Starting July 21

Jules1022

I'm starting today, August 21st too! Well? It's a restart. I tried at the beginning of the month but hit a snag when I had to travel for work, and I just wasn't ready. I spent the weekend meal planning and prepping for the week. Half the day done and still feeling great!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1! Breakfast was hard boiled eggs, bacon and guacamole. Lunch was albacore tuna with olive oil & vinegar, dill, salt, pepper, garlic, capers, chopped nuts, and dried cranberries. Dinner was a roasted chicken salad. 29 more to go!

Hi to all who made it through day 1! My wife and I are able to bank the first day of our virgin 30 without too much sobbing...

It's a bit tricky learning how to cook again and change old habits but we're both excited for the challenge. I'm happy that there's an opportunity to share and have support here!

We can do this!

Started today as well.  I completed a full round last year but this is my first for 2014 and geesh, day 1 was rough.  I just returned from a cruise on Saturday, eating and drinking with reckless abandon and told my husband that I thought this round would be tough.  Well, it has been...headache (mild ache most of the day) and a vivid food craving dream (chili cheese fries) during a very much needed nap.  Plus, I didn't take my tart cherry and tumeric supplements for my gouty toe for over a week and I got a mild-flare up this morning.  Yikes!

Thankfully, though, my food has been tasty and I know the results will be worth riding this out.  So on to Day 2! 

Good luck everyone.

July 21st was my Day 1 as well. Good to be with you all.

I've been test driving the eating plan for the last 5 days and every day there was always one non-compliant food that I allowed into my day. It's incredible the psychological effects of this whole challenge. So, my goal is get through the next 30 days without letting my brain override my commitment. This is my second time attempting a a whole 30 and this time it is all about getting off a new medication I've been on since November 2013. If I can clean out my diet, I'm hoping it will no longer be necessary. This has added so much more weight (no pun intended) to my decision to really do this thing!! I feel calm and ready. It's time for change. Look forward to keeping in touch with you all.

I made it throughout the first day! What I find interesting is I used to only eat grains (quinoa or gluten-free oatmeal...1/2 cup) for breakfast. The past two days I have not had any. Sunday morning I had a veggie omelet, and yesterday two pumpkin crumble muffins. I could tell my body really wanted that small amount og grains, but I didn't give in! I did feel a little more hungry between meals, and a little more tired...but I think in a few days or so my body will adjust. Kudos to everyone who made it through their first day...we can DO this! :-)

Good morning, Hope everyone had a great first day.  Mine was good, no real issues or concerns (didn't really expect them on the first day).  Breakfast was (and probably will continue to be) tough for me though.  I just am not a big breakfast eater and switching from my standard green juice to two eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms and ghee plus two slices of compliant bacon was really tough for me!  Same this morning, I really struggled through breakfast but yesterday I wasn't hungry for lunch until a little after one - usually I'm looking for something to nosh on by 10...

Hope the morning is moving along for everyone!

Day 2 is going well for me so far.  Omelette (2 eggs, ham, peppers, mushroom & ham) and a salad for breakfast.  Leftover taco meat, kale, carrots & tomato for lunch along with some blueberries.  Not quite sure what's for dinner, I have some mince that needs using up so probably burgers.

Bede - when I eat according to the template I can easily go 6 hours between my meals.

Hi everyone! My husband and I started our first W30 July 21 as well; how are you feeling today? I felt so unbelievably tired at the end of Day 1 that I had to go to bed at 10:15 p.m., which was great because I avoided all the late-night temptations (gin and tonic!! dessert!).

A few notes from Boston:

• I can tell that the increase in prep time and planning that this way of eating requires will be one of the biggest challenges for us. Next Sunday we need to the big prep session that Well Fed recommends! I hate chopping and prepping when I'm hungry.
  • It's interesting to use new products like coconut oil and coconut amigos and I'm excited about all the avocados we'll be eating.
  • Reading the labels during my W30 shopping trip, I was also shocked how much crap gets put into foods that seem "whole."
  • It's way to soon to see any real change, I know, but I really do feel that the bloat I was carrying around is lessening. Encouraging!

Good luck to everyone and it's nice to have the forum to support each other.

Day 1 was a do-over.  Husband wanted rice and beans and I caved.  I've done this with him for about a year or so now and some times it's just hard to convince him I'm not interested in rice and beans (when in fact I am). 

However, that's done and over with and today doesn't appear to have any challenges.  Making some mayo tonight for a nice tuna salad.  Getting some activity in and using my stand up desk.

Now I'm going back to read through all your posts. :D

TinMan57: You're right about the timeline, I checked it out this morning when I woke up tired with a pretty massive headache. 

Feeling pretty good  at the moment and had a yummy lunch - chicken salad with grapes and a few nuts for crunch and homemade mayo (that was so good and easy) over a big green salad.  I have to say that even though it's only my second day I can feel a difference post meal - the uncomfortable feeling isn't there - I'm just full.  It's great!

I started on july 20th, but then realized my supplements were not compliant, so I started over on the 21st. Prior to whole30, I generally eat paleo, but will indulge in a gluten free dessert that the bakers at work make a few times a week, I drink alcohol a few nights a week, and I'll do rice or corn very occasionally when I'm eating out. So the biggest challenge for me will be the sugar and the alcohol. I don't expect to have too much of the withdrawal symptoms.

That being said, day 1 was terrible! It might be because it's that time of the month and its extremely muggy and rainy here in NC, but I was grumpy and in pain and had no energy the whole day! I ate pretty good, but was really really wanting that after lunch dessert. I managed to make dinner, but it was not the best tasting or looking because I really didn't even want to cook. I ended up eating mpre of ot than I should have, but thats better than eating dessert, right?

Day 2 has been better, even though its still crappy weather.I've been really having to force myself not to "taste" any cookies or brownies. I feel really good about myself when I'm eating my meals, but I really want to snack when I get home from work (between lunch & dinner). I am definitely eating enough at meals, Im just used to snacking. What to dooo. This is harder than I thought it would be. sorry about the novel!

So I have to restart. I fell of the refrigerator and cheated. I am on a very strict diet on Leakey Gut. It is more restrictive than Whole30 and is very hard for me to stay on. I am going to restart tomorrow and join your thread. I already have my meat prepped for this week and cooking the veggies daily. I am going to review my goals and make any changes that I need to. Glad to be aboard with all of you. Let’s do this!!

Day 2 was good for me. Another sick day at home with no snacking in between meals. I can't get over the no snacking - I'm always snacking but eating like this is keeping me full enough to remind my head I don't need snacks :)

Today - day3 is going to be tough. First night shift tonight on whole 30. Night shift is terrible as the hospital always has high sugar / grainy food to tempt me. I'm going to spend the morning cooking up some sweet potato, eggs & a delicious dinner to get me through!

Hi all! I started June 30, but got sick and ended up with a couple of non-compliant hot beverages to soothe my throat. Finally feeling better and decided that the right thing to do was start over (at least in counting days). Even though I've been eating compliant meals, the couple of hot beverages and the fact that I felt like crud made an impact. I'm three weeks in and can't say I've gotten the benefits I was looking for - and I don't think that's because of whole30 but because of the sinus infection. So, now that I feel better it is time to start over - and call today day 1. I'm looking for this to be a lifetime of healthy eating (not a quick fix), so restarting the clock doesn't bother me.

The one thing I have loved is that this is pushing me to find all sorts of great new recipes made with nutritious foods. I love to cook, but I had gotten out of the habit. Trying new foods has sparked the creative foodie inside of me and that is bringing my love of cooking back to life.

Day 2! Breakfast was a hard boiled egg, bacon, roasted tomatoes and raspberries. Lunch was roasted chicken, pineapple, guacamole and nuts. Dinner was sausages with peppers and onions and a big salad with celery, carrots, tomatoes and roasted beets. I made my own salad dressing with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and chives.

Nearing the end of day two and feeling pretty good! Cravings haven't been very strong, but I think I'm still high off the initial excitement of starting a whole30. This is my first "real" w30, but I've done a 30 day "paleo" challenge before!

Today I had two boiled eggs and strawberries for breakfast, followed by a big salad with leftover ground beef, onions, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes on top. For dinner I had flank steak marinated with coconut aminos and some grilled zucchini with ghee and garlic. I have been feeling some hunger after dinner on both days-nothing intense though. Any one else feeling this? I'm thinking it's either due to not eating enough fat, not eating enough in general (my plate was not particularly heaping with food), or perhaps thirst. Maybe I'm just not sure what it feels like to not be bloated after I eat anymore! Tomorrow I'm going to increase my water intake, and possibly have some avocado with my eggs at breakfast, as well as more veggies/fat with dinner and lunch and see what happens. 

Prior to eating a primal diet I've been a longtime weight watchers member/leader and grew up in a weight watchers filled household, so even though I no longer follow that program/way of thinking and have come to embrace eating healthy fat, I think I may tend towards lower fat without being conscious of it. Since I don't want to count macros/log what I eat (it drives me crazy and usually leads me to disordered eating patterns), I've got to be more aware of getting the good stuff in that's going to keep me full and energized! 

The weird food dreams have started with me....

Last night I dreamt I ate an entire tub of icecream. I didn't have any cravings before I went to bed but it felt so real this morning I was concerned I would have to restart! I did remember, however that I threw all the icecream out before I started so it must have been a dream!! Very strange..

i started yesterday as well!!! I have been doing Paleo, but felt like i was having more paleo freeDAYS as opposed to just meals! so here goes nothing folks! today is day two and so far so good

I did give up coffee over a week ago because i knew it was the one thing i would struggle with when it came to sweeteners.

Best of luck to us all!

Archived