Starting July 21

Jules1022

I had a pretty good day. I am an accountant at a country club and they provide us with lunch so I had to be REALLY nosy about how they fix things but at the end of the day I am glad. I think more people should be concerned with how their food is prepared. And it was good. I had a grilled chicken salad with salsa and boiled eggs. Your posts keep me going btw. I love reading them through out the day, it really helps me stay on track and not feel alone! Thanks!!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started my first Paleo on the 19th. I thought the no coffee and no wine would be the hard part but I'm doing okay. I think massive amounts of garlic last night is turning me into a fart monster tho! I've woken at 3 in the morning last two mornings and could not fall back asleep (not from farting-just restlessness :) Made sure to have a little bit of yam today and hope to sleep better tonight. By the way, is yam the same as sweet potato.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week!

I didn't sleep particularly well last night, woke up in the middle of the night with some back pain.  Amusingly, my husband said the same thing this morning.  It's really hot here right now, which is also contributing to my poor sleep.

I'm off to the supermarket again this morning as I'm out of salad ingredients. I don't have much protein left either.

Everyone, don't forget that the meal template applies to breakfast as well.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf%C2'>

JMS - I hate to break it to you, but muffins are generally considered to be SWYPO.

Penelope - yams and sweet potatoes are different. But what most Americans call yams are actually sweet potatoes. 

A compliant pumpkin crumble muffin? Recipe please. I love pumpkin!

I found the recipe on literally-everything.com

whole30 + pumpkin muffins
1 1/2 cup coconut flour
1 can pumpkin
3 eggs (possibly 4, depending on your batter)
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup almond butter (I used coconut butter instead)
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
a few cracks of fresh sea salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Combine all of your ingredients in a bowl and combine until smooth. If your batter is a bit crumbly, add another egg. Scoop your batter evenly into muffin tin, and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Easy. Peasy. These are pretty dense muffins, but one and a half of them keep me full all morning.

I call them "crumble" muffins because even after being baked, they were crumbly.

Day 2 is done...and I found it to be a little easier than day 1!  I do find I need a little snack in the afternoon...a few hours after eating lunch.  I normally have a few tbsp. of coconut butter, and that seems to satisfy me until dinner. Is anyone else needing just a little something between meals?  I know were not supposed to snack, but I feel what I am snacking on is okay? Today is day 3, and I woke with a little bit of a dull headache.  Will see how the rest of the day goes.  Tomorrow I plan to get up in the morning and run (I run 2-3 days a week, anywhere from 3-5 miles each time), which I am a little nrevous about.  I hope after, I can fuel up with enough at breakfast. Are there any other runners on this thread?  28 more days to go...we can DO it!

Ourdorsgrl - What are you eating for your meals and how long do you wait between meals?  If you feel like you need a snack between meals then you might not be eating enough at your meals.  Or not enough of the right types of foods.  Unless you're used to snacking between lunch and dinner, then it might be more habit than hunger.

I ran on my first two W30s while training for a half marathon and a full marathon. You might find your run a bit of a challenge, it takes most people about 2 weeks to get their running legs back.  

Hi everyone!  Hope day 3 is off to a great start for all.  I'm actually home today and working on things that need to get done here.  I had an appt to have blood drawn at 8:30 this morning and couldn't eat before hand - I was starving by the time I got home and really enjoyed my breakfast!  I laugh because breakfast is by far the toughest meal for me - I used to just do green juice in the morning pre Whole30.  It's a big change.  Hope everyone is having a great day:)  Is anyone on Instagram?  I'm sharing some of my meals and stuff there but not too much - love checking out others on Whole30 though!

Outdorsgirl - I felt the same way yesterday (but not day 1) so today I'm making sure I'm adding a bit more fat to my meals since my portion sizes are good.  Maybe that's your issue too?  What are you eating at each meal?

annabel and bede0713-I have been battling with what to eat and how much for some time now. I have intestinal permeability (leaky gut) and have not eaten gluten or dairy for over 2 years now. I think I have issues with FODMAP's and think I may need to do AIP (autoimmune protocol) after my first Whole30. I have even done food combining, per my holistic nutritionist. What is tough is with food combining your not supposed to mix carbs with proteins due to digestion, etc. with Whole30 you can mix them. I am trying to figure out what is most optimal for me with digestion issues, etc. Perhaps I need to list what I eat for a day to make sure I am going about this program the right way?!?! By the way, I am on Instagram at: my_whole30journey. :-)

How's Day 4 going for everyone?  

I've had a headache for most of the morning, though that's fairly typical for me recently and have been feeling generally unwell.  But, I don't get on well with the hot weather, so I don't think I can blame the Whole 30. Though, I'm sure most people outside the UK don't consider 26 (79F) to be particularly hot.  I'm really struggling to drink water right now, so am drinking tea, black.  Interestingly, it tastes the same as it does when I put milk in (probably because I only put in about 1 tsp), so I'm not sure why I've bothered with it for as long as I have.  I also have sparkling water in the fridge, so will try that next. 

Other than that I'm totally bored.  I've been really productive every day this week and now I have nothing left to do  :)   I'd do some meal prep, but can't bear the thought of turning on the oven or stove.  I'll be glad to have my course to go to from Monday onwards.

Bede - It took me years to get used to eating breakfast, it's only really been since I discovered the Whole 30 that I've become a regular breakfast eater, but I love it now.  We were at a B&B a few weekends ago and breakfast wasn't served till half 8! I was so hungry by then that I actually ate toast, which I've always considered to be too boring to bother with. (I don't think I'd bought a loaf of bread from the time I left home until I met my husband 10+ years later.)  But, honestly, I think it was more about the butter than the toast.

Outdorsgrl - I'm not familiar with food combining.  Has it been working for you?  If not, then I'd say disregard it for your Whole 30.  If it has been working for you, then it's a lot more difficult for you to decide what to do.  But, I'd hate for you to not get the full results of a Whole 30 by adapting it too much.  Definitely list what you're eating for the day, the moderators and everyone else are usually great with offering helpful suggestions and advice.

Good morning Whole30-ers. Today is day 4, and I am going to stay positive! I got up and ran this morning...but had to really push to get in 3.39 miles. I felt like major crap the entire time. I know it will take a few weeks to get my "running legs" back. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well, and staying positive. Only 27 more days!

annabel-I have pretty much decided just to go by the Whole30 standards for the duration of the program. I was seeing some positive things doing food combining, but not enough to stick to it at this point. Do I post what I am eating here, or another thread within the forum? Thanks for your help here. I hope you can get some relief from the heat! I don't do well myself with heat...especially when humidity comes in to play. Have a good day! :-)

Annabel - Breakfast was actually a little easier today, thanks!

Outdorsgrl - I tried to respond last night but my laptop disliked me:)  I have colitis and so can understand a bit where you're coming from.  I'm not following AIP but seem ok otherwise - actually I feel A LOT better the past four days then I have in over a year in terms of my digestive health! I did follow you on instagram btw, I'm @bede0627 there - trying to post more whole30 :)

Anyone else just feeling blah today?  I woke up with no energy and just sad.  Not sure what it's all about but I'm just totally out of it today and sad.  Cried twice and had to shut my office door!  Must be related to all of this, not my norm at all...

Well the headache everyone has experience finally found its way to me. It was pretty horrible. I woke up at 3:30 this morning (because my 4 month old puppies were barking) and my head started pounding.  But around 8:30 this morning it seems to have pretty much gone away. Thank Goodness. Last night I had some buffalo chicken tenders, I got the recipe from Stupideasypaleo and it was pretty good.  I am not sure that I really liked the pork rinds though.  But it gave me something to play with.  My garden is finally starting to produce some really good veggies so I am excited to make some yummy new things with what I have grown myself. I struggle with dinner ideas, so if any of you have any yummy recipes shoot them my way!! Have a great day 4 people! 

annabel - You are correct about the SWYPO thing. I want the recipe for after the 30 days. I think that long term I will want to find some things that we can add back in without adding the junk (especially sugar) we don't want back into our nutrition. Especially since the entire family is doing this together and eventually I want to get back to a little "baking" with my 11 year old.  We are looking at this as a new way of eating that we plan to maintain (as close as possible) for years to come ... not just a quick diet so I'm looking for long term solutions.

outdorsgrl - Thanks for the recipe. Looks easy enough to make. 

Today is the end of day 4. So far so good. Someone brought in a carrot cake for a birthday at work today. But I steered clear. I know the real challenge is going to be the weekend. I can eat pretty well during the work week, but its the weekend that I fall off the wagon. I should have time plan meals though, so that should help. I saw a picture of zucchini noodles with salmon on top, i am so gonna make that this weekend it looked so delicious. Keep up the good work everyone. 

Morning everyone!  Day 5 already.  I'm trying going with a smaller breakfast this morning as I'm finding that I'm not hungry enough during the day to eat the rest of my meals at a reasonable time.

I managed to cut my thumb last night with my julienne peeler.  And that was after setting a tea towel on fire in the morning when using a small cast iron pan on the larger burner with too much flame.  I really can't be trusted in the kitchen.  :(

annabel and JMS-There was a discussion as to whether the pumpkin muffins I made were or were not SWYPO. I value everyone's opinion...so what makes them SWYPO?! The ingredients are Whole30 compliant. I understand no potato chips, french fries, cookies, etc. but this confuses me a bit.

Day 4 went well until last night. I had run in the morning, then had a protein packed breakfast. I felt awesome after that...and most of the day. Then about 8pm last night, after eating dinner about 5:15ish...I felt famished. I had absolutely NO energy, and felt as though my blood sugar was crashing. I ended up having a small serving of left over ground turkey. It helped tremendously, but I broke the no snacking rule. I hope I don't have to start over?!

Today is day 5, and I will be spending it at an amusement park with my family and extended family. I plan to pack a cooler with foods I can eat, so I stick with the program. Have a fabulous day 5...26 more days to go!

Outdorsgrl - The muffins just recreate something that you likely ate for breakfast (or a snack) pre Whole 30.  Now is a time to be creating new breakfast habits, rather than relying on substitutes for what you used to eat.  I think all paleo-ified desserts are considered to be SWYPO (and muffins are a dessert, despite the American predilection for eating them at breakfast time) But besides that, it doesn't really fit the template.  

There isn't really a no snacking rule.  It's fine to eat a 4th meal if you're hungry.  But you should try to make it a mini-meal, with protein, veg and fat.  My husband has a physical job and needs to eat at least 4 meals a day at the beginning of a Whole 30.

Have fun at the amusement park

Annabel - Sounds like you had a rough day yesterday (lighting a tea towel on fire and cutting your self!)!  I hope today is uneventful :) (and of course hope your finger is ok.)

Outdorsgrl - I think they would be considered SWYPO because it's the attempt to recreate non-compliant foods with compliant ones...like the banana and egg pancakes (I read this some where as an example) - they are  compliant because of ingredients but it's really something (pancakes) that people associate with syrup and butter and so on and so forth.  They sound yummy though!

Jules1022 - You can do it!  Weekends are always tough - takes you out of your routine and makes  slips easier to rationalize - hang in there though!  The zuchinni spirals sound yummy:)

Hope everyone is having a great day 5.  I slept great last night and felt great today.  I'm actually feeling really good today too and getting a lot done at work (I've been dragging a bit the past  few days).  Hope everyone is having a great day 5!

Today is day 5...how is everyone doing so far?!?! I made it through day 4 at the amusement park. I packed my lunch...and got dinner at the park. I was able to get a chicken salad (plain grilled chicken over lettuce, red cabbage, and sliced carrots). I didn't use salad dressing, as none were compliant. I did have a few tbsp. of coconut butter in the evening, but overall I think I did well.

As far as the pumpkin muffins...do I need to start the program over because I ate a few for breakfast the first few days of the program?! I feel silly for thinking they were okay. I didn't even eat muffins on a regular basis before starting the program. I was just looking for something simple, yet tasty to get me started on the program. I will have to reevaluate the template to be sure I am getting adequate portion sizes, etc. Thank you for clarifying this for me!

I need to make a game plan for next weeks meals and get cookin' in the kitchen.

Happy weekend...25 more days!

Hi everyone,

Day 6 is .. going.  Still really tired and fairly cranky today in general.  Looking forward to this passing...

Outdorsgrl - I don't think you need to start over. There weren't any non-compliant ingrediendts.  Just don't make them moving forward for the 30 days.  My thoughts :)

Hi everyone.  I also started July 21st and have been following this topic all week.  Funny that just now when trying to find a picture to post with my profile reminded me all over again why I'm doing this.  I'm sure we've all had that moment when we see a picture of ourselves and then just absolutely cringe, thinking OMG is that what I look like?  That happened with me just recently as we went on vacation and of course pictures were taken.  I was already going to do the Whole30 with my niece but seeing the photos was the final motivator I needed. 

My first motivator for doing this was the weight loss aspect, but I've been so hyped/excited by how good I feel already.   I feel so much less bloated, and I didn't really think that I was bloated before, but now that I'm not so much I'm like wow, I was bloated!  :huh:

The biggie for me was no alcohol rule, as I was/am a nightly wine drinker, and the no bread rule. I've found that those things haven't been as big a deal as I thought they would be.  The hard part is all the prep work!!! OMG.  So, this weekend I plan to plan 3 to 5 meals and be better prepared for this upcoming week.  I have a husband and son who are not on board, however they support me, so I'm solo in the house and that has been a hassle.

I'm feeling good and sleeping OK.  I really appreciate hearing everyone's stories and those who post their recipes and meal ideas have given me a lot of inspiration, thank you!

Glad to be here, I'll be counting on this forum to help me through this!

Archived