Anyone else get grossed out by protein sometimes?

Ok, I'm on day 12 and things have been going pretty darn well. I just have a couple recurring issues: my sweet cravings (which I'm working on) and my occasional aversion to protein.

I always have protein at breakfast and one other meal, but often when I want a salad I want just that-a salad. Sometime the idea of any protein makes me nauseated. When I do have protein, it is a hefty serving, so I don't think I'm deficient in my overall intake. It can be to the point that I don't even want to eat at all, so I've been having just the veggies. I want to stick close to plan in the hopes of helping my sweet cravings.

Any ideas???

Protein is supposed to be there 3 X day on your plate.   That's  what will backdown the sugar cravings and keep your blood sugar rock steady.  Have you been a vegetarian sometimes?

I think it would be easy for all of us to be grossed out about some particular taste.   A salad won't hold you for the long haul.   I eat every kind of vegetable and fruit but proteins smooth everything out....moods, cravings,  blood sugar, hunger pains.

• Moderators

A host of hormonal and blood sugar issues would be better served if you divided two "hefty servings" into three palm-size portions and ate them with each meal. One of the techniques recommended for vegetarians who are trying to make the transition to eating meat is to eat small portions mixed with veggies to make the meat less of a focus. 

• Moderators

Maybe mixing up the types of protein and ways you cook them more frequently might help. Eggs for dinner or various canned or fresh seafood as well as differently prepared chicken pieces, ground as well as whole meats, etc. Vary the recipes, textures, and flavors as well.

Also note that your protein aversion and sugar cravings go hand in hand. In Ayurvedic medicine a craving for sweet tastes is a signal that the body needs protein. Remembering that and adhering to it often helps me.

I had exactly the same thing, was gagging when eating my proteins and then Tom told me to reduce the quantity. I also noticed that I like proteins better when they are stewed, i.e. Cooked for a long time, in a natural sauce produced by stewed veggies, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. I dislike a meat on my plate that is just briefly cooked. I also found compliant smoked salmon and Parma ham, which are a way more tasty than a piece of meat or poultry with your salad. Oh, and I also discovered eggs with home made mayo... Yum...

Thanks for the input everyone! I have never been a vegetarian previously, but thinking back I know there were many days I ate nothing but junk and carbs...this pretty much reinforces my previous terrible habits I guess.

I also knew in the back of my head that my cravings could be associated with protein/fats, but now I can definitely keep this in the forefront of my mind at mealtimes.

I like most proteins, except certain fish and shellfish, so I will be working harder to add them to each meal in some capacity. I seem to occasionally go overboard at breakfast as I look back on things, so I will try and pace myself with the protein in the AM. I am also looking forward to using a ton of new proteins I just got at my second ever-in-my-life trip to Whole Foods the next week.  :D

Have a great rest of the weekend :)

How is the quality of the proteins you are eating?  Are you eating grassfed red meat, pastured chicken and farm eggs?  I don't have much of an appetite for factory beef or chicken anymore.  My body just isn't interested.  Also the quality of the eggs also affects how much I want to eat.

How is the quality of the proteins you are eating?  Are you eating grassfed red meat, pastured chicken and farm eggs?  I don't have much of an appetite for factory beef or chicken anymore.  My body just isn't interested.  Also the quality of the eggs also affects how much I want to eat.

I buy organic eggs, and mostly pastured chicken and grassfed beef, so I don't think this is the problem. It has been better the last couple of days, and I am doing better. I did get some other options that helped the variety a little. Day 15-I'm halfway through!

I am on Day 3 and I am going through the same thing, thinking it's just me! Pre-Whole30, I didn't eat a whole lot of meat. I wasn't even that much of a sweets eater (though I did indulge more than I should, probably). It was the bread and fried crap and blah blah blah that got me. 

But the past three days I have literally felt nauseated by putting another bite of meat in my mouth. I know I need to eat it, and I'm TRYING to find a way to force myself to do so, but yesterday I skipped the bulk of my lunch (leftover meatballs) and just ate a mix of veggies because the thought and smell of the meatballs made me gag. 

Last night's dinner was delicious but toward the end I wanted nothing to do with it. I brought leftovers of that for lunch today and I'm convinced that the same thing that happened yesterday will happen today.

I have no idea what to do. Blargh!

I'm the same way.  I like to have meat at dinner, but I find it very difficult to eat it earlier in the day.  Now I'm pregnant so it's even worse, but even before I found it difficult to eat protein (other than nuts) for breakfast unless it's eggs with bread.  I don't have a solution because I still struggle with it.  The thought of meat (or even eggs now) tends to make me naseous. 

Archived