Vitamin D Deficiency

Hello all,

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but as far as I'm concerned this is a real medical condition that deserves as much attention as any other.

I'm again attempting a Whole30 after a failed attempt in March 2013.  I quit then because I had a small rash on my face, which would come and go, and I was hoping Whole30 would help... but instead, within three days, it spread the rash across my cheek and jawbone and down my neck. I was convinced it was from cutting out dairy - I was strictly primal at the time so all the other foods were the same as usual.

Fast forward a year, and I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency. I read up on supplements and the doctor agreed to my taking D3 instead of D2 since it's more natural and more easily metabolized by the body. I took 50,000iu a week from March to June. My rash went away.

I also want to add here that I live in a city, but I spend a lot of time outside. I prefer to be outside when the weather is halfway decent. I'm pretty well-tanned on all my extremities. I did a DNA test and it said that I was likely to have low blood serum levels of Vitamin D. Basically, it has nothing to do with my relationship with the sun.

So I started another Whole30 10 days ago after my usual return to Primal eating didn't take away my Christmas cookie weight - instead I gained a few more pounds. RIP Metabolism, on 1/15/2014.

It's been okay. There have been a lot of cakes in my life lately. Three in ten days. How does that even happen? I usually go 6 months without seeing one.  I've survived by freezing myself a slice for next month - the limit of my self control is telling myself I can have it later, not never.

But since yesterday my dairy cravings have been KILLING ME. My joints have been getting achy again, I've been grumpy at work and unable to focus.  I took one of my 50,000iu tablets two days ago and one again today but it's just not doing it for me. I need Vitamin D. Possibly more calcium too.  Cheese and sour cream have infiltrated my dreams.  I was lamenting the cake at work today when I realized I would have just as happily had a nice big glass of whole milk instead.  It's not the creaminess - I thought my tea with coconut milk in it today was perfectly lovely. It's the dairy.

I eat lots of clarified butter, cooked green veggies, and poached eggs. Even with eating healthy foods and the huge dose of D I'm still craving dairy. Clearly I'm still not getting enough.  Help.

You might also need to eat fat when taking your Vit D supplement.  Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin and is absorbed better when taken with some fat.  Also, your dairy cravings might just be sugar cravings in disguise. 

I had great results with Cod Liver Oil with a and d in it. as in within three days I didn't want to cry and punch people and I could walk without hurting. I was very low vitamin D, which can be caused by autoimmune issues. (your body not digesting properly) you owe it to your self to give it time.

Give it 30 days, if you still crave dairy, give it 30 more. You know it's said what you crave the most is probably what you are allergic too. And its very common for things to get WORSE before they get better. The pain, the runny noise, the swollen glands, as the body clears itself.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are vitamin D deficient then you can try taking Vitamin D orally in the form of sprays also. BetterYou DLux 1000 is the name of the spray if I remember it correctly.

Sorry, that one is non-compliant due to rice flour. There's lots of options for vitamin d supplements, though. The one I take is in olive oil.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am thinking about starting the diet and have some questions that I haven't found answers to. 1. I have several diagnosed medical conditions that I take meds. for do I continue them ? 2. Should I talk to my doctor before starting this ? 

I am thinking about starting the diet and have some questions that I haven't found answers to. 1. I have several diagnosed medical conditions that I take meds. for do I continue them ? 2. Should I talk to my doctor before starting this ? 

Yes, continue taking dr. prescribed meds, even if they contain off-plan ingredients. Dr's orders trump whole30 rules. Supplements are a different story. Yes, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor before you start--although, be aware that Dr's do not get much nutrition training, and some will not be particularly supportive. Here are a couple articles that may help:

http://whole30.com/2013/09/talk-to-your-doc-part-1/

http://whole30.com/2013/09/doctors-and-whole30/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived