July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

As far as drinks, my go-to is unsweetened black tea. I like it both hot and cold, so it works for me. But it's an acquired taste. Most people prefer it lightly sweetened, at least.

I have a garden out back with lettuce growing, and it's so nice to just run out and pick some when I want a salad or something to wrap some meat in.

Today was my first success with homemade mayo! I've tried it in the past and failed, but this time it miraculously worked. Not sure what I did different, but I am really super glad to be able to make compliant deviled eggs. I don't always feel like eating a hot meal--especially when it's hot outside--so some deviled eggs and carrot sticks and pickles make for a yummy breakfast (yeah, I eat weird like that lol).

Here are a couple of tips on compliant mayo:

use a hand/immerision blender.  i've never had it fail this way.  ingredients can be cold, it always works.

If using a regular blender or a food processor then make sure ALL ingredients  are at room temp even the egg.

good luck!  :-)

Jamie

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a question for everyone -- how "carby" is spaghetti squash?  One squash makes a lot and I tend to cook it and then use it in several meals in a row.  Its kind of a go-to for me in place of a "traditional starch" such as rice or potatoes or pasta.  Does anyone think this would be too many carbs and thus feeding the sugar dragon?

Last time around I just made sure my whole30 was full of compliant foods; but I didn't pay much attention to content.  This time I am trying to really pay attention to more of a balance of veggies.

Thanks,

Jamie

Great second day! Left over frittata for breakfast. Salad with emergency protein for lunch. Dinner was roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, brocolli. A far as drinks, I am really liking kambucha. Since its fizzy it is a good substitute for soda!

Where do you find kambucha?  

Glad to hear some of you have made mayo! I went grocery shopping tonight for avocado oil and compliant dijon mustard so I can do it too. I'll probably make it tomorrow- but found a good recipe on Nom Nom Paleo.

Today has been okay so far. I haven't had much of the day 2 headache so far, but have felt a little foggy all day, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that's normal for some?

On a side note, when I went to the store tonight, several of their normal baked good displays were missing. I get to the produce aisle and find them all there! So as I'm stocking up on all the healthy veggies and berries, and I have pies and cupcakes staring at me. I have no clue why they moved the display there- other than to torture me. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone had a great day 2!

I had a good second day.  Better than the first day.  Probably because I was more prepared!

Anyway, not sure if y'all are interested, but there's a really cool app I found.  Its called two grand.  Its like a food diary.  You take pictures of your meals and that's it!  Super easy way to keep track of what you eat. Not everyone is whole 30, but a lot of people are paleo on there. And the nice thing is if you search under #whole30 or #iamwhole30 (these are the ones I have found so far), you can see and get ideas of what other people are eating.  I love seeing the pictures!  

Anyway, just thought I would share :-)

The Two Grand app sounds good, I am going to look into it!

Kombucha can be purchased at WF and Safeway in my area, it is not cheap, about $3-$3.50 per bottle.

Someone mentioned maying mayo with avocado oil,....that would be pricey!  Use light tasting olive oil, it is flavorless and much cheaper, makes good mayo.

Heres to a great day 3!

Hi everyone!

I started on the 14th of July with my second Whole30.  I did my first one in January.  Since then I've eaten 70% paleo/primal, but do make a lot of almond flour treats for my boys--that I end up eating a lot of too.  I just finished nursing in May and gained almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks, so I'm looking to clean up my diet and maybe lose a few pounds.  Last time my skin started looking really good by the last week, but now it's back to dull and prone to breakouts.  

My only issue last time was that I got terrible heartburn about halfway through.  I think it was the balsamic vinegar I was using for dressings, so this time around I'm going to avoid that.  I haven't really done any prep yet, since I decided to jump on board at the spur of the moment this weekend, but I feel pretty good about what I'm doing.  I'm hoping it will be a little easier and cheaper to have fresh produce now compared to January!  

Good luck everyone!

Would it be okay if I just whined for a minute? :P  I'm only on day 5 here and I know I'm still detoxing but I feel like CRAP!  My guts are all gassy and bloaty and I just want a nap and/or a coke.  I'm totally hanging in there and I definitely know that this is what I need to be doing but I just want to throw a fit about it for a minute.  I didn't get my breakfast together last night so when I rolled out of bed this morning with 10 minutes to get out the door (cause I'm freakin EXHAUSTED!), all I had time to grab was an apple with some sunbutter.  I was starving by noon but now my lunch (pork roast, steamed broccoli, and cherry tomatoes) is making my tummy cranky. :(

Thanks for listening to my rant.  Just going through some growing pains over here

Yesterday went ok. I didn’t cheat but I ate more fruit than I should have had and way too many olives. I gave into my salty sweet cravings. I really wanted nuts too. I was a little headachy in the evening and very tired all day. Of course at night I had more energy and waited until 9 to go to bed. The problem is I am waking up really early instead of staying asleep until 6. I did sleep better last night though. I am wondering if all of the hot flashes are also because I am in withdrawal for sugar aside from being pre-metatarsal. I hope so I can’t afford to go on vitamins for that.

I got very depressed yesterday and weepy. I am sure that it is because I am coming off the sugar addiction. I am hoping today will be better.

Today I am feeling better and not as tired. My brain is really foggy still and my memory is bad too.

Food for today should be:

4 Turkey bacon & 1 Cup of green beans, ½ grapefruit

Salmon & Mixed greens, cucumber & kalamata olives, dressings: light extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper, & basil. La Coix seltzer water for beverage

Apple & pickle

Shredded chicken & turkey w/ veggies (celery, cucumber, carrot, & zucchini) guacamole dip

Would it be okay if I just whined for a minute? :P  I'm only on day 5 here and I know I'm still detoxing but I feel like CRAP!  My guts are all gassy and bloaty and I just want a nap and/or a coke.  I'm totally hanging in there and I definitely know that this is what I need to be doing but I just want to throw a fit about it for a minute.  I didn't get my breakfast together last night so when I rolled out of bed this morning with 10 minutes to get out the door (cause I'm freakin EXHAUSTED!), all I had time to grab was an apple with some sunbutter.  I was starving by noon but now my lunch (pork roast, steamed broccoli, and cherry tomatoes) is making my tummy cranky. :(

Thanks for listening to my rant.  Just going through some growing pains over here

Your doing great and hang in there. It took me 2 weeks to really start feeling better the first time through. I make myself some emergency food for times just like these. I precook chicken, turkey, ground beef, turkey, and lamb. I portion out and put bulk in the freezer. Of course if you do what I did today it doesn't help. Left the house without some of my food.  :o Glad your on board with us

Here is a question for everyone -- how "carby" is spaghetti squash?  One squash makes a lot and I tend to cook it and then use it in several meals in a row.  Its kind of a go-to for me in place of a "traditional starch" such as rice or potatoes or pasta.  Does anyone think this would be too many carbs and thus feeding the sugar dragon?

Last time around I just made sure my whole30 was full of compliant foods; but I didn't pay much attention to content.  This time I am trying to really pay attention to more of a balance of veggies.

Thanks,

Jamie

It is not too bad, not like sweet potatoes & yams. I did the same thing the first time I did it. This time I am looking at my cravings and what I am eating. If I am craving the carby veggies a lot then I will do more non-starchy ones. I tend to feed my sugar dragon too much with compliant food. If you feel you may be doing that then I would recommend cutting back on them for a while. I know that I am watching the amount of fruit, carby veggies, olives, and pickles that I eat because I love the sweet & salty!

I had a good second day.  Better than the first day.  Probably because I was more prepared!

Anyway, not sure if y'all are interested, but there's a really cool app I found.  Its called two grand.  Its like a food diary.  You take pictures of your meals and that's it!  Super easy way to keep track of what you eat. Not everyone is whole 30, but a lot of people are paleo on there. And the nice thing is if you search under #whole30 or #iamwhole30 (these are the ones I have found so far), you can see and get ideas of what other people are eating.  I love seeing the pictures!  

Anyway, just thought I would share :-)

Thanks great idea

Having a hard time falling asleep, even though my caffeine intake is greatly reduced! Had Coffee in the morning and a few sips of tea in the afternoon. Lack of sleep makes my headache worse....grrrrrr..........

Me too. I went caffeine free myself. I am sure you probably are drinking enough water but maybe increase is to help flush out the toxins might help. Make sure it isn't too late in the evening so you don't end up like me on day 1. Up 4 times to go to the bathroom :P

Yesterday went ok. I didn’t cheat but I ate more fruit than I should have had and way too many olives. I gave into my salty sweet cravings. I really wanted nuts too. I was a little headachy in the evening and very tired all day. Of course at night I had more energy and waited until 9 to go to bed. The problem is I am waking up really early instead of staying asleep until 6. I did sleep better last night though. I am wondering if all of the hot flashes are also because I am in withdrawal for sugar aside from being pre-metatarsal. I hope so I can’t afford to go on vitamins for that.

I got very depressed yesterday and weepy. I am sure that it is because I am coming off the sugar addiction. I am hoping today will be better.

Today I am feeling better and not as tired. My brain is really foggy still and my memory is bad too.

Food for today should be:

4 Turkey bacon & 1 Cup of green beans, ½ grapefruit

Salmon & Mixed greens, cucumber & kalamata olives, dressings: light extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper, & basil. La Coix seltzer water for beverage

Apple & pickle

Shredded chicken & turkey w/ veggies (celery, cucumber, carrot, & zucchini) guacamole dip

I'm sure you're feeling the effects of the carb and sugar withdrawls, but keep the faith - it does get better!  I wonder if you need a little more good carb and good fat. If you're hungry, your body will wake you up to tell you to get food. Personally, I think it's ok to eat a little more fruit and nuts and olives at the beginning while you transition - it might help you balance a little more, too. Those are all real food which is better than processed food you might have eaten otherwise, so don't beat yourself up.

I hope today is better! :)

It gets better! You just have to live through the carb flu for a few days. Like someone else mentioned, having emergency food available is the key to life! Hard boiled eggs, an avocado and even a bag of nuts are other easy grab/go solution. Banannas help my stomach when I get to that overhungry state. Make sure you're getting enough protein, fat and good carbs when you do plan your meals - it will help your energy levels. Drink tons of fluids, too, to help the bloat (water with lemon also helps). Hang in!

Apple and sunbutter is not the worst thing you could have had, but it is definitely not as satisfying as other options.  I know that when breakfast is small it sets me up for big hunger later in the day.  Especially if I exercise!  Someone was asking about carbs and for me they are key on the days I run...I must have a sweet potato or banana (with my meal) within a few hours...otherwise I go nutty!

Keep up the good work....the good feelings will be here before you know it!!!

i started July 14! i'm basically doing the Clothes Make the Girl meal plan verbatim, and filling in with raw veggies, hardboiled eggs, some fruit, and salads. i think i eat plenty at mealtime but i feel like i'm constantly hungry! hoping that will go away after a couple more days!

i started July 14! i'm basically doing the Clothes Make the Girl meal plan verbatim, and filling in with raw veggies, hardboiled eggs, some fruit, and salads. i think i eat plenty at mealtime but i feel like i'm constantly hungry! hoping that will go away after a couple more days!

When I first changed to Paleo I did have to adjust my portion sizes, which had been way too big before, so I was hungry a lot while my system got used to not needeing to feel so full to know I wasn't hungry anymore.  That said, be sure you're eating enough. If you've been accustomed to old-fashioned dieting (low fat/low cal) you may be skimping on your quantity out of "diet" habit. Be sure you get enough fat, protein, carbs to actually fill you up to a "normal" comfort level. I have had to push myself to have more for lunch so I don't get to an over-hungry place before dinner. It's weird at first, but it really does work. Keep up the good work!

When I first changed to Paleo I did have to adjust my portion sizes, which had been way too big before, so I was hungry a lot while my system got used to not needeing to feel so full to know I wasn't hungry anymore.  That said, be sure you're eating enough. If you've been accustomed to old-fashioned dieting (low fat/low cal) you may be skimping on your quantity out of "diet" habit. Be sure you get enough fat, protein, carbs to actually fill you up to a "normal" comfort level. I have had to push myself to have more for lunch so I don't get to an over-hungry place before dinner. It's weird at first, but it really does work. Keep up the good work!

i think i'm not consuming enough fat at mealtime! i'm pretty on the go with work and stuff so sometimes it's easy to just toss meat and veggies into a bowl, heat it up, and forget about the fat. i usually add a bit of mayo or sauce, but i'm thinking it's not enough according to the meal template. good thing i ADORE avocados. i could eat just half an avocado with nothing on it to get some quality fat.  :D

Hang in there! This is my first Whole30, but have done similar low carb programs before and the first time was TOUGH! You will eventually reap the benefits!

i think i'm not consuming enough fat at mealtime! i'm pretty on the go with work and stuff so sometimes it's easy to just toss meat and veggies into a bowl, heat it up, and forget about the fat. i usually add a bit of mayo or sauce, but i'm thinking it's not enough according to the meal template. good thing i ADORE avocados. i could eat just half an avocado with nothing on it to get some quality fat.  :D

Avocados are amazing, right?

BTW, thank you for mentioning the Clothes Make the Girl meal plans - I hadn't seen those before, but looked them up and I think they're really handy. THANKS! ;)  For others who may be interested, they're on this link: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/recipes-index/

BTW if anyone has recipes for spices let me know. Most of the combinations or rubs I can't do since I can't have any peppers/night shades, citrus, garlic, or onions. So I am trying to make my own. I have one for Italian which has been great. Any help would be great. 

Archived