July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

Jenna- I'm right on board with pursuing both eastern and western medicine for our health....I'm starting to think of western medicine as the excellent emergency source of care, and eastern medicine practices as a source for help with optimal daily health.

Sandy

Sandy - I've heard a few people make that distinction. Chinese medicine just made so much sense when I saw the huge role that environmental factors play, like food, sleep, exercise, stress etc. I started reading about it just when I was making some of those environmental changes and seeing the power they could have for me. IF you're interested in trying TCM or acupuncture, I believe it fits perfectly with what we're doing now.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing this alone and it's starting to get tiring. I got the daily email and read the part about potlucks and meet ups. Well I'm not even 15 miles outside NYC and would you believe this is a desert out here! My CrossFit has zero interest in this which is depressing and all of my friends here look at me like I'm crazy because I don't eat bread.

Yup I'm grumpy! Day 14 and counting....

Anne - you're not alone, you have us! You can do it!

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement :)

I was having trouble reading the book (the writing style just doesn't suit me) which meant I hadn't actually got to the part about how you'll feel when. I also now realise that I think I'm actually on day 9 (not 15 *sad face*) as I wasn't entirely compliant in the first week (only occasional rice, but still...), so feeling cranky and run down is all part and parcel. This makes me feel a lot better, provided I actually *do* start feeling better! :P 

Hubbie is also starting to get the hang of it too now. I discovered in that first week that I just can't tolerate nightshades - and most of our meals normally contain either tomatoes or chillies, which was understandably pi$$ing him off! But, he made an amazing bouillabaisse with some carrots and turnips last night, which he was dead proud of, and I greatly enjoyed :)

Thanks Jenna for the link - I've read a few articles, and although it's refiring my irritation with all the 'advice' I've been given over the years, it's soooo helpful to have another useful source to read!

Hope everyone else is doing well

x x

I'm about to look up sensitivities to coconut oil....anyone here experienced that? We've added ghee and coconut oil to out kitchen. My husband loves the coconut oil (smells great, right?), but I could swear I'm getting a stomach ache from it. I have been using a little coconut milk in my coffee with no issues, so I'm puzzled....

I'm always reluctant to jinx a good thing, but so far, the last couple of days, my snacking habits have been naturally subsiding...not really willpower, but those times of grabbing something to munch just aren't arising as much. I like it, I like it.....

Sandy

I'm about to look up sensitivities to coconut oil....anyone here experienced that? We've added ghee and coconut oil to out kitchen. My husband loves the coconut oil (smells great, right?), but I could swear I'm getting a stomach ache from it. I have been using a little coconut milk in my coffee with no issues, so I'm puzzled....

I'm always reluctant to jinx a good thing, but so far, the last couple of days, my snacking habits have been naturally subsiding...not really willpower, but those times of grabbing something to munch just aren't arising as much. I like it, I like it.....

Sandy

Sandy - I have heard that some people are sensitive to coconut oil. Some folks can have one coconut product, but not another, also. I would recommend you look at your coconut oil container and make sure you've got organic expellier pressed with no added yucky ingredients in it, just to be sure you're using the right stuff.

Congrats on overcoming the munchie monster! :)

Betsie

There's nothing like trying on clothing in my favorite boutique to convince me to recommit! We're into the second half now and it's time for me to pause and reflect.

Achieved: no longer have pain in gut, lost all cravings (still have temptations, though), collected many recipes to try, love the taste of new foods, hopeful about my health improving, confident in following program, feel supported at home and by forum and daily newsletter, doctor approval of this program along with my eating saturated fat (made hubbie feel better), clothes fit slightly looser, face looks thinner to me, sleeping better, feeling stronger with weight training.

In progress: losing weight, still physically tired, dreading eating out, needing to ride stationary bike, still lacking energy, paying closer attention to portions and balance of foods each day, especially variety of vegetables at each meal, enough water, enough fat.

I'm visualizing myself as the tortoise, making slow but steady progress. I put a pic on my refrigerator door and bedroom mirror to remind me that slow and steady is my path to success. Thanks everyone for your posts!

Happy day 16! I like the idea of reflecting on what we've learned so far (thanks tlefavor!).

Achieved: trimmed down and cravings are definitely under control. Learned that I like homemade ghee, mayo, and almond milk, and they're worth the extra time. I can drink my coffee and tea sans sweetener (though still prefer coffee with almond milk over black). I feel like I am thinking more clearly and confidence levels are up.

In Progress: I am physically tired still, but hopeful this will pass very soon. I too dread eating out, it's become very monotonous and not enjoyable usually. That said, we went to a local steakhouse tonight and I had the salmon (like usual). Only opted for streamed plain veggies instead of Caesar salad and had a sweet potato (like usual), but with no butter/brown sugar. I honesty didn't miss it, the sweet potato was plenty sweet without the extra stuff. They have amazing sweet rolls, which I didn't even crave tonight. Woohoo!

On another note, today must have been "try to kill Jenn's willpower" day at work. I got in and one coworker brought in pastries from a local bakery, plus pralines from his vacation to NOLA. Another had treats from her recent visit to the Philippines. Then it was another's birthday, so there were treats for that too. Said no thanks to all. Nobody gave me a hard time and it wasn't tough at all to skip it. :)

Two more weeks!

I love tlefavor's reference to the tortoise going slow and steady! You're so right! This way of eating and living is something that takes patience, but it slowly begins to really pay off and suddenly you find you're winning the race! (PS: tlefavor, are you in Colorado? I am, too! Tiny town called Dove Creek in SW corner).

I have mentioned that I have been Paleo for close to a year so the W30 is a more of a tune-up for me - my reflections on the halfway mark:

The main thing I had to eliminate was honey and dark chocolate beause I had been using those to feed my sugar monster, still. The first week and half was a breeze, but lately I've really wanted something sweet again! Seems like it would be the opposite. I was hoping I wouldn't miss the honey in my coffee, but I still do, so hoping by the end of the W30 I'll be over it.

It's been challenging to stay off the scale after a year of closely tracking weight loss. It worries me to that I'm going to get on the scale at the end of the W30 and have gained weight. I don't think it's a rational fear because I do know how to eat now, but it's a mind-shift for me. My clothes do feel a little looser, so I'm sure all is well. Just gotta let it go!

I have been focused on eliminating the need to snack so I've worked on making sure my meals are well balanced with the correct amount of protein, fat and carbs. Lunch was hard because I had brainwashed myself to eat small lunches (all those years of calorie restriction and fear of getting fuzzy at 3pm from the carb overload), but it really works to have a larger lunch as long as it's balanced. I virtually never snack now.

Fruit tastes AMAZING now! I have never been a huge fruit lover and really didn't even eat it as a kid at all. As and adult my fruit intake was pretty limited until I started eating real food and I learned to add more in. I know the W30 message is not to overdo fruit so I don't , but when I do have it (instead of my dark chocolate) after dinner it tastes sooooo delicious! I am sure that being summertime with all of the melons, berrries and stone fruits in season makes a big difference, but I also assume it's my tastebuds being so excited because they're not getting all the sweetness from the honey and chocolate. Yum!

Congratulations to everyone who has made it the halfway mark! Let's keep on keepin on! :) Betsie

Well, still feeling changes happening, that's for sure. I'll have to keep a watch on my reaction to coconut oil. I am allergic to cottonseed oil, and soy, so it's not hard to believe coconut may be an issue. But, to make things really unclear, my 'female cycle' (which is usually very normal)  has suddenly been thrown off. Wasn't expecting that, but have read some useful postings on 'women only' thread. I'm clearly proving that our food does affect our hormones!

Pureed cauliflower....that's one my new food discoveries so far....mashed is tasty, and what a satisfying stand in for rice! Had curried chicken over cauliflower 'rice' last night...so good. I sautéed the 'rice' in olive oil and garlic, for a little added flavor before plating it.

Sandy

Betsie_n, you have some good reflections! I, too, am really enjoying fruit and have been able to live without my dark chocolate. That was a surprise!

I looked up Dove Creek and you're too far for us to get together. :-( I live in Centennial, which is a suburb of Denver. Please let me know if you come up here as it'd be fun to share stories and ideas! Anyone else live nearby?

Betsie_n, you have some good reflections! I, too, am really enjoying fruit and have been able to live without my dark chocolate. That was a surprise!

I looked up Dove Creek and you're too far for us to get together. :-( I live in Centennial, which is a suburb of Denver. Please let me know if you come up here as it'd be fun to share stories and ideas! Anyone else live nearby?

I figured you were likely in the Denver area. Yeah, we're about 400 miles apart! Too bad - Colorado's such a huge state!

Betsie n- I know what you mean about fruit....I've noticed that before too...when I'm eating less refined sugar, the natural sweetness of fruit tastes so much better, and is so much more satisfying. I had some cherries yesterday, and felt the same way. Nice motivation to keep the refined sugars at bay from now on...Sandy

Man I had a hard time finding this topic again!  Such a newbie :-)   We are on day 17.   We are vegetarians, but we are following the regular plan.  We do eat fish and eggs.

I have a couple of questions:  

Is Flax Seed a grain or are they okay to use in a kale, fruit, almond milk smoothie?

Why are peanuts not allowed?   

I found an organic almond butter than has only dry roasted, unblanched organic almonds and sea salt in it - is that okay?

Thanks!!

Linda

Peanuts are botanically a legume, not a nut, and digestively legumes can cause some issues so we remove them for 30 days then find out how well each of us can tolerate it afterwards.

Ingredients wise that almond butter looks ok, but think about its use - for some people it is snack/dessert crack (yep, that's me!) so it would fail the is it psychologically health test for me. If you're using it just as a condiment, then maybe for you its ok!

Feeling a little tired today, but it was a busy day at work. I need to get a good night's sleep cause tomorrow is my 10-hr day and that always takes alot out of me! Will also need to pack plenty of food!

During my day at work, I thought about what I have learned so far and what I need to continue working on...this is certainly a time rich in experiences...so as others have done above in this thread...

Achieved: gave up my diet coke addiction without looking back; doing o.k. with my coffee sans sweetener/creamer (even starting to enjoy the coconut milk/oil combo); also gave up my constant chewing of gum (truth be told, I'm missing that more than the diet coke); cooking loads of veggies-in new ways with more spices...; eating a much heartier breakfast with protein and fat and finding it does keep me satisfied much longer; sleeping better

In progress:  Still tired and battling headaches (searching for other causes); healing my gut--still hurting (but improving); feeling great about focusing on my health and making such BIG changes; continuing weight loss thru changing how I eat (not counting points!)

AND...even though my hubby won't get on board, my sister and daughter are both starting their first W30 tomorrow!

Day 17 is just about done!

Anyone feeling that tiger blood kicking in yet? ;)  I'm still waiting...

I went grocery shopping last night to pick up food for camping this weekend. This is going to be my biggest challenge of the 30 days, but I'm determined to stick with it. I'm a little bummed to be going for the first time with friends and not be able to enjoy any s'mores or a drink other than water, but I'll live. :P  I picked up a lot of veggies, apples, and almond butter, but I'm still debating on the protein. I have been cruising other websites for suggestions, but my main problem is that we have only a single small cooler. Even if we sprung for a bigger one I don't know that I can fit in my car (the gas saving sedan seemed like a good idea when I bought it a few years ago until we go on a trip somewhere!). I'm looking for tuna in a pouch that does not have soy, compliant jerky or smoked salmon. It's not ideal, but at least it's only 2 days. I'll eat a good lunch before we leave Friday, and plan for a good lunch Sunday on the drive back. Hubby has the day off tomorrow so he's in charge of thinking up some good recipes!

The start of Day 18.....  So far so good; but being the end of the month the last few days have been a little tough.  Have to get more creative with the food.  Why you might ask?  I get paid once a month and I was waiting for payday -- today!  FINALLY!  :-)  I lament that I can't get my family on board with Whole30 but on the other hand, could we afford for everyone (two teenagers, two adults) to eat that way?!?  :-)

I have not yet hit the tiger blood; and I didn't the last time I did Whole30 either.  I do (and did) feel better.  It is working, just not quite there yet.  This is why I am actually doing whole60 this time.  Onward and upward.....

Jamie

Archived