possible to salvage mayo fail?

mjr1026

I recently made some homemade mayo and (even though I'd bought the light oil and everything) mindlessly used EVOO instead of lighter tasting oil.  Does anyone have any tricks to tweak it and make it edible as something other than mayo?  I hate to see it go to waste  :( .

In the past I have used mayo as a coating on fish and chicken before baking, it is like putting oil on the meat.  You might try that, it also might allow spices or seasoning to stick on?

Another idea, you might be able to turn it into a vegetable dip, I know Clothes the make the girl has a ranch dip that is mayo based.  That might work out ok, add some garlic or other flavors to cut down on the oliveness.

My last thought, thin it down with more vinegar and turn it into a salad dressing?

Good luck...let me know how it goes!

• Moderators

How bad does it taste to you? Could you make a batch of mayo with the light tasting oil and combine the two and end up with something edible? Or is it so strong tasting that that wouldn't help?

Otherwise, like WholeAmy mentioned, turn it into a dressing or dip. Here's a possible ranch dressing recipe that might work. Or try mixing it with mustard and putting it on a hamburger patty, maybe the stronger mustard flavor would help cover the olive flavor?

Archived