Abd. Pain and MRT IgE testing

I am on day 82 of w30. Things have gone very well for me up until the last couple of weeks. Then I started having abdominal gas, pain and cramping along with a heavy feeling in my lower abdomen (no diarrhoea or constipation). It gets better during the night, and gets worse during the day as I eat. (I did have a very quick bout of this early in my w30 which I attributed to too much coconut - quit the coconut and it resolved). I have not been able to attribute this to any specific food.

Gut pain is a miserable feeling and I just don't know where to turn for help. Is it food related? Should I see an allergist? Something wrong with my GI tract so I need to see a Gastro? Female issues where I should see my GYN? I am a nurse so it takes ALOT to get me to go to a doctor. Just considering it tells you how much pain I am in.....

After some reading, I thought maybe I would add probiotics and kombucha, alternating each a day to boost the "good" gut flora. This had marginal if any effect over a weeks time. Maybe I didn't give it enough time?

Now, I am wondering if it is food sensitivities - I know I am allergic to soy and sensitive to tree nuts. I don't think it is cross contamination because I have no soy in my house. Thinking it may be new sensitivities, I started a low FODMAP approach. I know that two days isn't long enough but I thought I would have some relief if that were it.

During my reading and research, I came across a couple articles about MRT testing (mediator release test). Has anyone done this? Was it helpful to you?

I appreciate any help, words of wisdom, advise, etc you can give me.

• Moderators

If I were suffering like you, I would talk with my regular doctor and consider meeting with a gastro. Having a colonosopy means wiping out a lot of your good gut bacteria, but it might be worth the look see.

There is a probiotic/prebiotic pill that I found that I can tolerate called Prescript-Assist. I don't take it routinely, but go through a bottle of it when I have to take a round of antibiotics. If probiotics are going to help, I would expect it to do the job. 

Kmlynne, I had the same issues when I tried to complete my Whole30 in January. 

I have seen all the doctors possible, performed numerous tests - it took me almost 5 months to find the problems, which was in major food intolerances - coconut, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, shrimps, eggs, salmon, chicken, pork, tomatoes...just to name a few. 

I would suggest igG blood test, since it shows intolerances, which cause all sorts of gut problems as opposed to igE allergy test that shows allergy reaction you can usually get within 30 minutes after eating the food - such as rash or swelling

Kmlynne, I had the same issues when I tried to complete my Whole30 in January. 

I have seen all the doctors possible, performed numerous tests - it took me almost 5 months to find the problems, which was in major food intolerances - coconut, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, shrimps, eggs, salmon, chicken, pork, tomatoes...just to name a few. 

I would suggest igG blood test, since it shows intolerances, which cause all sorts of gut problems as opposed to igE allergy test that shows allergy reaction you can usually get within 30 minutes after eating the food - such as rash or swelling

Thank you for letting me know about the differences in the testing!

Mystery solved - well, in a theoretical way....

After a couple of days of really intense pain (one day of which I was working), I was finally talking to the doctors that I work with and the going theory is .....  KIDNEY STONES!

I should have thought of this before.  I had a horrible bout where I had stones on both sides (9mm) that blocked everything up so much that I had to have 3 surgical procedures.  It all started with abdominal pain.  

So, after two weeks of increasing pain, and two days of intense pain, it is all gone!  I am so glad that it wasn't food - I have really, really been enjoying my eats!!!!!

Archived