Starting July 21

Jules1022

Day 21, things are going okay for me still.  I've gotten used to eating "this way" I think.  I had a small non-scale victory yesterday as I went to a movie without devouring a ton of popcorn.  I actually just sat there and watched the movie without eating anything.  Last weekend I wanted to go to a movie but didn't for fear it would be too much to handle, smelling the popcorn.  So, that was cool.

My main struggle continues to be the fact that I'm the only one in the house on the program, so that's difficult, especially on the weekend when Hubby gets into the cheese dip and alcohol.  (That's why I went to a movie.)

I continue to feel good, and sleep is wonderful.  Every night right about 9:45 it hits me and I have to go to bed, and I sleep like a rock until about 6.  Love that.

Along with the Whole 30 I also challenged myself to increase my yoga time, which I have been, and that also feels good. 

Tomorrow is a crazy day at work (inventory) and I have to be there 2 hours early so today I need to make sure I pack everything I need for my meals.  Oh, and a family birthday party tonight at Chuck E Cheese means I'll be eating before we go.

Have a good week everyone, and congrats to those who are still with it.  One more week, it's time to start thinking about "after". :o:)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 22...we are in the home stretch! I had a fabulous weekend away with my BFF! I did miss my husband and girls, but am refreshed and energized! I did really well with sticking to my Whole30 program. I even got a little exercise hiking 4+ miles to see some waterfalls! I hope everyone is off to a good start this week. :-)

ZumbaMeg: Welcome to the group! I wonder if your swelling fingers are due to something you are eating, as you certainly seem hydrated enough. I continue to carry inflammation even this far into my Whole30. My feet will often swell on and off...but I mostly notice it by evening time. I am going to try an AIP (autoimmune protocol) once I complete this Whole30. Do you have any autoimmune diseases?

BrettGA: Welcome! Sounds like this program is working well for you! Awesome!

BeckyB: Kudos to you for not giving in this past weekend! I think your used to this program...and it agrees with you!

Last week for us! Anyone going on past the 30 days?

Hello!  Yes, day 25!  Still going okay.  I just started thinking about 'after' yesterday and it seems strange to be so near the end.  I went down the list of the things we can't have on the W30 and I honestly couldn't think of one item that I just had to have back on day 31.  So I don't know!  Kinda nervous.

Hello!  Yes, day 25!  Still going okay.  I just started thinking about 'after' yesterday and it seems strange to be so near the end.  I went down the list of the things we can't have on the W30 and I honestly couldn't think of one item that I just had to have back on day 31.  So I don't know!  Kinda nervous.

Wow, it did go fast.  I remember when it was your Day 1.  

Friday, rolling into the last weekend!  I ordered Well Fed 2 and it should be on my porch when I get home from work later.  My plan for the weekend is to do one of her cook-ups and be prepared for next week. 

Sleep has been fabulous.  No real tiger blood but feeling great so I'll take that.  My birthday is at the end of the month and I'm considering continuing the Whole 30 up to that weekend and then just seeing what I may or may not want to indulge in.  I want to amp up my exercise also in the coming few weeks.  Lately it's been light walking and a little yoga.  I know I need to do more.  My car doesn't seem to want to drive to the gym after work.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Day 26, Seems kind of crazy to type that. Thinking back to the excitement of starting on Day 1 and all the struggles in between. Really proud to have made it this far with Day 30 right around the corner. 

I have been sleeping much better and longer lately which has been a welcome change. I have had bursts of tiger blood as well which has been awesome! I have been adding back my bicycling and been spending more time outdoors and prep cooking.

I have had challenges that have been really hard to get through, but, I did it. We went to the movies and I was surrounded by popcorn. The smell was overwhelming. But, didn't eat any. Went to a funeral where there was fried chicken, lunchmeat sandwiches, fruit, veggies and chips. Stuck with veggies and water. I feel like I am finally getting the hang of things at this point.

Plans for after...well, I must admit I am a bit nervous about that too. I think I will likely continue eating along the Paleo guidelines. It seems like a relatively easy transition from this. I think back on the things I have eliminated and though I would love to indulge in a couple, I can't imagine everything back on a regular basis. I plan to stick to the three meal structure as I find that freeing and easier to manager versus working in snacks.

I am anxious and nervous to weigh in next week. Although I feel great and so many things have improved, it would be really nice to have lost weight as well.

Friday, rolling into the last weekend!  I ordered Well Fed 2 and it should be on my porch when I get home from work later.  My plan for the weekend is to do one of her cook-ups and be prepared for next week. 

Sleep has been fabulous.  No real tiger blood but feeling great so I'll take that.  My birthday is at the end of the month and I'm considering continuing the Whole 30 up to that weekend and then just seeing what I may or may not want to indulge in.  I want to amp up my exercise also in the coming few weeks.  Lately it's been light walking and a little yoga.  I know I need to do more.  My car doesn't seem to want to drive to the gym after work.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sounds like a good plan. Well Fed 2 is an awesome book! Are you thinking you will jump right back on Whole30 after your birthday? If not than I would schedule some reintroduction time in there first. If you indulge in multiple off plan food groups on your birthday and you have a reaction you won't know what caused it. But if you are planning to jump right back on Whole30 after your birthday than you could do your reintroductions at a later time too. After my first whole30 my brother came to visit me so I carefully offroaded while he was there and then did 5 more days of whole30 and then did reintroductions.

Day 26 and I feel awful. I got a migraine yesterday, and it's still here today. I am at the tail end of my menstuation cycle, so I am pretty sure it may be one of the causes. I did go out to dinner with a group of friends Wednesday evening to celebrate my birthday, and I wonder if my food was cross-contaminated. Anyway, with not being able to get relief from ibuprofen, I am left to try icing my neck and forehead, and whatever else might work. I had hoped to run this morning, but that was a no go. I hope to wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed and headache free. Have a good weekend...last one for this W30! :-)

Hard to believe we're in the home stretch. It doesn't seem like it's been almost a whole month. Tomorrow evening I'm attending a potluck, and I plan to bring grilled chicken and roasted veggies. At least I know I'll be able to eat that. I doubt there will be anything else there what will be compliant. Two weeks ago, I attended a congregational meeting after church, and didn't know that lunch would be provided: pizza, cookies and soda. While everyone else was eating, I sat there, drinking a bottle of water.

Eating out or with others has been the biggest challenge for me. Prior to Whole30, I would dine out 3-4 times a week. I even belong to a group that meets for dinner at a different local restaurant every Wednesday night. But I've only eaten away from home twice in the last 26 days. Once was at Outback (salad with oil & vinegar, grilled steak and steamed veggies) and the other was a burger place where I found out you can order a "burger in a bowl" (basically a salad with a burger patty sitting top... I brought my own homemade mayo and Tessemae's ketchup). 

Just spying on my old thread! You guys are awesome for taking such great care of your bodies. I started in this group but had to drop out at day 11..... I'm on day 4 now (can you remember that far back) and chatting on another thread. I have my husband along for the ride this time so that really helps ( and no road trips or celebrations planned in the near future) just wanted to say: good for you!

Day 29.  Wow, I can't believe I've made it this far.  I'm proud. 

After our Whole 30 is officially over I'd like to continue this (or another) thread with those of you who, like me, are flying solo-Paleo in the household.  Kind of a hassle!!!

Congrats to those of you still here!  Have a great last couple days.

Whoo-hoo!!!!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA - I was on vacation for a week and had pretty limited access to the internet.  Sounds like everyone is doing well though which I'm so happy to hear! 

So I was cooking some chocolate chili (Well Fed recipe) on Friday and happened to glance at my jar of organic minced garlic - clear as day under ingredients SOYBEAN OIL.  Seriously.  I cried in the kitchen for about 10 minutes and then pulled myself together.  I've been checking labels religiously.  It just never  occurred to me that there would be anything in minced garlic except for you know, garlic!  This was a new brand I purchased (at Whole Foods) and I just didn't check...SOOOO, I'm continuing on eating Whole30 but officially starting a new Whole30 at some point soon.  I'm so disappointed.  Just curious when everyone who is doing a second is starting - maybe we can do it together?  Like I said, still eating Whole30 only.  Just  so frustrated and want to "finish out" this one even if I made an error.  Dates for the next?

HI all!  I cannot believe that tomorrow is DAY 30!!!!  Seriously, shocked to have made it through. Planning to do the reintroductions as instructed in the book just because I am curious to see how my body reacts to stuff. Then, plan on following a Paleo plan and see what happens. I think that is pretty close to how we have been eating - at least is seems like a nice transition over. I do love eating this way. I find it to be very easy to do at this point. It has become second nature and I love feeling good about what I am eating. I have finally found my energy, have been sleeping like a rock at night and have been working my bicycling back in. All fabulous.

BeckyB - I would LOVE to keep the group going. I am the solo-Paleo in my house as well and it does get to be a pain. Would be great to continue to draw support form the group!  Have you found any great Paleo sites/references?  I have been poking around and have a few from the Whole30 program.  Always on the hunt for more!

Bede - I almost cried reading your post. Seriously, I think there should be an exemption for this! Think of how many improvements you have made though. I still think that in and of itself is success. I have been surprised about the ingredients on things. I never would have expected that in garlic. I would be interested in a second round - haven't gotten as far as dates/timing just yet.

Ltaylor - thanks, it was a pretty rough couple of minutes. My daughter came running into the kitchen to see if mommy cut her hand (again - lol).  I'm trying to keep it in perspective - it's a lifestyle change and not a diet so just a bump in the road.  So great to hear that you're feeling great, have lots of energy and sleeping well!  I couldn't agree more on noticing those NSV!

Wow...tomorrow is day 30! This went fast for me...and I hope everyone else! Thank you all for being here...and your kind words of motivation through this W30 journey! I too plan to continue on and do another W30...but with AIP. I would still check in with everyone continuing on! :-)

So stinking excited to be here. Can't believe it has been 30 days. Interested to see how my body reacts to a few key things I would like to reintroduce. I can't think of any food I am just dying to add back in on a consistent basis. I really love eating this way. Planning to track down Well Fed and Well Fed 2 to add to my recipe collection.  The family is loving the dinners more and more, so, I figure if I can get them all converted at dinner it will make my life so much easier. They don't realize it, but, every dinner I have fixed for everyone has been according to my plan. The only times they didn't eat off my plan is when we ate out and I fixed something different.  You know what?  No one has complained about not having pasta or bread or crackers with dinner. The only complaint I have gotten is when hubby is staring into the white light of the fridge looking for junk and there is none. :-)

Congratulations everyone!!!!

Well I hopped on the scale first thing this morning and I'm down 9 pounds!  Whoo Hoo I'll take it!  The Whole 30 was such an eye opening experience for me.  I feel good and I'm sleeping great.  These next few days will be a time of reflection for me.

Congrats again to all of you who made it to this day! 

Well, the past month has been interesting. Overall, my Whole 30 experience has been very good. Enlightening, even. I've always known that food plays a big role in a person's overall health. I've just never had any personal hands-on evidence before now. It has definitely changed the way I will think about what I eat.

Was it a perfect, by-the-book Whole 30? Probably not, though I never cheated or slipped or knowingly ate something that was non-compliant. But, I also didn't exclusively eat organic produce, grass fed beef, free range chicken or cage free eggs. I bought the best food I could afford, and while some was organic, most was conventionally grown/raised. I also took ibuprofen on a couple of occasions to deal with some muscle pain (not related to my diet), and I understand that NSAIDs can undermine your progress. I also never fully eliminated snacks. My schedule is hectic, and I often go 7-8 hours between meals. So, I would occasionally have nuts, fruit, or celery with a little almond butter mid-morning and/or mid afternoon.

Thankfully, I never went through the "kill all the things" phase. Almost from the very start, I felt pretty good and had more energy. Not "I'm ready to do a triathlon" energy, but more than usual. I also felt a little more mental clarity. I wish I could say I slept better, but I have extenuating circumstances that prevent me from sleeping through the night (namely two old dogs who need to be let outside at least twice each night).

When all was said and done, I lost 10 lbs. A little surprising, because I couldn't really tell if I had lost any weight (though a friend said to me, "your face looks thinner"). My blood pressure continues to be in the normal range. And, my skin is not as dry.

I decided to begin my reintroduction phase with dairy. I had half & half in my morning coffee (YES!) and a little cheese in my omelette. For lunch, I had some plain Greek yogurt with some fresh berries. Dinner was a cheeseburger (hold the bun). For dessert, I had a scoop of ice cream. I realized while eating the ice cream, that it was the first sugar I'd had in a month, and it tasted very sweet. So far, so good. I don't feel bloated or uncomfortable. Hopefully, dairy is not a problem for me.

Archived