha tea but that's it! Overall I think a great day one!

Archived