July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

There's been a lot of reminders on this thread to get enough to eat and to get enough fat - these are counter to what we've been taught previously when we're 'watching our weight' so it's hard to accept that it's ok to eat a little more quantity and to include good fat. If you're really starving or really dragging, you probably need more fats (or just more of everything). Remember, a calorie is not a calorie, so don't worry about how many as much as you worry about what they are from. A couple of good 'food for thought' articles: 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/9-signs-you-need-to-eat-more-fat/#axzz37k3p0tUn

http://time.com/2988142/you-asked-are-all-calories-created-equal/

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to make zoodles - what device should I get?  I don't want something too big if possible, but I also don't want to waste my money or vegetables on a cheapo device. 

TIA!

There are a lot of different spiralizers on the market. Go to Amazon and read reviews to see if there's a good one for decent price - I have heard there are, but I haven't bought one yet. For a cheap alternative to see if you like the zoodles, or if you don't want a big thingy in your kitchen, before investing, you can use a julienne peeler that you can get for under $10.I use it all the time for carrots and cucumbers, etc. on my cold salads, too.

Hi everyone! I haven't been in the forums much over the last year since doing my first Whole30, but I'm doing a second one so I thought I'd better drop back in! I'm Jenna, I'm Australian and I started on Monday. I've been eating my own version of Whole30ish while riding my own bike for the last 11 months and was pulled back to do another by a friend who hasn't done it before. That, and you may have seen my story over on the Whole30 blog recently - http://whole30.com/2014/07/von-willebrands-disease/ :) A more serious motivation is that I've been trying out butter, so removing it again for 30 days will help me assess my casein sensitivity levels (yoghurt or milk from any milk-able animal are no goes). 

I write  a blog, and the link is in my signature so take a look! 

I had a strange day. I didn't feel like eating anything! I made myself eat but could only get 2 small meals in. I did make 90 meatballs from my recipe and froze them. Hooray - something to have when tired! I've also been exhausted - can barely get out of bed. I'm still drinking lots of water and green tea. Must be my body adjusting . . . Anyone else not hungry?

Happy day 4 everyone!

I made Nom Nom Paleo's prosciutto spinach frittatas last night and heated up 2 this morning for breakfast- very tasty! Still eggs, but something a little different than my normal scramble. Hubby even liked them, except the prosciutto (!), which he peeled off and fed to the dog (!!!). I made turkey burgers for dinner tonight with a lettuce wrap and 1/2 an avocado. Had compliant Dijon mustard and homemade mayo that I made tonight. I was so worried about it breaking and wasting that dang avocado oil (I'll try the light olive oil next time- thanks for the suggestion!), but it came together easily. I was laughing when I was about to take the first bite. It was all so green- lettuce, avocado and green-ish mayo. But tasty.

Headaches seem to have gone away and my mood has been okay thankfully. My back is really sore though, the muscles started feeling very tight last night and it hasn't eased up since. Feeling a little extra tired too. I will be very thankful when that morning comes that I jump out of bed with tiger blood! :lol:

Jenna, your story is amazing. I'm so happy to hear that you've had so much success managing VWD through diet. It's amazing the impact that a good diet can have, even on something incurable. Congratulations on your success so far, glad to have you join our group for another round!

Jenn

Thanks Jenn! It does astound me too! I'm speaking at an ancestral health conference in a few weeks about my experience, and I hope it inspires people (while keeping my own water works away!). I'm happy to be in for the ride for a second time. My timeline experience has been a bit all over the place - while I've had a dose of Kill All Things already (its Day 5 here!), I've also had the insane food dreams start too!

I concur that the meal plans from The Clothes make the Girl have been great & clearly explained. Today will make my week 2 shopping list and prep for next week! I have overcome A LOT of temptations this week - company in town we took out to a couple of meals, 2 church events at my house with snacks/drinks. My biggest temptation is red wine in the evenings. My hubby out of town next week so it will be interesting to see if I do better or worse when its just me. Thought I'd share I am really enjoying the quick breakfast of my made ahead ground beef (or pork) and diced apple, with some spices thrown in. Have a great week-end everyone!

Welcome Jenna!  Glad to have you and your wisdom aboard!!

Has anyone had any problems with being dizzy/lightheaded?  I have the past two days, every single time I stand up.  Its becoming frustrating.  I'm eating tons more of iron-rich foods than I did before...Any ideas?

I'm not a medical professional at all so this is just my personal experience -- but how is your salt intake?  I have blood pressure that borders on low -- even when I eat crappy and even when I am overweight (like now...).  First time I did Whole30 I noticed I had to pay attention to adding some salt to my meals to help my blood pressure stay up.  Since you aren't eating processed foods, your salt intake should be way less.  Try adding some salt (not overboard though) -- also stay hydrated.

Good luck!

Jamie

day 5 - almost one week down! The first week I think is the hardest when you body is going through so much change.  Yesterday I felt pretty bad and like the support emails say "I was not eating that bad before, how could these changes affect me this much?" but it totally does - not consuming sugary carbs every few hours is a huge adjustment.

I like the quick breakfast gypsy had....did you add in any fat?  avocado or cocount milk?

day 5 - almost one week down! The first week I think is the hardest when you body is going through so much change.  Yesterday I felt pretty bad and like the support emails say "I was not eating that bad before, how could these changes affect me this much?" but it totally does - not consuming sugary carbs every few hours is a huge adjustment.

I like the quick breakfast gypsy had....did you add in any fat?  avocado or cocount milk?

When I made the meat originally, I used coconut oil. That is usually it, although from time to time I add an avacado with it. (I'm sitll learning this forum - hope this posts correctly & in the correct place!).

I want to make zoodles - what device should I get?  I don't want something too big if possible, but I also don't want to waste my money or vegetables on a cheapo device. 

TIA!

I have a GEFU. It fits in my kitchen drawer and works great. Love it.

Day 5 and some sound sleep was had last night. Woohoo! I can't imagine what was different last night for my allergies, but I'll take it!

The day 5 email we received was just perfect for heading into the weekend. My husband and I talked last night about the social situations we have coming up; my birthday,a trip to Boston to visit friends, family coming here for a weekend....I think as long as we plan, and think about it ahead of time, we might be just fine. Time will tell. I'm happy we have this weekend on our own to experiment with a few things...

Even when I'm not hungry, I've been sticking to the 3 meal a day plan...since we're trying to reset the body by eliminating such specific things right now, it seems like the smartest thing to do. I'm just so glad my morning cup of coffee, now with coconut milk is not off the list! (This morning I added cinnamon and little pinch of cayenne pepper).

Hi everyone! I haven't been in the forums much over the last year since doing my first Whole30, but I'm doing a second one so I thought I'd better drop back in! I'm Jenna, I'm Australian and I started on Monday. I've been eating my own version of Whole30ish while riding my own bike for the last 11 months and was pulled back to do another by a friend who hasn't done it before. That, and you may have seen my story over on the Whole30 blog recently - http://whole30.com/2014/07/von-willebrands-disease/ :) A more serious motivation is that I've been trying out butter, so removing it again for 30 days will help me assess my casein sensitivity levels (yoghurt or milk from any milk-able animal are no goes). 

Welcome Jenna! Your story is very inspiring!

Incredible. 

Yay for completing day 4. I think I am doing better today. I didn’t give into my cravings to cheat yesterday. Big win for me. Luckily I didn’t have huge cravings that I have had before. Knock on wood. Talk about waste of time thinking or obsessing about food you can’t eat. I found that the suggestions on day 4 of the news letter were very helpful to keeping me on course. No weird dreams though yet.

I am still very tired and foggy brained. I worked late last night so didn’t get into bed until 10. The funny thing is that I am exhausted all day and then at night I seem to wake up. Now this wouldn’t be a problem except that I wake up at 5 am and rarely stay asleep until 6 or 7. I am going to up my protein portions and see where I can increase my fats since I can’t have any nuts. So bummed about that.

Today I am making some carrot soup and then ground turkey with veggies for my mid week prep. I was hoping to make it earlier I just didn’t have the time.

Today’s food should be:

Backed dill cod with asparagus

Leftover turkey lettuce cups with carrot soup

Mix greens with chicken and oil & vinegar

Steak with artichoke and sauerkraut

Whole Amy, I also am looking at Spiralizers and found one that looks sturdy and easy to use at Williams Sonoma for $39. I also found an interesting website inspiralized.com that has recipes and a food blog. Going shopping again!

Ha! I love all the discussion about white potaotes. It was one of the things I zeroed in on the shopping list right away. My hubby thought it was very amusing, since I love potatoes in any form! I'm going to stick to leaving them out for my whole 30 because of this fact....reset my body/habits. But ideally, if consciously prepared, down the rode I can see how they might be incorporated back (in a healthy way).

I concur that the meal plans from The Clothes make the Girl have been great & clearly explained. Today will make my week 2 shopping list and prep for next week! I have overcome A LOT of temptations this week - company in town we took out to a couple of meals, 2 church events at my house with snacks/drinks. My biggest temptation is red wine in the evenings. My hubby out of town next week so it will be interesting to see if I do better or worse when its just me. Thought I'd share I am really enjoying the quick breakfast of my made ahead ground beef (or pork) and diced apple, with some spices thrown in. Have a great week-end everyone!

Congratulations on staying strong!!

Whole Amy, I also am looking at Spiralizers and found one that looks sturdy and easy to use at Williams Sonoma for $39. I also found an interesting website inspiralized.com that has recipes and a food blog. Going shopping again!

I just realized that I have a restaurant grade one that I got years ago from a chef at a restaurant I used to work at. I will have to break it out and start usinging. Thanks all for jogging my memory!

Ha! I love all the discussion about white potaotes. It was one of the things I zeroed in on the shopping list right away. My hubby thought it was very amusing, since I love potatoes in any form! I'm going to stick to leaving them out for my whole 30 because of this fact....reset my body/habits. But ideally, if consciously prepared, down the rode I can see how they might be incorporated back (in a healthy way).

I'm with you on not having them during my whole30; I may incorporate them though after that in a careful and modest way.  I probably should not load up on them right now.  :-)  Ruin all the work I am trying to do on fixing my eating problems.

Help I just got to work and there is a soft serve ice cream truck. Then when I get into my employers home there are freshly baked cookies of 4 different kinds and banana bread. Oh No raw cookie dough. Save me from myself!!! I am heating my turkey veggie soup right now and locking myself in the office. (Ironically right next to the kitchen)

Archived