Ann's Post-30 Log

Ann

I finished my W30 three days ago (7/9-8/7), and decided to start a new log today to track my "off-road" and re-introduction adventures. Here are links to my original W30 log, and my "success story":

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1133-anns-log/page__fromsearch__1

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1977-anns-success-story/page__fromsearch__1

Okay, on to my Post-30 Adventures!

Day 31 - Clean

Day 32 - WINE. 2 glasses of red wine with and after dinner. I had really missed my wine. I splurged on a fairly nice bottle, and it was delicious. Went to bed around 11, woke at 2:30, tossed and turned for the rest of the night. Dang. Just two glasses of wine does that to me?! My favorite "perk" of the W30 was sleeping so much better. It's pretty apparent that any amount of wine is going to disrupt my peaceful rest. Also, usually I begin to get hungry for lunch around 11:30 -- today I felt ravenous at 10:45, despite having eaten my regular breakfast. I decided not to have a snack, but to plow through the hunger/cravings/whatever it is, since I think it must be directly related to the wine last night. What I need to remember about wine: Two glasses of wine = I won't get a good night of sleep, and I will battle hunger/cravings the next day.

post-2493-0-92650500-1344622428_thumb.jp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, sorry the wine had a negative effect on your sleep, what proof was it? wines are just getting stronger & stronger these days too..

But otherwise glad to see your log, I would love to continue photographing & logging my meals but don't want to confuse anybody either. I was thinking I could do a ride my own bike log but highlight non-compliant items in red (danger danger!!) or something....

I don't really know about "proof" on the wine - it was an Oregon Pinot Noir. Yum.

I wonder if they should set up another topic for "Post-30 Logs" or something? I'm not going to log all my meals etc, but just make note of when I reintroduce an item and how it affects me. I think by continuing to keep a log of some sort, I will continue to feel accountable as I make this transition, instead of quickly slipping into wild abandon. I have found so much wonderful support on here, and I'm not quite ready to be all on my own just yet. :rolleyes:

OOh shoot :blink: -- I wonder if there's a way to change the sub-forum for an established topic? Ah well, I'm fine with it being here - I think it's pretty clear from my title that it's Post-30.

Day 33 - again wine. The rest of yesterday's bottle (so another 2 glasses). And again another not-so-great night of sleep.

Day 34 plan - My friend's long-anticipated wedding is tonight! I abstained from everything (food/alcohol) at her bachelorette party two weeks ago, but I'm going to break loose tonight and do some semi-serious off-roading. I expect to drink some wine, and to enjoy the catered food, including a small bit of dessert. I fully expect to feel like crud tomorrow, and I'm making a conscious thoughtful decision to do this (I actually planned my W30 around this date). I will go heavy on the things which are Paleo-friendly, and enjoy the non-Paleo stuff in smaller portions. And after today I will go back to W30 eating for a few days to get back on track, before doing some serious "reintroduction" experiments (dairy, non-gluten grains, gluten grains...)

Also, I am heading out for a walk right now, and am committing today to walking (or similar activity) every day for the next 30 days. 8/11-9/9.

Post-wedding report. I had a large helping of a green salad (simple greens & vinaigrette), green bean/quinoa salad (I tried to get mostly green beans), pulled pork, and beef brisket with a little bit of bbq sauce. I passed on the corn salad, and on the the dinner rolls (intended for the pulled pork, to make sliders). The caterer was a bbq restaurant, and the meat and bbq sauce was to die for. I also had several (4?) glasses of red wine, a bruschetta/heirloom tomato appetizer and three small slices of pie (table covered with a variety of amazing pies home-made by friends/family was very hard to resist). Totally non-W30 afternoon but totally worth it.

I actually don't feel too terrible today. I didn't sleep well at all last night, so I am pretty tired this morning, but so far don't feel any other ill-effects. I'm going to eat clean for a couple of days, and then begin figuring out for real how my body tolerates different things (primarily, I'm interested in dairy and gluten/non-gluten grains).

Dressed and ready to head out for walk #2 - don't feel like it, actually I feel like having a cup of tea and flipping on the TV. But I can always do that later, if I still feel like it after a good walk, right?

Fairly intense cravings tonight. :huh:

The day started off good - had a good breakfast, went for a walk, did some grocery shopping, and did a lot of cooking. I made mayonnaise, sunshine sauce, and Derval's romesco sauce, and just generally did a whole bunch of chopping and prep stuff to make the week a little more effortless. I got so busy cooking, I totally forgot to eat lunch. Was very hungry at dinner, and now (2 hours after a big dinner) I'm wanting a bagel, or some dark chocolate, or ice cream. I wonder if this is related to all the sugar (pie + wine) yesterday, or if it is because I skipped lunch earlier today? Instead of a bagel, I'm having a couple slices turkey lunchmeat (the Applegate stuff with the carrageenan, which I didn't eat during the W30, but didn't toss it out :wacko:), rolled up with sauteed red/yellow peppers, and a few black olives. I'm determined to keep today 100% clean (except stupid carrageenan).

I'm a week and a half out from finishing my W30 and I have yet to do a formal reintroduction of anything except wine. Wine = disturbed sleep plus mild-to-intense carb cravings the next day. I've got almost no desire to do the reintroducing, it is a scary thought eating a bunch of something I had convinced myself was not good for me. But I suppose knowing exactly what foods do what to me will help me make good choices down the line, so I see that it is an important part of the plan.

I already blew my 30-days of walking challenge. I can't seem to rouse myself at 5:45am to go for a walk, and it has been blistering hot here in Portland for the last couple of days so I didn't walk after work. Excuses excuses. But it's pleasant this morning, and I'm getting ready to head out for a nice long walk right now. So I have walked five out of the last eight days, that's not too bad.

Still not a "real" reintroduction, but had a couple cups of coffee this morning -- my first coffee/caffeine in almost six weeks. After several days of 90-100+ temps in Portland, it rained this morning. Aaahhh! I went for a walk and got sprinkled on a few times, and it was awesome -- the smell of rain after a dry spell, one of my favorites. When I got home and started making breakfast, I decided that a cup of coffee sounded so nice and comforting after my walk in the rain. I meant to try it with coconut milk, but after I brewed a pot, I discovered the leftover milk in the fridge was too old/iffy to chance, and didn't have any left in the pantry. So, I drank it black. Wow, I forgot how much I love coffee! I love the taste of the coffee, and although I know cream would be delicious in it, I don't need it. Yay! I will probably stick with herbal tea most of the time because I don't want caffeine to disrupt my sleep, but it will definitely be nice to enjoy coffee when the mood strikes :)

Hi Ann!

I so wish I'd found this journal sooner! I think we finished our Whole30's around the same time and I had a similar experience with reintroduction. Wine disrupted my sleep and made me crave sugar the following day (mine was an Oregon Pinot Noir, too!). I tried corn chips with disasterous results (super, violent stomach pain!), so I've permanently eliminated that from my diet forever. Then I went on a kayaking trip, indulged in a few random things, let myself get way too hungry on the last day and splurged on a blizzard from dairy queen. Ugh. Now I find myself fighting cravings every day and I keep giving in to tiny little bites of dark chocolate or lara bars and I can't shake it.

I just started a Whole21 today (I have 21 days before I start my fall travel for work) to clean it up and get free of the cravings again.

Have you been to the Cultured Caveman food cart on Alberta? I donated some money to help them start up a few months ago but I haven't yet found time to get down there and check them out! I live way out in the country, so getting to downtown is difficult.

Good luck with your continued reintroductions!

I have wanted to check out the food cart, but it's on the opposite side of town and I don't get over that way often. It's on my "to do" list though! :)

Re-introduced dairy today, mostly cheese. Had some shredded cheddar/jack on my omelet this morning, two cups of coffee with half & half, a couple ounces of goat cheese in my salad at lunch, and a slice of sharp cheddar on my beef patty at dinner. No negative effects yet. I almost wish I did have some sort of bad reaction, so I would be less tempted to enjoy dairy on any regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Been riding my own bike for 3 1/2 weeks. This week, I made some choices which were WAY off plan. I was moody all last weekend (hormonal girl stuff mostly), and just tired and cranky Sunday night. I ordered a veggie pizza for delivery (to my son's surprise and delight), and I ate four pieces. It was delicious, and I enjoyed every bite (and got a mild headache, and a slightly bloated belly). Monday night I drank a bottle of wine to the bottom. Slept AWFUL - not just restless sleep, but the sort of night where you wake up fretting about stupid s**t from years ago, and worrying about things you can't do anything about. Yesterday, I was too lazy to pack a lunch, so I went to my favorite deli to find a salad or something, and the special of the day was Reuben sandwiches (ooh, how I love a good Reuben). It was a relatively small sandwich, and one of the best Reubens I've ever had. I got a slight headache after. I think gluten isn't my friend.

Man, it was SO MUCH EASIER during the W30 -- after I made my first seriously off-plan choice, it's almost like a floodgate opened. I've got that voice telling me "it's okay, you're not on the strict whole30 right now, you can have that if you really want it ..." I need to work on reminding myself the reasons why I don't want it. One of the reasons I will definitely be trying to remember, is that when I eat 4 pieces of pizza, I'm setting myself up for at least a few days of difficult mental struggles.

Fortunately, I leave after work tomorrow to visit my sister in Vegas. She and her husband are just finishing their W30 (tomorrow is their Day 30), so we will be eating very very clean while I'm visiting (we will have some wine, but probably eat almost 100% W30). It will be fun to cook and shop with her, and it will hopefully motivate me to get back on track. I will definitely be doing another W30 very soon - maybe October.

Oh, reading back over my last post, something occurs to me ... [TMI warning guys] ... next month when I'm about to get my period, I'm going to take extra care to stock up on super easy and satisfying foods (not sure what, but I'll come up with something), some paleo treats (i.e. my beloved dried pineapple rings, which I don't buy bc I eat them like candy), and maybe some high quality dark chocolate. What triggered me Sunday was just moody and I DID NOT WANT TO COOK, or do dishes. If I prepare better next month, I might avoid a week of bad choices like I just had.

I flew to Vegas to spend the holiday weekend with my sister. Not a "touristy" Vegas trip, just a nice low-key family visit. She and her husband finished their first W30 the day before I arrived. We stayed mostly on-plan (except for too much wine), but had one day of WAY over-doing it. Laying by a fabulous pool all day Monday, with servers taking drink and food orders was more than we could resist. I had three beers, and a Reuben sandwich. And yesterday at the airport, heading home, by myself, HUNGRY, with only 15 minutes before my plane boarded, I scarfed down a burger, fries and diet soda.

Today is my Day 1 of a Whole9 to reign myself back in.

Oh Ann, I can totally relate/commiserate!! I started off slowly reintroducing things one at a time, and three weeks later I found myself face first inside a bag of m&ms (among other things.) My sugar/carb cravings are awful, and I have gained back all my inches plus some. I feel worse than I've felt in a long time....trying to give another Whole 30 a go but I'm having trouble sticking with it...Agh!

Hope you have better success than I, and enjoy Vegas and the support of being with family that "gets it" and will eat Whole 30 with you!

• 2 weeks later...

Waaay off track. I can give all kinds of excuses, but I suspect the primary culprits are feeling emotional in the week leading up to my daughter going back to college, and the Slippery Slope Syndrome. I ate bad food, and felt worse, which led to more bad food and too much wine, which made me feel even worse, and I have just strayed completely off the path. Pizza delivery one night (and cold pizza for breakfast the next day), deli sandwich one day when I didn't pack my lunch, Five Guys burger and several bottles of hard cider last night, I miss feeling fabulous, instead of tired and moody.

I'm on "staycation" this week and my schedule is a bit haywire with lots of outings, projects and social things planned. So I'm going to wait until I'm back to my normal work schedule next week to start a fresh Whole30. Sunday will be my shopping and prep day. This isn't to say I'm giving myself permission to order another pizza this week, but it might be overly-ambitious to start 100% today.

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, and to remember that this is all a learning process. I had a relatively easy time sticking with my Whole30, but "Riding My Own Bike" is really really hard for me. Someone else posted on here that what matters isn't how many times you fall down, but how many times you get up. I'm looking forward to getting back on track :)

Archived