Is there a wrong time to do this?

I'm on day 15 and nothing I'm feeling is what people have described. Some, yes, I guess.

After 15 days I have zero energy. From day one I've felt bloated, greasy and gross. My skin is still having extremely dry patches even after cutting out the nuts I thought were the culprit. All my clothes are tight but never got smaller, even at the beginning. I am eating mostly veg with about 6 oz of chicken or fish thrown in at each meal. At breakfast usually veg plus 2 eggs and olive oil.

Here's the thing: Can there be a bad time emotionally for this? Two days after starting, my best friend (for whom I am her caregiver) found out her cancer has spread and now she is stage 4/terminal. Two days ago another good friend died after learning he was sick only 3 weeks ago. I wonder if perhaps my body is not open and willing to do this?

I have had bad IBS all my life and it's still exactly the same. My stomach is having terrible pains. I'm wondering if perhaps the timing isn't right and I should try again when things have calmed down. Cutting the grains and dairy hasn't been hard, but the legumes have been brutal.

Any advice is always welcome

I don't think there is a wrong time to do this. Sometimes things happen in our lives that make the whole30 harder. Also remember this is a whole30 not a whole15. Keep going. Some of us take longer to heal. I have never had amazing results during my whole30s. I also want to let you know that the first whole30 is the easiest. You have all the enthusiasm of your first time. If you quit now your second one maybe be a lot harder. Most people quit around day 10. Although you are on 15 you may be having there same feelings. I will try to post the link to the post if I can't search google " whole30 quit". You can do it! http://whole30.com/2014/01/do-you-really-want-to-quit/.

I am so sorry this has been a rough time for you emotionally. I would argue that it might be the best time to dig in and really take care of yourself. Could you maybe post a few days of your food log in a more detailed form so we can get a better idea of what you are eating? If you have IBS make sure you are cooking most of your vegetables if not all as that will make them easier to digest. It sounds like maybe you were not eating a lot of meat before either in which case taking digestive enzymes for a while might make the transition easier for you. 

Ultimately you need to do what you think is best and the article Tina linked should help you make that decision but as you are already half way there if we can help you have a better 2nd half we would love to help.

• Moderators

Although I cannot cite research papers to support, I am confident the grief you are carrying is having a major influence on your digestion, making everything harder. Honestly, the weight of your friends is enormous and really matters in your body. I find the Whole30 to be a very positive act of self-care, so like the idea of staying with it while you are dealing with so much grief. However, I don't think the timeline is going to match up with how things go for you because your body is dealing with so much. 

I suspect that you would feel much the same as you feel now even if you had not been doing a Whole30 for the past 15 days. The Whole30 probably made it a little worse over this time period, but I doubt that going back to your former diet now will make you feel wonderful all of a sudden. Since you have already invested 15 days, you might as well continue because if you were not under so much pressure, you would probably be starting to feel pretty good about now. 

However, as Bethany suggested, you might benefit from taking digestive enzymes. And we might be able to make a few recommendations about things you might adjust in your eating. We always recommend starchy veggies like sweet potato for people who complain of low energy.

I will agree with the above. I also feel that your body may respond much differently when stress level has decreased. For me, last spring was my first go at W30 and I had a great responce-for months. This winter, the stress level went up when my hubby was in the hospital for weeks and weeks ultimately losing his leg. I was not able to be diligent sitting in ICU etc, still working full time with a 4 month old puppy at home. I would get a few days in, then circumstances/life would interfer. I always feel better health wise on W30, but there is LOTS of prep and thought that has to go into it. And  I could not think of one more thing so it became difficult to be "on point". And the immediate "feel good" you get from unhealthy food was a big draw. I knew it was not going to help, but I wanted not to think about one more issue so I ate whatever.

I am better now-a bit more on point but still suffering the weight gain and now joint pain from the not so great decisions I made under stress.

This plan, as hard as it can be to plan and prep, can be a Godsend as it forces you to nourish yourself, and you need that right now. If you can, take the time to think about what is good for you...then you can be a better support for those who need you.

thanks all...

i'm sticking with it but I'm not having any of the positive experiences people talk about and it's just frustrating.

My food log today:

Breakfast: Leftover steamed salmon from the night before with wilted baby spinach and olive oil

Lunch:  Salad with 1 hard-boiled egg, green beans, steamed bok choy, red peppers

Dinner: burger made of bison with sauteed onions in olive oil, 1/2 baked sweet potato, small kale and onion salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Mustard

Snack: watermelon

I'm sticking with it. I'm not going to stop after 15 days. My anniversary is coming up and I've already scouted out restaurants where I can have something special on program. But I'm pretty sure the grief is keeping my body from healing...I know sadness and depression are physical too.

Another thing to mention. I lost most of my pancreas, my spleen and much of my stomach to cancer. So my digestive enzymes have been tested in the past, and we know they are off, but there is no enzyme the doctor could find to match. Without much of the pancreas, I know that meat is hard on me. Maybe when I'm done with this 30 I should try a vegetarian 30...lol.

My first thought was that you aren't eating enough - generally the recommendation for eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand, so 3-4, and I am guessing that your other proteins are similar sizes. However, losing much of your stomach might limit how much you can eat at one sitting?

Emotional stress is not differentiated by the body any differently to physical stress, so if your body feels under stress it will be holding on to fat like nobodies business - this will of course affect any weight loss you had hoped for. But just keep in mind that you're doing good things for your body, even if the pay off isn't visible yet.

• Moderators

Another thing to mention. I lost most of my pancreas, my spleen and much of my stomach to cancer. So my digestive enzymes have been tested in the past, and we know they are off, but there is no enzyme the doctor could find to match. Without much of the pancreas, I know that meat is hard on me. Maybe when I'm done with this 30 I should try a vegetarian 30...lol.

I don't think you need to match your body with a digestive enzyme so much as you need a digestive enzyme to help your body handle meat and fat. A basic one should be useful to you. You might want to review this article and look for something to assist your body:

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Cinemagirl, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I am coming from a somewhat similar situation.  I have done 2 successful Whole30s.  I was on my third when my husband was diagnosed with metastic rectal cancer that had spread to both lungs.  Currently he's fighting the good fight.  I'm his only caregiver while working full time and caring for our 11yo son, who has autism.  Stress is my middle name.  I have continued doing my W30, the weekly cook ups are a life saver for me right now.  I am looking at it as this is something that is in my control when it feels like everything else is spinning out of control.  Treatment days are a challenge as we have to go to Boston and it's an all day event.  I pack a cooler in my "cancer bag" (which is a huge LL Bean tote that I carry everything in).  I keep food that day simple.  I try to eat before leaving for the hospital and try to have dinner ready to go when I get home, though there have been times where I don't eat and just go to bed.   

My advice, don't beat yourself up.  Do the best you can in the situation you are in.  Keep eating foods that promote health, make you feel optimal.  You need your strength to be a caregiver.  And the better you eat, the better you will feel.

{{{Hugs}}}

Michelle

Archived