Patience is a virtue. I might be virtueless

I'm in an odd little bubble right now with my Whole30. Today is Day 13, and I started seeing/feeling the goodness a few days ago. I referred back to the timeline recently, and to the "it's not a Whole10" article Melissa wrote, to keep everything in perspective. 

I'm not having any cravings. I'm sleeping well. I'm having some legitimate "you's looking gooood, Cate!" moments. But, it also feels like it's easily been 30 days, and I'm only on day 13.

I'm guessing part of that is b/c since my first whole30 three years ago, I've kept up with a lot of the changes I made then. Breakfast never went back to oatmeal. Black beans & rice stopped being a staple in my diet. Sandwiches stayed off the regular lunch menu. When I ate out I definitely strayed from whole30, but in my kitchen it's been relatively on track as far as meals I make go. Point being, food prep and crazy-ass cookery isn't a constant stimulant and reminder of the whole30 for me, it's just what I do. 

I've had thoughts like, "this is all you gotta do, Cate - ain't no thang," when I contemplate the idea of actually seeing physical results from the whole30 and cutting the ties that bind with my food issues. It all seems very feasible and probable. And then I remember I'm only 13 days into the newest iteration of my journey, and I feel like I just have to wait. It's not that I'm craving foods and want to veer away from the Whole30, it's that I can see this is working - and I want to fast forward to see what's on the other end.

I've never been good with surprises. I believe this is what some might call impatience

With my first whole 30, I had a LOT of changes because I was such a huge sugar addict.  Like you, I've stayed prettly close to whole 30 style eating since then.  So I'm guessing that if I did a second one, I wouldn't see as big changes as I did the first time around.

But that isn't all bad news.  The reason I wouldn't see as big changes is because I don't feel crappy these days as I did pre-whole 30.  My energy level is great.  I sleep great.  I've maintained the weight I've lost.  My diet is mostly compliant.  and when it isn't, I feel bad and get right back to compliance, or very close to it.

So the answer to your impatience is that is sounds like you haven't strayed too far from when you did your first whole30, so it might not take as long to get back to feeling your best.

Thanks for the feedback @clabbergirl and @allyb.

Today is Day 21, and HOLY GEEZ TODAY IS HARD. Here's a summation of the random thoughts I'm having:

• I would really like a glass of wine and a taco. A flipping taco?? What the hell.
  •  
  • I'm PMSing so that isn't helping anything.
  •  
  • I've been studying for a board exam I take next week for the duration of this Whole30, so I'm also attempting to manage a decent amount of stress (which clearly the Whole30 helps - but it also means I'm extra ancy).
  •  
  • As I was going to sleep the other night, contemplating how I'm not happy with the amount of body composition change I've seen so far in my Whole30, it occurred to me that I wouldn't trust any "diet" that claimed to change a person's body as much as I would want it to change in 20 days. 

That about sums it up.

Peace out!

• Moderators

[*]As I was going to sleep the other night, contemplating how I'm not happy with the amount of body composition change I've seen so far in my Whole30, it occurred to me that I wouldn't trust any "diet" that claimed to change a person's body as much as I would want it to change in 20 days.

LOVE this! Thanks for the great reminder.

The last few days have felt like rewards are being sprinkled all over my biznass in recognition of that PATIENCE I thought I was lacking.

1. On Tuesday afternoon I went to my local coffee shop post-crossfit and multiple baristas told me my shoulders were looking fly and I looked more defined. HIGH FIVE BARISTAS!

2. I was visiting my friend's farm yesterday and before I left she commented that I looked thinner, to which I replied, "I think you might be right."

3. It's only Thursday, and this week alone I've PR'ed my back squat (hasn't gone up since April), finally started upping the amount of chest-to-deck push ups I can do without resting, AND got my toes-to-bar kicked into gear. 

4. *LADIES ONLY* I started my period today and realized that not once during PMS was I craving sugar. I craved red meat (which makes sense, especially since I have megaloblastic anemia), but I had no cravings for ice cream/chocolate/etc. HOLY GEEZ! I knew I was PMSing b/c I was a wee bit bloated, and I was definitely throwing down some protein, but that was it. I think I can actually buy the Stupid Easy Paleo "steak not cake" shirt now and and not be lying. 

Day 23 and I'm feeling pretty flipping good!

Archived