July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

Made it thru a rough first day...mostly a rough start cause I couldn't sleep last night. Only got 3-4 hours of sleep and then had to go to work on my day off for a mandatory training. Stayed on plan though. Have a wicked headache tonight, so I think I'll be heading to bed soon. Hope everyone made it thru Day 1 o.k. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I almost always get a headache when I go either strict paleo or whole30. I think it's the lack of carbs for me. Or maybe the stress of all the meal planning. :)

Tomorrow I have to eat in a buffet restaurant!!!! But I will do as I always do: salad bar with the hard-boiled egg for protein, plus my own dressing that I bring. It's not the best meal, but better than nothing.

Glad to see so many people on board this week.

My biggest problem is hunger. I'm an active, nursing mom, and I get HUNGRY. When I eat Whole30, I almost always need a snack during the day. I don't "workout" per say, but I am active (dance around living room with the kids, gardening outside, stopping sometimes to do push-ups and planks and squats, etc.). So I kind of feel I need a snack or two.

Breakfast today was fried eggs over sauteed baby spinach (in "Primal Fat," which is a combo of ghee and coconut oil).

Lunch was my meatballs and a bowl of the aforementioned greek zoodle salad.

I had to have a snack, so I had some fried up pork belly and chopped tomatoes wrapped in lettuce leaves... a mock BLT.

My plan for dinner is a taco salad: taco seasoned meat on top of lettuce from my garden, tossed with some chopped avocado, diced tomato, and diced onion.

I am feeling pretty good today, which I guess is typical. :)

You might want to try adding more carbs to your meals if you're getting hungry in between. Also, maybe add some breakfast meat to your breakfast and/or some sweet potato or squash. It's hard to get used to having what seems like larger meals when we've been programmed to eat less for so long. I think because you're nursing you need more quanitity - I think there's a section in the book to account for nursing moms.

Your meals sound delish!

Yep, I almost always get a headache when I go either strict paleo or whole30. I think it's the lack of carbs for me. Or maybe the stress of all the meal planning. :)

Tomorrow I have to eat in a buffet restaurant!!!! But I will do as I always do: salad bar with the hard-boiled egg for protein, plus my own dressing that I bring. It's not the best meal, but better than nothing.

Have you read about carb flu? It is typical when you first get started, but it goes away after the first 5-7 days. Can you add some more protein - chicken, beef, shrimp - and fat to that salad at the buffet? It will help you feel fuller.

Hi everyone! I am very happy to have found this forum, I just started my Whole 30 today as well. I generally eat healthy and am active, with an eye toward paleo, though I'm nowhere near as dedicated as I should be. I just returned from a week-long road trip with the family, and I am ready to get back to where I need to be.

Breakfast: zucchini sautéed with a little olive oil, 2 eggs with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast

Lunch: salad (which I normally eat), but I added tuna, skipped the blue cheese, and topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of the raspberry vinaigrette I normally opt for.

Dinner: pork chop, steamed broccoli, sweet potato with ghee (that was good!), with a half banana and some cherries

Lots of water and unsweetened black tea to drink.

So far so good. I normally have coffee and cream/sugar in the morning or may have tea with stevia in the afternoon. I surprised myself that I drank the tea straight without missing it as much as I thought I would. No coffee at all, I think I'd rather skip it than drink it black. :P

Peacefrog and others, the Whole30 way moves your body from running on carbs/ sugar to running on more fat.   At first this is a shock to the system.  Many people are afraid of fat, and don't have enough to satisfy between means and get hungry....and then go for "safe" food like nuts, fruit, etc.  This is what I did too much of in my first Whole30, I am starting off better this time with this awareness.  For me a good amount of protien and fat for breakfast is key. 

Good luck on Day 2!

I know there won't be a July 15th thread that's active so I'm joining ya'll.  While I did my best yesterday some of my foods were not compliant as far as added ingriedients.  I really had to wait til Military payday lol!  I have to shop at 4 different places to get my compliant foods.   So I'm a day behind but this is my 2nd Whole 30.

Have you read about carb flu? It is typical when you first get started, but it goes away after the first 5-7 days. Can you add some more protein - chicken, beef, shrimp - and fat to that salad at the buffet? It will help you feel fuller.

Don't be surprised if it last a little longer, mine went away at day 11 last time around.  Hoping it's not as bad this time since it's only been 10 days since my last whole30.

Successful Day 1 is in the book for me.  Day 2 not starting as well -- I did not leave enough time to pack my lunch.  My boss is pretty nice though; so I'm just going to take a bit of a longer lunch and go home.  I did stock my office w/ an emergency supply of tuna (I found on that has:  tuna, water and salt only and it says "no draining needed", with a self opening top.,  YAY!!) and some of those baby food things in the squishy/squeeze packs.  I don't want to break into emergency mode on day two though.  :-)

Good luck today everyone!

Jamie

I could, maybe, if I brought my own. This is one of those super-cheap "homestyle/steak" buffet places. They're a dime a dozen around here. My dad takes me and the kids out once a week... it's his "treat" to us. Most of the food is fried. And everything that isn't breaded and fried is swimming in some type of oil or margarine. I am pretty sure even the roasted chicken there has been brushed with vegetable oil first. And God only knows what is in the "ground meat" they use for taco meat. The pot roast has a thick gravy, probably corn starch.

The food is probably the lowest quality available to be fit for human consumption. It makes me sick to eat there even when I am eating SAD, but I hate to disappoint my dad.

You might want to try adding more carbs to your meals if you're getting hungry in between. Also, maybe add some breakfast meat to your breakfast and/or some sweet potato or squash. It's hard to get used to having what seems like larger meals when we've been programmed to eat less for so long. I think because you're nursing you need more quanitity - I think there's a section in the book to account for nursing moms.

Your meals sound delish!

I can't stand sweet potato, but I do like roasted carrots, so maybe I'll add some of those in. You're right about being programmed to eat less. That's actually the thing I probably wrestle with the most on Whole30. I mean... I've spent my whole life as a female believing that "eat less" is the key to being thinner and healthier. I don't have a problem eating fat anymore--bring it on!--but I still have a mindset that smaller portions = better/

My husband and I started yesterday as well. I had been eyeing the Whole 30 for a while now, but didn't feel the motivation enough to actually start until now. I'm so excited for this journey. We went from working out 6 days a week to 0 days this year. Although we haven't started a workout routine, i'm excited to have the nutrition part planned out. Can't wait to see the emotional and physical changes this program will bring out in us. :wub:

Hi everyone! I hope day 2 is going well for everyone.  :D  I started Paleo about 10 months ago, but my real journey started a year ago, yesterday, which is why I chose that date to begin my W30. I have lost 45lbs to date, but more importantly, I regained myself and my health.

I blogged about my first year to help others see that taking small steps and making healthy choices can really work and pay off. I will blog about my W30 results as well.

If you're interested in my story: http://cookingripe.com/a-year-of-relearning-how-to-eat-how-i-lost-45-lbs-eating-real-food/

Betsie

How have the first 2 days gone?? I've just done my first day and it has gone well! Won't have time to clear out my cupboards yet so some serious temptations still hanging around but have managed to avoid them so far! Any drink suggestions welcomed   :)

Hi Corrine - day 2 is going well for me, I have the cravings for carbs/ sugar from time to time but I am not truly hungry so I am doing something else.  As far as drinks I love cucumbers in my water, also adding some apple cider vinegar to my water is another favorite.  You can also try brewing herbal tea and drinking it hot or cold.  You can make iced coffee with coconut milk as well, or homemade almond milk.

Best of luck!

Amy

How have the first 2 days gone?? I've just done my first day and it has gone well! Won't have time to clear out my cupboards yet so some serious temptations still hanging around but have managed to avoid them so far! Any drink suggestions welcomed   :)

Drink suggestions - green tea (I used to hate tea, but have become a big fan), coconut water (read ingredients so you don't get extra junk) or just water with lemon/lime/cucumber, or whatever fruit you have. I like to use the quart mason jars and fill with water and throw in whatever fruit I have (especially good for using it up before it goes bad) and let sit overnight. More interesting than plain water.

:)

Drink suggestions - green tea (I used to hate tea, but have become a big fan), coconut water (read ingredients so you don't get extra junk) or just water with lemon/lime/cucumber, or whatever fruit you have. I like to use the quart mason jars and fill with water and throw in whatever fruit I have (especially good for using it up before it goes bad) and let sit overnight. More interesting than plain water.

:)

Will give these a try thanks! Sugary drinks are my biggest foe!

Great second day! Left over frittata for breakfast. Salad with emergency protein for lunch. Dinner was roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, brocolli. A far as drinks, I am really liking kambucha. Since its fizzy it is a good substitute for soda!

Great second day! Left over frittata for breakfast. Salad with emergency protein for lunch. Dinner was roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, brocolli. A far as drinks, I am really liking kambucha. Since its fizzy it is a good substitute for soda!

Good morning!  I am starting my second Whole30 (well really Whole60) today.  My name is Jamie.  I'm married to a wonderful guy and have two older teenagers.  No one else in my house is interested in Whole30.  Last time I did this (not long ago), I made two meals all the time so they would not have to do it.  This time, they can eat what I eat.  :D  

I was not fully satisfied with my results last time -- actually was downright disappointed.  Lost 4 pounds and seemingly no size.  After doing the Whole30 once though, and then reflecting on it some -- and going totally off plan and on a vacation --  I have come to the conclusion or realization that I will be whatever size I am.  So be it.  BUT -- I can FEEL much better than I do now.  So I'm doing a Whole60 to give more time to undo 43 years of bad eating and a 15 year stint of moderate to heavy drinking (which I did stop about 6 years ago).  I started today.

Breakfast was 3 eggs with onions, yellow squash, sweet potato and green beans.  I cooked the veggies in ghee first.  Salt and pepper.

From my past experience with Whole30, one of the biggest keys to staying on plan is to always be prepared.  Spend time on a day off chopping, cooking etc.  The time it is most difficult to stick with it is when you are already starving and nothing is prepped.  And keep a stash of whole30 compliant items at work or in car or purse or whatever -- so its handy in case your schedule gets derailed for some unknown reason.

Here's to more healthy living and feeling awesome!

Jamie

I will be doing most likely a Whole90 ++ depending on my Leakey Gut. So I am right there with you. After this 30 I will jump on a new feed. I didn't do that the last time and 4 months later I am now getting back on. 

Yay so I got through day 1. Day 2 has been harder in that the fact that I am really not feeling well. I am very tired and nauseous. Thank god I don’t have a headache like I have before. Yesterday I was so tired I was in bed by 7:30 and fell asleep by 8:30 unfortunately I didn't sleep well, which may be part of why I am so tired today.

I have been tempted to cheat today. I had some stressful situations come up and the first thought was let’s go have Burger King. Yes I am a Fast Food Junky. I took a moment and thought about my goals and then went and did something productive.

This is what I am planning on eating today

Turkey Sausage w/ 1 sauteed yellow squash & basil, strawberries

Applegate turkey, celery,  kimchi

Turkey Lettuce cups, C blueberries

Ground lamb,  celery,  carrot,  pickle,  olives

Turkey soup with veggies & salad with dressings: light extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper.

Just an FYI my Doctor wants me to eat more meals so that is why I am. Just in case anyone wonders

Hi everyone! I hope day 2 is going well for everyone.  :D  I started Paleo about 10 months ago, but my real journey started a year ago, yesterday, which is why I chose that date to begin my W30. I have lost 45lbs to date, but more importantly, I regained myself and my health.

I blogged about my first year to help others see that taking small steps and making healthy choices can really work and pay off. I will blog about my W30 results as well.

If you're interested in my story: http://cookingripe.com/a-year-of-relearning-how-to-eat-how-i-lost-45-lbs-eating-real-food/

Betsie

WOW! That is an incredible change you have made. Way to go!!

As far as drinks, my go-to is unsweetened black tea. I like it both hot and cold, so it works for me. But it's an acquired taste. Most people prefer it lightly sweetened, at least.

I have a garden out back with lettuce growing, and it's so nice to just run out and pick some when I want a salad or something to wrap some meat in.

Today was my first success with homemade mayo! I've tried it in the past and failed, but this time it miraculously worked. Not sure what I did different, but I am really super glad to be able to make compliant deviled eggs. I don't always feel like eating a hot meal--especially when it's hot outside--so some deviled eggs and carrot sticks and pickles make for a yummy breakfast (yeah, I eat weird like that lol).

Betsie

Very cool. I will enjoy reading it.

Archived