Day 1 round 1!! - ideas of drinks?

Twilightfirefly

Hello all! Starting today for my first whole 30. A little nervous as I am not a regular breakfast eater, nor find cooking fun. (I've heard that may change though!) I will definitely be reading up on the boards for hints and tips, but was wondering...

What are some good drinks you have? Besides coffee and homemade smoothies, what can I have besides unsweetened iced tea and water?

This thread might have some good ideas:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13723-what-can-i-drink-outside-of-water-tea-and-coffee/

Just as an aside - smoothies are actually discouraged on Whole30, because it's much more satiating to eat your food instead of drinking it (plus a lot of smoothie recipes are really heavy on fruit, and while fruit is definitely nutritious, it's not as nutritious as other foods, and having that much sugar at once can mess with some people, especially if you already have a sweet tooth!).

• Moderators

If you practice drinking it for a while, you may become a fat of plain water. It is my favorite drink.

Although we do not ban homemade smoothies, they are a poor approach to meal composition and eating. Liquid food does not provide the same satiation signals, so make over eating easy. You can easily drink a larger volume of fruit and veggies than you would ever eat as whole foods. Liquid food digests faster than whole foods that you chew, so you get hungry faster than you otherwise would, making it more difficult to last 4-5 hours between meals.

• Moderators

Kombucha. I had never tried it before my first Whole30, but boy did I fall in love. Put it in a nice wine glass and sip with your dinner (or after). It's fizzy and tangy and feels almost decadent.

We also are big fans of sparkling water and bought a SodaStream machine to make our own on demand. With a squeeze of lemon or lime it feels special!

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I should have clarified- I sometimes juice, with apples, carrots and spinach, but I did not mean to use it as a meal replacement. Just as an in- between. I did buy a water cooler though - I do drink a lot more water when it's chilled, and I don't feel bad with lots of empty water bottles around (our tap water here is not good). The sparkling rose water sounds good, and of course, fruit- infused water too! Not sure what Kambucha is - will have to check out. Sure wish I had a Whole Foods closeby!

I also highly recommend kombucha - it's fermented sweet tea - and yes, amazing out of a wine glass. :) After the fermentation period the vast majority of the sugar has been eaten by the probiotics (called a SCOBY - symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast), so it's ok for your whole30. I make my own and use this brewing method - http://www.kombuchafuel.com/2010/11/simple-brewing-and-bottling.html, and then put mine through a second ferment with apple juice and cinnamon (again, the probiotics in the tea eat the sugar). You can buy a SCOBY from Cultures for Health. As with many things, it's much cheaper to make your own than to keep buying $3 bottles of the stuff. :)

Okay, I was able to pick up two bottles of Kombucha yesterday.  I drank about half of one.  It was pretty good, but it had a weird aftertaste.  Reminded me of old band-aids.  I know - weird.  Its probably the fermentation. Still willing to keep trying it; maybe  after drinking it a bit more and trying other flavors, I won't notice the aftertaste.:-)

Archived