July 14 Support Thread

peacefrog

here is day 8 - the weekend was great, I love when am on a Whole30, I always have good food in the fridge!   Sometimes I just don't know what to eat it is all so good!

I made some spinach fritters that were awesome, I made it up used a bag of frozen spinach, two eggs, spices (nutmeg and other), almond flour a little coconut flour to hold them together and I put them on the griddle, I could have fried them in some coconut oil too.  They were awesome!

I am looking forward to my sleep improving soon!!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting July 24th as I am finishing up on a 10 day Clean Eating Challenge and thought it made sense to keep the momentum going with something even stricter like Whole30. Super nervous! But reading posts here is really encouraging. Hope its cool if i join in and learn from you all ;)

Orderd It Starts with Food, and looking forward to reading it cover to cover. 

How is everyone handling the grocery budget? I noticed I spent about 25% more yesterday at the grocery store - anyone else have some clever ideas how to not blow the budget while on this for the next 30 days? 

Argh.... momentary vent (this must be a kill.all.things day for me- lol)!

Why can't people just be supportive of me trying to make a positive change in my life? I'm not pushing this in anyone's face, and not bringing it up with many people either, generally only if asked. I had a family member (thankfully not hubby!) basically tell me it's just the latest fad, who cares, caveman thing is a bunch of crap. Drives me bonkers sometimes. You could find a magic pill to do all this and everyone would be knocking down your door to hear about it, but you do it through trying to eat a lot of veggies, some meat and good fats, and suddenly you're a weirdo that falls prey to the latest diet craze. :P

End rant... thanks for understanding! :)

I COMPLETELY understand!! Last night, my bf and I got into it over some seasoning. I was explaining that just because it says garlic salt doesn't meant there isn't sugar in there, and I can't have it. He said that I'm being weird and have been ever since I started this diet and that maybe I need to go into hibernation for the rest of the time. It was extremely frustrating and hurtful because I need him to support me. We worked it out, but still, if this is his reaction and he is the closest to me, how are others around me who aren't as close going to be? (Sigh) :-/

Well...week two is here. I can't say that I'm a ball of fire energy yet, but some great things are sprouting from this whole 30 plan. Like some tasty recipes. Stuffed peppers, updated for the whole30, were delicious and stunning to look at. The sheer volume of veggies we're consuming at once keeps catching my eye. I love the array of vibrant colors! I'm taking a lot of pictures of...food! Don't know whether we're spending more on groceries, or just planning and buying more at one time....sure is pretty though.

I've also had two nights in a row now, without allergies interrupting my sleep. I still wake up with a scratchy throat and a little coughing, but I'm hoping I'm feeling improvement....(?) Time will tell.

Planning is the big thing still. Finding the recipes. Being prepared. My birthday is on Thursday, and I'm glad we're heading out for a function...I think it'll be a nice way to opt out of the ritual birthday treats.  My husband has jumped onto this plan with me so enthusiastically....but we didn't plan well enough for him. He went without more than he should have last week. So we picked out some things for him to bring to the office, and leave in his car. I'm still feeling grateful I have this time off of work to think about my own patterns and triggers, and how I'll take better care when the time comes.

Thanks for sharing the spinach fritter recipe...sounds tasty. Nice to hear folks joining in on this wholeness journey...Here's to week two, everyone...

Well, got through the weekend.  It was challenging but at least I stayed compliant.  I love my families to pieces, but I sometimes I think it would be so much easier to do Whole30 if I lived alone.  :P

I had some 'want to kill all things' moments over the weekend.  I already really suffer (yes actually SUFFER) when people crunch food, smack their lips and generally eat in such ill-mannered ways.  I don't know why.  I can't let it go.  If I could ignore it I would.  (look up misophonia sometime....).  Anyway, my husband eats cinnamon candy discs all the time.  Its his replacement for smoking -- which I'll take the candy any day over smoking.  I'm very proud of him for stopping smoking.  But I thought I was going to have to bean him on the head when he was crunching his STUPID candy.  And then later, last night, he MOWED through 90% of a bag of Fritos and salsa.  The crunching and lip smacking.  OMG.  On top of being sensitive to it anyway, kill-all-things just made it worse.   And he's one of those perpetually skinny people!  Not that he is healthy, just skinny.  Ok RANT over....

Great job everyone!

Jamie

I made some spinach fritters that were awesome, I made it up used a bag of frozen spinach, two eggs, spices (nutmeg and other), almond flour a little coconut flour to hold them together and I put them on the griddle, I could have fried them in some coconut oil too.  They were awesome!

I am looking forward to my sleep improving soon!!

Ummm, I woke up not hungry but I really want to try and make a fritter...lol and this one sounds yummy.  I guess it's lunch time though, so maybe tomorrow.

I had a great meal at Ruby Tuesday.  I had the petite sirloin with grilled zucchini and the salad bar.  It's all compliant.  Steak done in olive oil by request and the waitress went and the dairy free page to make sure the zucchini was butter free.

I was so tempted to get the white baked potato, but I didn't have any coconut butter on me lol.

Wow Day 8! This weekend was tough! Ate lunch out (ended up with shrimp cocktail skipped the sauce and a baked potato) cookout (just kept telling people I had already eaten) and dinner at a friends who didn't remember I was on a plan! She made lasagna and garlic bread! Thank goodness she also made a salad that was compliant so I just ate that. Her hubby kept asking if they could make me something else because "salad isn't dinner"!

I also didn't get a chance to prep today so breakfast was spaghetti squash and almond slivers (would have like to add another protein source) lunch I was able to run to the grocery store from work and grabbed a salad and mixed fruit. Not bad but still not super substantially. Hopefully it will pull me through until dinner. I am so making some hard boiled eggs tonight and some emergency protein!

Whoa! This is the first day I've wanted to eat multitudes! Not a specific craving, or even real hunger....just want to eat! I ate far more than I needed for lunch for no apparent reason...all whole 30 foods, but still...maybe that still is 'craving', even if it's not for something specific. Hmmm....

I wrote a post with one hand (nursing baby) and lost it. Boo.

Anyway, I'm sleepy. Sooooooo sleepy. Is this normal?

I've been sleepy too and I'm not nursing.  I can imagine you must be tired.  Make sure you are getting enough calories.  When I was nursing my 2nd son, I didn't eat enough and my supply dropped along with my energy.  Good on you for nursing!

I'm starting July 24th as I am finishing up on a 10 day Clean Eating Challenge and thought it made sense to keep the momentum going with something even stricter like Whole30. Super nervous! But reading posts here is really encouraging. Hope its cool if i join in and learn from you all ;)

Orderd It Starts with Food, and looking forward to reading it cover to cover. 

How is everyone handling the grocery budget? I noticed I spent about 25% more yesterday at the grocery store - anyone else have some clever ideas how to not blow the budget while on this for the next 30 days? 

Bria - I've been eating more or less whole 30 for over a year, and while I noticed my food bill went up a bit, my doctors appointments and need for medication (and time away from work!) dramatically decreased. So overall I don't think I'm spending more. I much prefer it this way - roast chicken with veggies tastes so much better than antibiotics! :)

ParsleyandSage - if you're coming from something near a SAD diet, your metabolism has to do a lot of adjusting to get to a fat-burning state, so you'll go through periods of being ravenous or bored by food. Just go with it! If you're really hungry one day, eat 4 or 5 meals according to the template, or if not, eat 2. It will settle eventually.

Having a hard time falling asleep, even though my caffeine intake is greatly reduced! Had Coffee in the morning and a few sips of tea in the afternoon. Lack of sleep makes my headache worse....grrrrrr..........

Rissa- I am usually passed out on the couch by 9 but my husband had to drag me to bed last night....and then I was awake at 4. Completely restless. Now I have the perfect opportunity to nap since my 2 year old is finally asleep... But, no, I'd rather troll through the whole9 forum!

It's day 3 ("officially") for me-no more lattes or any caffeine, but I feel pretty good and look less bloated so I'll take the insomnia for now. Hope you sleep better tonight!

Jenna and Jennifer-

Thanks to my fellow Jens!  It's nice to have a sympathetic voice and support going through this. I'm starting to see benefits (yay!), and I can't wait to see what day 30 brings! Of course I miss my coffee creamer and occasional tasty treat, but having to battle someone who wants to convince you that what you're doing is wrong just makes it that much more frustrating. I was a bit cranky yesterday, hubby's been supportive, though probably getting slightly annoyed with what I can/can't eat. Though now that he's got me eating sauerkraut, it probably makes up for it.

I went off the egg track this morning and had tilapia and wilted greens for breakfast (the other half of the fillet went with a big salad at lunch). I was thinking "you know you're Whole 30 when you eat fish for breakfast and it tastes good!". :)

Tonight's dinner is going to be a modified shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes on top. I found a recipe at Nerd Fitness that looks really good! Already excited to try it!

I made a great dish for breakfast - omelet quiche - used 8 eggs, sausage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, red and yellow peppers. I baked at 350 degrees for 17 minutes. Then cut into squares and froze some for later. It was delicious!

Then I went out for lunch, first time eating out, and chose a restaurant that had salads. I had a basic salad with chicken, tomatoes, and olive oil as a dressing, but no other fat! Wow, was I hungry for dinner. In fact, I was starving! This was eye-opening as I haven't been really hungry since starting July 14 and I think it's because I've been eating the fats allowed at each meal. I can't believe the difference fat at each meal makes! I believe this is why I've struggled to lose weight on other diets.

Lesson learned: I'm going to be sure to keep some nuts in the car for emergency.

I noticed that too - I have had a meal today where I had my protein and fat, but no veggies, and fruit and fat, but no protein (until later), and was ravenous!!  I guess it goes to show they really do know what they are talking about!!

I had a lunch meeting at Del Taco, and was hoping they would have something to eat, like a salad, but they didn't. Which was fine, because I was prepared. But what was the best was that while 4 others were chomping on cheese fries, burritos, and tacos (Did I mention I love mexican?!), I wasn't even fazed and had no cravings for their food.  Yay - small victories!!

Thanks for the omelette quiche recipe - it sounds quick and easy, just my style!

Jenn - I've had some very weird comments since I started eating more healthily. I could have gotten offended, but I have been able to feel sorry for people when they make fun or disparage what I eat, because I know from having been there myself that they're ignorant. And also obviously not open to hearing anything from me on the topic. In person I generally just shrug and say something they can't argue with like "well I'm enjoying it!". If pressed further, I say its to help manage my bleeding disorder (which in an indirect way it is - my what a helpful excuse that is!). If anyone is really annoying about it "not eating bread? but that's stupid!", I go into feign ignorance explicit detail about one of my bleeding symptoms that gluten/grains directly cause (rectal bleeds! :) - oh, you didn't want to know that much? So sorry!).  

Thanks for the idea of ginger tea and bananas! I'm having an aversion to eggs right now-had been eating them scrambled with spinach and mushrooms in them. Need some ideas for protein for breakfast. I'm really torn on doing something like sausage because of the studies talking about higher rates of illness with frequent processed meats in one's diet.

Jenn- I think that's probably the perfect word for what's happening right now; bored taste buds. It's not hunger, I know that. Today is better. I guess the challenge is on to keep finding new recipes and not repeating the same foods too much....

I had a beautiful salad with shrimp, and simple balsamic dressing at one of our favorite restaurants...and a huge club soda with limes. Felt very satisfied with that.....

Have a new recipe for zucchini and sweet potato cakes. I'll post how they came out.

I have to admit, I'm eagerly awaiting the day I wake up with tons of energy....!  (Patience, grasshopper...)

Sandy

Day 11 over here and I'm quickly starting to get really sick of meat + veg.  I guess I need to get a little bit more creative with my lunches.  I tend to just eat leftovers or some simple chicken/pork/beef with raw or steamed veggies.  Today I ate like half of It and just got sick of it pretty fast, which I'm sure means I'll be hungry again around 4.  I could kill for a pizza right now or a sandwich..... Not that I'd be happy with myself afterwards but sometimes (and especially when I'm bored with what I'm eating) it seems like it might be worth it.  Hanging in there though and not giving myself the option to cheat.  Hope everyone is having a good day!

Do y'all mind if I jump in on this thread?  I started on the 14th and have been pretty doing well so far.  

I got my sister, who's been a diabetic since she was 4 years old, to start Whole30 on the 14th too.  We did a few days of planning, contingency planning, then grocery shopping together, so that was nice.  I'll try to get her to chime in on here too.  I think this is going to be much harder for her than it is for me so I'd appreciate some kind words and encouragement for her.

Can I ask about specific foods in here or is it more appropriate to put those in the "Can I have ____?" thread?  I've read through almost every post in here and so I feel like I know you guys a little bit.  Anyway, thanks for the support and encouragement  your posts have given me thus far!

Thanks for the idea of ginger tea and bananas! I'm having an aversion to eggs right now-had been eating them scrambled with spinach and mushrooms in them. Need some ideas for protein for breakfast. I'm really torn on doing something like sausage because of the studies talking about higher rates of illness with frequent processed meats in one's diet.

Stop thinking of typical breakfast foods. This weekend, i cooked a huge batch of ground beef w/onions, and I'm having that w/carrots and quac every morning.  I was surprised at how quickly I got over the idea of "breakfast" food.

Archived