Advice needed - Struggling with personal crisis

I completed my Whole30 last Thursday - stuck to it 100% throughout. Since Friday, I've had a 'naughty' meal everyday, food that I was craving doing my Whole30. The good news is when eating each of them, I didn't enjoy it and have lost the cravings - I want to eating well.

The Sunday before I finished my Grandma was taken into hospital, and put in a coma. She's still there.

My problem is, because of the stress and upset, I've lost nearly all appetite, last week I ate 5 meals in 7 days.

I'm also working 8-5, then going to the hospital until 7pm. 

I'm really struggling with how I can maintain eating to Whole30, when I can only face one meal (if that) a day. I could face a smoothie but I know that's a no-go. I've thrown away most things in the fridge because they've all gone off. The hospital food is awful.

Help!

• Moderators

I'd say just eat when you can and stick to the template. Sorry to hear about your Gram and subsequent stress. It's especially important to take as good care as possible of yourself now.

First of all, let me say that I am sorry to hear that your gma is not well. It is so difficult when those we love are sick. You both will be in my prayers.

As much as I love whole 30, this might not be the best time for you. It might just be more stress than you need to face right now. Perhaps you can change your focus to eating as healthy as you can. If you can't face a full meal, have a snack instead. Make good choices about what you are eating. Take care of yourself the best you can.

When things are better and your appetite returns, then come back to another w30. I look forward to seeing your posts again.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The thing is, doing Whole30 has cleared up my digestive issues, and made me feel happier (considering) and sleep better. I don't want to then go back to feeling crap on top of what's happening.

I'm not sure if I should make myself eat when I'm not hungry or it's best to wait until I feel hungry, even if it's a day or two.

If it's only a day or two or three, it's ok to skip some meals and eat when you are hungry. If your decreased appetite continues much more than that, it's time to start eating more. Five meals in seven days made me think it's time to start eating again. Don't push yourself. If you are not hungry but haven't eaten since morning, have something small and simple: an egg and some veg, a cup of soup, etc.

Just because you are not eating full template meals doesn't mean you have to "eat poorly". You certainly don't want to feel bad because of food choices :).

I hope your gma is feeling better soon.  Look at the bright side, when i get stressed i eat, you have the opposite!  I agree with everyone else, try to eat when you can and have some smoothies with good nutrients (kale, berries, almond milk).  It is harder to take of ourselves when someone we care about is struggling.  Take care of you too.

When I lost my father, I had a similar food situation. Nothing sounded appealing. I made nutrient dense smoothies because that is what I could handle, and taking in food that was good for me (regardless of the method) kept me a bit more together and was easier to consume. You finished your whole30 and saw great results. You can still stick to eating compliant foods even if you aren't perfectly following a template, ya know? 

Peace to you and your grandma. It's never easy, but there's always a light at the end - no matter how far away it may seem. 

Archived