I have the power!...maybe too much?

I'm not sure that this is a great trouble in need of shooting, but this forum seemed the best place to seek a little reassurance and advice. I'm 3 days into my first Whole30. It's been a remarkable experience so far if for nothing else then getting back into the kitchen. I've gotten a real sense of empowerment from being in control of my food and knowing exactly what's going into it and thus into me.

But I am a little worried that that sense of empowerment is leading to my portion sizes being too large. Last night I made broiled salmon - the fillets were small and fairly thin, and I ended up having two. They were delicious but there was also this sense of 'I did this and it is delicious and I want to enjoy it' (dinner also included a rather large salad, but the protein was the driver).

Tonight I made a beef stir fry using local grass-fed beef. (A bit of a treat, don't know that I can afford it all the time) and I went through the same thing - absolutely delicious and empowering (and spicy...bit heavy handed with the red pepper flake).

I don’t feel overfed after meals (though I know I can't exactly trust my stomach on this just yet), and I'm not craving food between meals, even today when my lunch got pushed back to 12:30 (about 7 hours between breakfast and lunch).

I know, logically, I may be overthinking this, but I guess I'm hoping to hear that from an external source who's more familiar with the Whole30 and what to expect.

Thank you in advance for your help!

While you were eating, did you think "man, I'm full, but this is so good I'm going to keep eating"? If not, then I'd say you are ok. You say you don't feel overfed, so I would continue doing what you're doing and just judge how you're feeling afterwards - if you feel overfull after a meal, cut down a little at the next meal and see how you feel.

• Moderators

Check out the meal planning template and work on composing meals that fit it: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Notice that you CAN eat two palm-size portions of protein at meals if you want. I frequently do. Common mistakes that people make with the template is not eating enough veggies or fat. For example, salad starts off looking like a lot of food until it is chewed. Then it is nothing. You have to eat an enormous amount of salad to get enough. The standard for veggies is more like wilted spinach, not raw spinach on a plate. It might take 4-6 big handfuls of spinach wilted down to fill a plate. And when it comes to fat, cooking fat often stays in the pot and does not make it into your stomach. So it is important to get fat other ways.... through fatty meats, eggs, or additions like olives or avocado.

You are probably doing okay! :)

• Moderators

I think it's great that you have such high awareness about this right off the bat. You've already gotten some great advice in this thread, and I just want to add that it's not uncommon for people to overeat a little when starting out, and that's largely, I think, because you're finally giving your body the solid nutrients of which it's been starved! Learning to eat to satisfaction rather than fullness is all part of the process. Just keep enjoying your food and take it easy. It's nothing to go making yourself crazy over!

Thank you all, I really do appreciate the feedback. Tweaked breakfast a little smaller this morning (2 eggs, a bit of leftover meat from last night, 3 handfuls of spinach, some bellpepper sticks and onions, and a dash of cholula as well as 1/2 an avocado, on the side, so not skimping on the fat) and was feeling decidedly hungry and grumpy by lunch. That may be a little of the 'kill all the things' mentality seeping through as well.

So I'll keep tweaking and learning along the way. Thank you again!

Dude, I frequently eat 3 eggs plus a scoop of ground beef plus vege plus fat for breakfast, so I'm not surprised you were hungry and grumpy!

I would always start with a big breakfast and then tweak down the later meals - for me, it has a flow on effect, so if I don't eat enough at breakfast, no matter how much I eat later in the day, I'll still be unsatisfied. (That's just me, you  might be different.)

But that's the bonus of having 30 days to play around - plenty of time to find your sweet spot :).

I err the other way and then my W30 attempts go down the pan (and I've done a few successful ones ... I should know by now!) but when I'm offroading I suddenly catch myself spooning mayo onto my salad or look at my breakfast and go "that's just too big" so I try and cut down and before I know it I'm starving and eating everything I can see.

IMO you are MUCH better off eating to satisfaction at mealtimes (clearly not to feeling overstuffed) even if that does look a bit scary on the plate; and then going 7 hours comfortably between meals. I sometimes think that we as a society have done ourselves no favours at all by totally divorcing ourselves from our bodies' own messages.

Every time I do a W30 I am re-educated about how MUCH I need to eat at a mealtime. (Maybe one day I'll get it!) I need to eat generous portions of protein and fat (as well as obviously veggies) and especially at breakfast. If I don't get enough at breakfast (for me, especially fat) then my whole day is a hungry dissatisfied unhappy one.

HTH.

Archived