July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

So I need to vent because y'all will understand. So I am at the fair and craving fair food, and knowing the diet I am on, I got teased by someone in my group almost the entire time. "Want some fries? Want some lemonade? Wine? Etc etc. so I stick with my water, grapes and nuts. Then we go out to eat - at a pasta place!! The only thing I could eat was salad, hold the cheese, hold the dressing. Got it and found out the walnuts were candied, so I basically had lettuce and sliced apples while everyone was forging on pasta and bread and sliced mozzarella. Now I am starving as we drive home and I'm pretty frustrated. I felt like I was given no consideration at all. Okay I'm done. Just needed to vent.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped drinking coffee 3 days ago since I am a creamer junkie! Started eating paleo 3 days ago but still had wine so I guess today is my day 1. My husband made paleo pork chops and they were hard to get down....but I'm not too hungry so that helps. I have been snacking on spoonfuls of almond butter and have a feeling that will sabotage my efforts-but it's so yummy! I need sweet ok snack-- or maybe more willpower. So glad to find this forum cuz I'll need all the help I can get!

Hi Jennifer!

I'm careful with my BP. 100/60 is about my normal, though I went to donate blood today and it was 90ish/50ish. I'm careful when I exercise in hot weather, and keep some kind of electrolyte with me. The few times I've blacked out it's generally been while exercising in the heat. Luckily it comes on slowly, I can see my vision start to fade, so I will just sit or lie down until it passes. It happens very infrequently though, so I'm fortunate. :)  A few years ago I was turned away from donating blood because they said my BP was too low (like 60/40 range). I still think their cuff was broken, but they wouldn't retest me. That got me to make an appointment with my doctor who gave me a thorough checkup, ran blood work and said I was fine (100/60 normal for me). He did say for any strenuous activity, weight lifting in particular, to have electrolytes available, so I try to stick with that advice. And I try to work out early in the morning when it's still nice and cool out!

Woohoo, day 6 is in the books!

Jennifer- I totally understand your frustrations, vent away! It's though, I know this diet is crazy to the "normal" people (ha!), so I can't expect miracles. But the teasing is a bit over the top, and maybe they could have put a little more effort into finding something that would work better for you. We're heading to the CA state fair next weekend, which I'm already dreading because of the food.

Penelope- Welcome and hang in there! I'm also a creamer junkie with my coffee. I cut it out completely this week, but tried my first cup of black coffee this week and got it down okay. You can do this! Have you read "It Starts With Food"? If you find you're snacking between meals, try to increase your healthy fat intake, it really works well to do away with the snack cravings between meals and tide you over until the next meal.

I'm finding weekends are going to be my biggest challenge. I had a good breakfast at home (eggs with flank steak, zucchini, and avocado) and a great lunch (tilapia filet, wilted greens and sauce made with fresh lemon juice, chopped garlic and ghee). We headed out for a bit- hubby went to a goodbye party for a buddy of his, and dropped the kiddos and me off at the mall. By 6ish I was ready to eat- and I'm surrounded with frozen yogurt, starbucks, garlic fries, cream puffs, Popcornopolis... and just about every other amazing no-no food I can think of while waiting another hour for him to get back to the mall. I did behave, but it was a huge test of willpower today. I definitely miss the structure of the work week. We hit a local place for dinner. Thankfully they had a nice site where I could specify allergens and it told me what I could have- which amounted to turkey breast and steamed veggies and water. It was good- but by the time we made the 1 hour trek home I'm hungry again (no much fat in that meal!). I had a little fruit... but will have a much better breakfast in the morning. And hit the grocery store early!

I donated blood this morning on their apheresis machine, which is wiping me out a bit too. Mental note, bring my own food post blood-draw. I avoided all the juice, cookies and candy that were there and just hung out a little extra time to make sure I was okay and drank plenty of water. I was worried they were going to holler at me for not having a pack of Oreos, but nobody said anything. I just made sure to eat as soon as I got home. :)

On to day 7, keep up the great work everyone!

I'm so impressed with all of you! Your first week of your first Whole 30 can be really really tough, so WELL DONE for sticking to it (even with a few cases of cranky face! Don't worry, I've had that too, and its reminded me I need to get back into my meditation routine).

With flour for sauce thickening or meatball/burger binding, that is an acceptable use, but obviously no wheat flour (almond or coconut are best, but be aware with coconut you'll need extra 'liquid' - eggs etc).http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I've had a case of the grumpy face the last few days too, just trying to observe instead of buy into it and take it easy on myself. Luckily, its Sunday night which means roast chicken time! Woohoo! Its my favourite meal ever, and even better than that, its winter so its extra yummy. Veggies and garlic from my local farmers market this morning, and the chickens are from a local free range, antibiotic free grower. 

I got back to my local barre studio yesterday morning for a class, and the instructor whipped out a double set of pushups. I kinda breezed through them and loved it! I'm even loving my sore muscles today. 

Enjoy your weekends!

So I need to vent because y'all will understand. So I am at the fair and craving fair food, and knowing the diet I am on, I got teased by someone in my group almost the entire time. "Want some fries? Want some lemonade? Wine? Etc etc. so I stick with my water, grapes and nuts. Then we go out to eat - at a pasta place!! The only thing I could eat was salad, hold the cheese, hold the dressing. Got it and found out the walnuts were candied, so I basically had lettuce and sliced apples while everyone was forging on pasta and bread and sliced mozzarella. Now I am starving as we drive home and I'm pretty frustrated. I felt like I was given no consideration at all. Okay I'm done. Just needed to vent.

Great job staying with the program and not giving in.  I seriously think people are just clueless.  Hopefully they can some day realize how insensitive that was.  My daughter (18) last night made both no bake cookies AND peanut butter cookies.  What the heck?!?  I finally just went to bed to avoid them.  

That guy sounds like a jerk - I probably would have shut him down with a smart ass remark, but then that never helps either!

You might want to order some Chomps snack sticks to have around as emergency protein. My husband keeps them at work, and they came in handy when everyone went out for Chinese and he was stuck eating steamed veggies!

I've been reading all the posts but haven't made many myself. I'm pretty grumpy today - went to my cousin's wedding last night and stuck to the program as closely as possible (for example, a grain or two of rice might have slipped passed me when I was cutting my chicken). No champagne toast, no desserts, etc. I had plenty of veggies, fruit, chicken etc. but I was missing a glass of wine or something sweet. I had a hard time keeping my water glass full too. However, my choice to do this Whole30 while visiting family for a month so I know there will be other times I have to make the hard choice and go without. 

Overall I feel pretty good and I'm happy to be doing Whole30. My mom has been great about helping feed my kids so even though we're serving multiple meals at least there are more cooks than just me. I'm having trouble finding compliant foods, deli meats particularly, so again, making choices. If there were Whole30 police I'm sure they would have forced me to start over but hey, I'm doing the best I can - loading my plate with veggies and protein, a little fruit, etc. I'm sure I'll do this again at some point when I'm back at my house and then I can be closer to Whole Foods, etc. Until then, I'm feeling empowered and I'm glad I read the book.

Oh, man! Hearing about the state fair made me smile. Steadfast, taking care of ourselves...that's what your grapes and water say, Jennifer. Isn't it amazing how many places are disappointingly off limits? A state fair we can prepare for, (if it's not last minute). But it's so much more than that, right? Even all prepared knoshes at the farmer's market were off limits. We went to a tennis match, and everyone was eating junk food galore...so ironic. I imagined selling apples, a dollar a pop, alongside the hotdog vendor. I wonder how I'd do? I like thinking about us coming together, like those who created this website for us, to be more conscious about what we consume, and even appreciate the beauty of it! I tried to upload (unsuccessfully), a picture of our cutting board filled with chopped, vibrant colored veggies...

Funny side note; my husband had a craving for a pickle! So I got him a compliant jar of pickles...

Hi all! It's Sunday, so I'm getting ready to do some food prep for the week, so I was trolling Pinterest and stumbled on this post about how to paleo batch cook in a few hours. Some good ideas: http://empoweredsustenance.com/paleo-batch-cooking/

What's everyone prepping today? I'm doing a vat of potato and leek soup (made w/homemade bone broth), spicy tuna cakes from Nom Nom Paleo, and I'm prepping some salad and steaming some greens to use during the week.

Cheers to week 2!

Thanks all for the support! I was prepared enough for the fair (as far as enough to snack on throughout) and I knew we would be going out to dinner, so I even brought my own salad dressing. What I wasn't prepared for was:

-my bf's family teasing (and she practically shoved a sample of some sugared wine concoction in my mouth), so that makes it a little harder to say anything

-not being able to get any protein, as the restaurant's grilled chicken was cooked in canola oil and regular butter. When I got home, I practically shoved a chicken sausage down my throat!

Thanks for sharing the Chomps tip: never knew about them, so I will have to get a few for emergencies.

Jenn: I was out at the CA state fair! We must live not too far away from each other :) super hot, so bring lots to drink (water there is almost $4; unless you go by the wine tasting area- little hidden spot for $2)

Sandy: lol yeah, I think that selling fruit would be hard. Everyone loves the junk food better!

But it's day 7, I'm at home and had a wonderful breakfast and am back to feeling great!! I'm so happy to have all of you here: not sure if I could do it by myself (bf is not doing it and doesn't agree with all the restrictions), without your advice and encouragement and similar struggles. AND, it sure is nice to talk to people who understand the diet without having to explain what I can and can't eat constantly.

And BeckyLinn: thanks for posting. In my opinion, any change you make toward a healthy diet is a good one; we are here to support you!

First week is almost done!!!!! Good job, everyone in staying strong!

Happy Sunday everyone!

I'm searching for recipes and heading out grocery shopping in a bit. I'm feeling so much better after breakfast this morning, after years of conditioning that "fat=bad", I am really seeing the benefits of it. Finished off my spinach and mushroom frittatas this morning (still good after 4 days I think?), but covered them in sauerkraut. Hubby is a huge sauerkraut fan, his mom's side is Polish. He'll microwave it to heat it up and it stinks the house up. I have two elementary-aged kiddos that were asking what was so stinky the one day. He told them sauerkraut, which they said "sauercrap?". So I've jokingly called it that ever since. :P  But it was actually really good on my eggs. And I read the part of ISWF yesterday that mentioned trying to include a lot of it in your diet- no time like the present!

Jennifer- I had a feeling that's where you were! I grew up in Sacto and moved about an hour closer to the bay area 9 years ago for work. We still have family and friends up there, so we visit frequently. We were up in RV yesterday at the Galleria. I sure do miss that place! And yes, definitely will be bringing water to the fair, even before Whole 30 I avoided eating there on price alone!!! :)

What's everyone planning for meals this week?

I look forward to our group's posts each day! They inspire me and make me resolute to continue no matter what.

Jennifer, so sorry you ha such a difficult day at the fair and with your friends. I decided not to tell anyone but my husband and my children about Whole30. Once others notice, and I know they will, I plan to only share that I'm eating healthy foods and that I'm eliminating all inflammatory foods from my diet. That's all I'm going to say for a long time. It's hard enough to change our lifetime habits without having to defend against those trying (knowingly or unknowingly) to sabotage our efforts! Kudos to you for sticking it the program,

I'm noticing my body slimming a bit in my clothing, sleeping really well these past two nights, and being more clear headed. My husband and I started walking each night after dinner, which is very pleasant.

Onward to week 2. I look forward to other positive changes coming this week! Best to everyone!

Hello everyone. Me and my girlfriend began our first Whole 30 together on July 14. I've posted a few things, but this thread caught my eye since it applies to us! Hope all is well. I think we are gonna stay off the white potatoes even though they have become acceptable... not sure why exactly, but I guess we're thinking we've made it this far without them might as well got the remaining 23.

Anyway just saying hello! Have a great day 7. We are going to check out Dawn of the Planet of the Apes this afternoon sans popcorn, soda and other movie crap!

- Lobo :)

Hi-I would like to follow along with this thread although I have been doing this for a bit (I so could have used this when I first started!). I was getting close to the end of my 1st Whole30 and my plan was to see what I could add back to my diet, continue with mostly no-added sugar etc when I got severely sick (1st time in years). On day 4 I ended up in the ER with 103 fever, dehydrated and a diagnosis of tick-born illness. I figured that was going to be the end for that Whole30 for me but feel like #1 some of the pain I'm having could be related to the gluten and #2 have a new found motivation to be on an anti-inflammatory diet so starting a modified Whole30. I'm fighting nausea from the meds so that is why I added grains back in as that kind of starch helps me to keep the meds down. But I'm going to experiment and see if I can tolerate corn tortillas with my meds to see if that will work/can tolerate them and then drop them as soon as I finish the meds in 2 weeks. My challenge is the mind numbing fatigue that I am having with all the prep work that one needs to do. I also need inspiration for some new recipes as nothing sounds good/having a bit of meat aversion right now. But on the plus side, I've lost 2 1/2 inches in my waist, 2 inches in my hips and my clothes are fitting again. I've also learned how easy it is not to snack if you fuel yourself properly so excited to get back on the wagon! Sorry for the novel!

Its funny the things people say (or the implications behind the raised eyebrows!). I always return their funny looks, like you're judging me for eating vegetables, eggs and meat? Seriously? I hope you've all checked out the thread in the Family and Friends section of the forum.

I had a social event yesterday for my local Haemophilia foundation and it was a movie. Everyone was given a $10 voucher to get drinks or snacks - I was the only one who didn't use mine and just ate the salad I'd bought for lunch and drank from my water bottle. I realised how accustomed I've become to eating this way though when the sugary scent in the theatre smelled overwhelming and a bit gross.

Hi-I would like to follow along with this thread although I have been doing this for a bit (I so could have used this when I first started!). I was getting close to the end of my 1st Whole30 and my plan was to see what I could add back to my diet, continue with mostly no-added sugar etc when I got severely sick (1st time in years). On day 4 I ended up in the ER with 103 fever, dehydrated and a diagnosis of tick-born illness. I figured that was going to be the end for that Whole30 for me but feel like #1 some of the pain I'm having could be related to the gluten and #2 have a new found motivation to be on an anti-inflammatory diet so starting a modified Whole30. I'm fighting nausea from the meds so that is why I added grains back in as that kind of starch helps me to keep the meds down. But I'm going to experiment and see if I can tolerate corn tortillas with my meds to see if that will work/can tolerate them and then drop them as soon as I finish the meds in 2 weeks. My challenge is the mind numbing fatigue that I am having with all the prep work that one needs to do. I also need inspiration for some new recipes as nothing sounds good/having a bit of meat aversion right now. But on the plus side, I've lost 2 1/2 inches in my waist, 2 inches in my hips and my clothes are fitting again. I've also learned how easy it is not to snack if you fuel yourself properly so excited to get back on the wagon! Sorry for the novel!

I'm sorry you have been so sick! Is it Lymes? I hope not! am glad you decided to keep working on eliminating inflammatory food, anyway. For nausea, instead of using the corn torts, you might try eating a banana or sipping some ginger tea or bone broth. Be gentle with your stressed out system. Get well!

Thanks all for the support! I was prepared enough for the fair (as far as enough to snack on throughout) and I knew we would be going out to dinner, so I even brought my own salad dressing. What I wasn't prepared for was:

-my bf's family teasing (and she practically shoved a sample of some sugared wine concoction in my mouth), so that makes it a little harder to say anything

-not being able to get any protein, as the restaurant's grilled chicken was cooked in canola oil and regular butter. When I got home, I practically shoved a chicken sausage down my throat!

Thanks for sharing the Chomps tip: never knew about them, so I will have to get a few for emergencies.

Jenn: I was out at the CA state fair! We must live not too far away from each other :) super hot, so bring lots to drink (water there is almost $4; unless you go by the wine tasting area- little hidden spot for $2)

Sandy: lol yeah, I think that selling fruit would be hard. Everyone loves the junk food better!

But it's day 7, I'm at home and had a wonderful breakfast and am back to feeling great!! I'm so happy to have all of you here: not sure if I could do it by myself (bf is not doing it and doesn't agree with all the restrictions), without your advice and encouragement and similar struggles. AND, it sure is nice to talk to people who understand the diet without having to explain what I can and can't eat constantly.

And BeckyLinn: thanks for posting. In my opinion, any change you make toward a healthy diet is a good one; we are here to support you!

First week is almost done!!!!! Good job, everyone in staying strong!

Good job in choosing to stay the course in such a hard situation! Winning!! ;) I think that when people give others a hard time about making healthy choices it is due to their own insecurities. It's easier to justify their bad choices if everyone else is doing it (yep, just like high school! :) ) glad you survived!

Well that's a bummer.  Just ran out and bough LaCroix flavored water, in the hopes of getting a soda fix.  And being the people we are, we bought 3 8-packs of them.

Ugh.  Gross.  If you don't like soda water, you're not going to like this stuff.  So now we've got 23 cans of the stuff lying around.  Maybe for company... :)

Well that's a bummer.  Just ran out and bough LaCroix flavored water, in the hopes of getting a soda fix.  And being the people we are, we bought 3 8-packs of them.

Ugh.  Gross.  If you don't like soda water, you're not going to like this stuff.  So now we've got 23 cans of the stuff lying around.  Maybe for company... :)

Hmm... I've never tried it. Can it be salvaged by adding some lemon or lime to it? Or maybe adding a little of it to some green tea to give some fizz?

Argh.... momentary vent (this must be a kill.all.things day for me- lol)!

Why can't people just be supportive of me trying to make a positive change in my life? I'm not pushing this in anyone's face, and not bringing it up with many people either, generally only if asked. I had a family member (thankfully not hubby!) basically tell me it's just the latest fad, who cares, caveman thing is a bunch of crap. Drives me bonkers sometimes. You could find a magic pill to do all this and everyone would be knocking down your door to hear about it, but you do it through trying to eat a lot of veggies, some meat and good fats, and suddenly you're a weirdo that falls prey to the latest diet craze. :P

End rant... thanks for understanding! :)

Argh.... momentary vent (this must be a kill.all.things day for me- lol)!

Why can't people just be supportive of me trying to make a positive change in my life? I'm not pushing this in anyone's face, and not bringing it up with many people either, generally only if asked. I had a family member (thankfully not hubby!) basically tell me it's just the latest fad, who cares, caveman thing is a bunch of crap. Drives me bonkers sometimes. You could find a magic pill to do all this and everyone would be knocking down your door to hear about it, but you do it through trying to eat a lot of veggies, some meat and good fats, and suddenly you're a weirdo that falls prey to the latest diet craze. :P

End rant... thanks for understanding! :)

Just smile sweetly, and wait until your IBS disappears/you loose 20kg/your periods are a breeze instead of painful and erratic. Its the best revenge I promise! 

It day 8! I actually am NOT sleeping as well as I usually do. I seem to have trouble falling asleep and am waking up periodically through the night. I go right back to sleep, but its still interrupted sleep. Anyone else? On the positive side, my energy (in spite of the sleep thing) seems to be improving. Have a great day!

Archived